Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should club shows start earlier?

So true. A lot of times 9 o'clock
    comes around, and you're an older person like me, and you don't want to go out anymore or at all now. Every other night of the week you'd be in bed. Changing to 6 or 7 means you can go out more often, or at all. Those "geezer gig" shows are great. The crowd is older and at that bar, they do later shows too. so double the house. I can't tell you how many times I've sat around and waited for the show to start and fell asleep, lost interest, finished.dinner but had time to kill and said fuck it. I imagine a lot of folks here, my age are the same way. I know when I do go out, I'm usually the oldest person there or ALL of the bands fans are my age. Scott at Auburn Event Center knows, start early and you see a lot of older people in the crowd.

So whaddaythink?
    Small venues for live music are struggling and in some cases, they're closing. Everything from changing music habits to increasing rents has come under scrutiny. But Toronto's Mar Sellars thinks the solution may rest with starting concerts earlier.

I have a hard time getting out the door before 9 or 10, so I prefer later shows.

Comment

I was just thinking about this today. Seems to me that shows are starting earlier, at least in my neck of the woods. Older people may have more disposable cash, so making sure they're at your show may be part of this. Even many New Year's Eve shows in the last few years have started pretty early and ended just after midnight. We are heading to Los Angeles this weekend for a show at the Whiskey A-Go-Go that will start at 7 pm.

However, club shows in New Orleans may not fit into this category. Especially during jazz fest, when we are hard pressed to get a bite to eat after the fairgrounds and get to the club for a 10 pm show. Even so, if a show starts at midnight or later, I'm not likely to be there.

Comment

Wimp!

all joking aside, i've been going to fest for almost 20 years. Early days i'd do a NMAS show scheduled to start at 1 a.m. where they would actually start even later and I would have a great time, roll into bed at 5 a.m., be back at fest when the gates open. Now, not so much.

but i accept there's a special place for those early a.m. experiences, and those vampire shows are a different vibe with a unique crowd, and if I am getting too old for it, so be it -- time to move aside and let the next generation have the fun I used to have. Those night shows have a special place in my heart, can't deny it.

Comment

Here in philly my local music club, the Boot and Saddle (two blocks from me), has a strut sound curfew of 11 pm. I love it unless it means that a headliner want to see gets abbreviated stage time. But usually it just means theee hours or so of good music at an affordable price ending Right on time to make weeknights attendance easy for me.

Comment

I admit to being a wimp! I used to stay out 'til 2 am and still get up at 6 am and go to work. Now I'm a week from retirement and I rarely stay out past 9:30. Getting old sux.

Comment

I’ve been to Scott’s other supported gigs, the so-called Geezer Gig, at the Country Club. What I see, as much as anything else, is people willing to travel 20+ miles for a show - something they wouldn’t (or shouldn’t due to fading night-vision) do if the show started at 9 vs. at 6. We’ve been playing what I call the biker/boater hours 2-7 pm) gigs for years on the Sacramento Delta, and the various outlying breweries and wineries have found those hours to be the magic time for holding customers at their venue. So, that takes care of Saturday & Sunday afternoons. Bear in mind that nobody’s doing their high-intensity/light-show performance at 4 on a Sunday afternoon, but it pays well & gets everyone home by 7 or 8 pm. We’re lucky to have the opportunity, but I live for those wild nights.

this showed in my FB feed tonight - was it my age? Postings about shows?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/chemi...lier-1.4059357

Comment

At 53 (after 30 years of Fests), I think that puts me into the geezer class. I go to a lot of shows at City Winery in NYC where the shows start shortly after the advertised start time of 8pm and typically are over by 10pm (perhaps 10:30 if there’s been an opening act). At City Winery, one also sits at a cramped table eating tuna tartare and sipping Cabernet. That’s great for those shows, but I can’t imagine doing that in New Orleans. In New Orleans, the later start times allow for a late afternoon / early evening nap, followed by a leisurely dinner, followed by a rollicking show into the wee hours. I probably can’t do that every night, but in New Orleans that works fine for me.

Comment

Ha! I just noticed that my profile photo is of me napping at the Fess (Ray Ban) (Acura) stage last year prepping for whomever I was going to see that evening. Perhaps The Meters at the Orpheum or M40F at Vaughan’s!
                  Last edited by Blumie; 5 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                    this showed in my FB feed tonight - was it my age? Postings about shows?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/chemi...lier-1.4059357
                    Apparently, it's a thing!

On those occasions when we do stay up drinking, dancing and listening to live music until the wee hours of the morning, there's nothing like it.

Comment

Owing to advancing age (which I will not complain about!) and higher ticket prices, I've found my night-show attendance during JF has steadily declined; it's not so much the start times, but just the total amount of time per day on my feet that my age has trouble with. And really, a 9 or 10 PM start (which has a tendency in NO to slide to 11ish, does provide a needed factor: time to shower after the FGs!

Comment

No! need time for the disco nap

Comment

Working...
                        X