Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size doesn't matter. Festival goers should think smaller

Interesting. https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...k-smaller/amp/

I'm all for small. I mean, festivals. I don't go to Jazz Fest for the BNAs. Cool, small festivals are some of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

Comment

I'm not that concerned about the size of the festivals, it's the quality of the music at US music fests that has plummeted, even at Jazz Fest(due mainly to many of the greats having passed away). I have zero desire to see the likes of Pitbull, Eminem, The Killers or Beyonce! And I've seen every single old rocker that I ever want to see, some many, many times. The music festivals overall in Europe have much better and more interesting lineups. I have to laugh at the term "Boutique music festivals". We have small fests all of the time here in New Orleans!

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
        The music festivals overall in Europe have much better and more interesting lineups.
        I suppose that might be true, depending on your musical tastes, but have you ever tried to find a nice cold $9.00 Miller Lite for sale at a festival in Belgium, The Netherlands or Germany?

Bloody murder!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I suppose that might be true, depending on your musical tastes, but have you ever tried to find a nice cold $9.00 Miller Lite for sale at a festival in Belgium, The Netherlands or Germany?

Bloody murder!!!
          Who do you think you're kidding? Why would you be looking for Miller Lite when everyone knows you've become a Tyskie man?

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Bloody murder!!!
            I think the business model is that the music will be so bad that you're willing to buy a Miller Lite for nine dollars to kill the pain.

Comment

Give me a German or Mexican lager, or a Belgian trippel, any time over a hoppy IPA or American made pilsner.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post
                Give me a German or Mexican lager, or a Belgian trippel, any time over a hoppy IPA or American made pilsner.
                I'm a bit od'ed on IPAs myself. Some of them are still pretty tasty on a hot day, though.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post
                  I totally agree. Here in New Orleans and throughout Louisiana there seems to be a new beer popping up every week. Except for a couple of Abita brews, I am not a fan of any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I totally agree. Here in New Orleans and throughout Louisiana there seems to be a new beer popping up every week. Except for a couple of Abita brews, I am not a fan of any of them.
                    I am pretty much with you on that one.

I spend a lot of time in Nola, and Have tried numerous brew from lots of them.

We went to City Park fair grounds BeerFest and tried stacks of local beers and out of state ones and were not inspired very much.

Plus a lot were half warm

We also went to the opening of Port Orleans I think it was on Tchoup, a while back and the other half and I could only find one beer there that suited our tastes.

Last October we did a bit of a bike pub/brewery crawl and it was a battle for us, as neither of us like beer with any taste of sweetness or fruit.

At the end of one of the bike Nola rides I did find a couple of beers I liked at the Brewery we finished at in Mid City

I like the darker beers and have spent a bit of time in Germany and lots in other parts of Europe

But the descriptions of a lot of local beers from the smaller guys in Nola do not muchly match the taste.

I also know from my travels, that in the USA and Australia as soon as they call something a craft beer, it is a reason to hike the price up.

I have had a long day here but there was one sort of Black and Tan I used to get from Rouses by the case that was not too bad for the price.

I think that was from Yuengling, I had tried a few of the boot when that came out but much prefer the other one

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                      I'm all for small. I mean, festivals. I don't go to Jazz Fest for the BNAs. Cool, small festivals are some of the best concert experiences I've ever had.
                      I think small and focused is always preferable, but it may be an option only available to committed to non-profit festivals which the N.O. Jazz Fest is certainly not.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I think small and focused is always preferable, but it may be an option only available to committed to non-profit festivals which the N.O. Jazz Fest is certainly not.
                        Agreed, & the key is FOCUSED: blues fests, ACTUAL bluegrass, cajun/zydeco, reggae, etc

Comment

Since this turned into a beer thread...
                          Gards- Yuengling Black and Tan is one of my go-to cheap beers. Good choice.

I love craft beer but tend to stay away from anything high abv (maybe a few ounces), sweet or malty. I like new england style pale ales, dark styles (without sweetness) and sours/saisons best. I've found that in the new crop of Louisiana brews (that I've sampled) I find the same issues with numerous new producers in my region: producing too quickly so as to have a handful of styles that will satisfy the large majority of palates. This means IPAs and pale ales lacking balance and high abv monsters just to get drunk off of. When there's a happy ending the brewery usually barrel ages or conditions some brew while slinging what keeps the doors open. Once the more complex stuff is ready to be poured, the quality is much better. I get it that rarely someone is opening with barrel aged or cask conditioned or not so mainstream styles, so I give them some time before sampling in the tap room.

I've always enjoyed the bottled offerings from Bayou Teche. I've especially enjoyed their offerings when I've been able to sample on tap.

Comment

Working...
                          X