X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tcloud
    started a topic Prayers for Billy Joe Shaver

Prayers for Billy Joe Shaver

Was about to head to his show tonight , was told he suffered a stroke.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN0VJh3DhKY

• larrybalmur
    replied
    Just played me "Ragged Old Truck". Never heard of him before. Thank You Bored.

Leave a comment:

• stynger
    replied
    Shaver is a tough SOB. Wasn't it last year he was in a bad accident and still performed the same night? Saw him once or twice. Get well Billy.

Leave a comment:

• tcloud
    replied
    Good news
    https://www.chron.com/entertainment/...o-12493279.php

Leave a comment:

• 20-20
    replied
    Talk about suffering? Remind me to tell you sometime about when there were no schoolbuses and kids had to walk to school.
    Last edited by 20-20; 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• innertube
    replied
    good luck to him....another great songwriter...what these guys have seen in a lifetime...

Tramp On Your Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiLMF7l3oo

Leave a comment:

• duende
    replied
    Troubadours, whether they be folkies, blues’ers or outlaw country singers, are a difficult lot to sort. I don’t doubt that you were trying to express what I’ve thought about them for a long time. Anyone who believed for a minute that they were shiftless work-dodging drifters didn’t know a damned thing about the commitment to the craft or the sacrifices they made in their personal lives to try to ply their “trade”. Having said that, the societal-fringe, or down-trodden, aspect of a troubadour’s life had a hellova lot more to do with choice if you were white. Have you reached the parts in Clifton’s book where the band had to drive an extra hour or two after the gig because they weren’t allowed in the hotels in the town they just played - to rave applause? And I’m no music scholar, but there’s a very definite Texas troubadour ethos and lifestyle choices that some guys didn’t survive for long - Townes comes to mind. The white folkies out west cultivated a train hobo persona, but some were highly educated and could change their social circumstances with a sport jacket. Let’s drop it and keep the positive energy ramping-up to Fest!

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied
    I like these old characters. Nobody like them now.

Leave a comment:

• 20-20
    replied
    Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
    Really20-20 ? Again with the race card ???

Get well Billy Joe Shavers. Whatever race you may be.
    Sorry and I did not mean it that way at all. As I said initially, I was not sure exactly how to address what I was thinking and trying to say without others reading into it something that was not there. It so happens that I’m currently reading a book about Zydeco of all things and Clifton Chenier in particular. A good book that I am enjoying. The author is at pains to describe just how inovative Clifton was. So as I read about Billy Joe I could not help but be reminded that there were and are some genuine original characters out there. Times have changed a bit and right now it is quite popular to try and make up for previous omissions or perceived slights. If you and others should choose to suggest or accuse me of using a so called “race card” just because I am attempting to point out the uniqueness of Billy Joe Shaver, so be it. I can take the heat.

Leave a comment:

• marignygreg
    replied
    Really20-20 ? Again with the race card ???

Get well Billy Joe Shavers. Whatever race you may be.

Leave a comment:

• 20-20
    replied
    Indeed. Not sure exactly how to address this but I've included a link to an article. It has become almost a de facto part of our societies way of thinking to presume and assume that the only real and genuine originals in the music biz are people of color and that most of them both living and dead have suffered disrespect and prejudice ect. and et al. Not suggesting that none did and do even to this day, but that obscures the point that there are some really genuine white folk out there also. Read the link. Best wishes Billy Joe

.https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...d82_story.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X