Lancaster Roots and Blues Festival Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancaster Roots and Blues Festival Question

Lancaster Roots and Blues Festival. I am interested in attending. The appearance of NRBQ may have something to do with that. If anyone has attended this interesting looking little Fest, could you post any info you think might be helpful to a newbie? Info about hotel rooms and just general info would be appreciated.

I grew up in Lancaster but left in 1977. Back then it was quite dead, but it has perked up quite a bit recently. Two summers ago I while visiting my mom, I was walking around downtown and heard some music so I followed the sound and found Walter Washington playing outside! This was unthinkable when I was a teenager. Drinking beer outside in the city or finding good coffee was also unthinkable back then, but times have changed. The city proper is very walkable (I think it's a square 2.5 miles across) and has retained it's colonial era charm, and all the venues are near each other, so I would definitely stay in the city. I don't know the hotel scene, but I think most of the rooms are in motels outside the city catering to the "Pennsylvania Dutch" tourist hustle. Of course, there are plenty of Air BnB's in city; they may be your best bet. The Tellus 360 venue is very cool--a small department store repurposed into a multi-stage and multi level Irish bar/community center with rooftop garden--kind of place I would welcome here in New Orleans.
    Last edited by belyin; 02-13-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Kinda have my eye on this one too. Maybe up and back it for a day .

Comment

We're considering this one, too. Will stay over Saturday night if we go. Any info on the festival would be helpful here as well.

Comment

I live in Lancaster and have attended this festival the past 2 years. The only hotels downtown and walkable to the music venues would be the Marriot on Penn Square and the Hotel Lancaster. There is Uber so if you do stay a little bit outside downtown you could Uber if you did not want to drive. There are a lot of good restaurants and coffee shops downtown and last year they had a couple food trucks near the main square. The music venues are mostly bars/clubs plus the convention center. Be prepared to stand as most places have little to no seating. The Elks club to me was the worst location as it it usually packed and hard to move around, very hot inside, and farther away from the other venues. Basically if I debating between 2 bands at the same time Id probably pick the one not at the Elks but that could just be my preference. If you are there Friday and/or Saturday, the Central Matket is open Fri. 6am-4pm, Sat. 6am-2pm for coffee, food, produce, Amish stuff. Fun just to walk around. There are local art galleries and shops, mainly around the first few blocks of Prince St. If you have any specific questions, Ill try to answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla View Post
            I live in Lancaster and have attended this festival the past 2 years. you have any specific questions, Ill try to answer them.
            Ayla, how's the parking for the festival? We've got a hotel booked for Saturday night several towns away. So we plan to just drive right to the festival Saturday, then come back again on Sunday.

Comment

I'd be there in a minute if I was on the East Coast!

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Ayla, how's the parking for the festival? We've got a hotel booked for Saturday night several towns away. So we plan to just drive right to the festival Saturday, then come back again on Sunday.
                Metered parking on the street Saturday until 6pm, then free, plus numerous parking garages that charge all day, not sure on price as I have not used one in awhile. It used to be $5 flat if you parked after 5pm in a garage, not sure about earlier. If you want park on the street a few blocks farther away, it will be free. Sunday all street parking is free but I think the garages still charge. There will not be a parking shortage, just depends on how much driving around you want to do to try to find a free street spot vs. just using a garage. Here is a map with the garages - https://www.lancasterparkingauthorit...ages-and-lots/
                Last edited by Ayla; 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM. Reason: added garage map

Comment

Metered parking on the street Saturday until 6pm, then free, plus numerous parking garages that charge all day, not sure on price as I have not used one in awhile. It used to be $5 flat if you parked after 5pm in a garage, not sure about earlier. If you want park on the street a few blocks farther away, it will be free. Sunday all street parking is free but I think the garages still charge. There will not be a parking shortage, just depends on how much driving around you want to do to try to find a free street spot vs. just using a garage. Here is a map with the garages - https://www.lancasterparkingauthorit...ages-and-lots/
                  Thanks for the info. Do you also have Lyft in the area?

Comment

Yes. Lyft came to Lancaster about a year ago but I have not personally used it.

Comment

Those NRBQ guys are alright. I just saw Eric Johnson & Arielle together in Sacramento - very entertaining! But the act Id be thrilled to see is Tommy Connell... that Guitar Trouble album, produced by Pete Anderson, was in constant rotation around my place.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                        Those NRBQ guys are alright. I just saw Eric Johnson & Arielle together in Sacramento - very entertaining! But the act Id be thrilled to see is Tommy Connell... that Guitar Trouble album, produced by Pete Anderson, was in constant rotation around my place.
                        Thanks for the Tommy Connell tip. I agree that Eric Johnson is a monster guitarist, but I get bored with him after a while the way I do with many virtuosos. Always found him lacking a bit in the soul and originality department, but I haven't seen him in a while. The Q show I saw Friday night was considerably more than "alright".

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Thanks for the Tommy Connell tip. I agree that Eric Johnson is a monster guitarist, but I get bored with him after a while the way I do with many virtuosos. Always found him lacking a bit in the soul and originality department, but I haven't seen him in a while. The Q show I saw Friday night was considerably more than "alright".
                          Saw Eric at a small fest a few years ago- he played new arrangements of his old tunes. Softer textures, a bit more friendly/accessible. I know what you mean though, have always felt that was about Satriani, Bonamassa, and a few others.

Comment

I live in Lancaster and have attended this festival the past 2 years. The only hotels downtown and walkable to the music venues would be the Marriot on Penn Square and the Hotel Lancaster. There is Uber so if you do stay a little bit outside downtown you could Uber if you did not want to drive. There are a lot of good restaurants and coffee shops downtown and last year they had a couple food trucks near the main square. The music venues are mostly bars/clubs plus the convention center. Be prepared to stand as most places have little to no seating. The Elks club to me was the worst location as it it usually packed and hard to move around, very hot inside, and farther away from the other venues. Basically if I debating between 2 bands at the same time Id probably pick the one not at the Elks but that could just be my preference. If you are there Friday and/or Saturday, the Central Matket is open Fri. 6am-4pm, Sat. 6am-2pm for coffee, food, produce, Amish stuff. Fun just to walk around. There are local art galleries and shops, mainly around the first few blocks of Prince St. If you have any specific questions, Ill try to answer them.
                            Ayla. about how much time would it take to walk from the main stage to the venues furthest away? (Elks Lodge, village Nightclub, Chameleon Club)
                            Last edited by The Krewe of Chew; 03-03-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

We'll be there Saturday for NRBQ! Looks like Krewe of Chew will be too. How 'bout you?

Comment

Working...
                              X