Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Quarter Fest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • French Quarter Fest

    headed to French quarterfest this year again. Last year kinda just wandered aimlessly. This year looking for some recommendations of some must see bands. Any help appreciated!!!

  • #2
    https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...lies-announced There are some suggestions here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lorim13 View Post
      headed to French quarterfest this year again. Last year kinda just wandered aimlessly. This year looking for some recommendations of some must see bands. Any help appreciated!!!
      Perhaps you could indicate what music genre(s) you prefer, as the spectrum is fairly wide as you will already know.
      I would wholeheartedly recommend Magnetic Ear for anyone with an affinity for Brass. I'm also a huge fan of Rory Danger & The Danger Dangers, a crazed only-in-New-Orleans Rockabilly supergroup, although I am well aware that about 50% of the folks I know, don't get it at all.

      I love pretty much anything else that Aurora Nealand is involved with.

      Also looking forward to catching Dayna Kurtz's new project Lulu and The Broadsides.

      By the way, I don't think wandering around aimlessly is such a bad idea...I'll bet you discovered some great sounding music of which you weren't previously aware.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post


        By the way, I don't think wandering around aimlessly is such a bad idea...
        And I'm positive you're speaking from past experience!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post

          And I'm positive you're speaking from past experience!
          My wanderings are always purposeful, thank you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Even on a purposeful wandering, the journey may be more rewarding than the destination.
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rory Danger and Danger Danger, "crazed rockabilly" alone doesn't do them justice your Past Poobahship; I would add punk speed thrash at a minimum. A supergroup in more than one sense, I love them!

              Comment


              • #8
                "Punk speed thrash at a minimum" ? Now that I don't get. Punk wannabees, maybe. I'll try them again this year. I love everything else Aurora does, but punk rock she's not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll defer to your judgement, I'm from waaay before punk though I was happy about the revolt against disco, and I've seen in print somewhere that The Who, one of my all-time faves were the first punk band. 'Punk speed thrash' was my impression of RD & DD at the only time I've caught them, Instruments A Comin' a couple of years back when they did "30 songs in 30 min", it was delerious, manic mayhem. Love 'em!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                    I'll defer to your judgement, I'm from waaay before punk though I was happy about the revolt against disco, and I've seen in print somewhere that The Who, one of my all-time faves were the first punk band. 'Punk speed thrash' was my impression of RD & DD at the only time I've caught them, Instruments A Comin' a couple of years back when they did "30 songs in 30 min", it was delerious, manic mayhem. Love 'em!
                    However you define them ( I myself think they are waaay too talented a bunch of musicians to be labelled "punk"), you can catch them at Siberia on F.Q.F Sunday. Inevitably, I've already got a ticket for James Hunter that night, but I will make it work somehow.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

                      Perhaps you could indicate what music genre(s) you prefer, as the spectrum is fairly wide as you will already know.
                      I would wholeheartedly recommend Magnetic Ear for anyone with an affinity for Brass. I'm also a huge fan of Rory Danger & The Danger Dangers, a crazed only-in-New-Orleans Rockabilly supergroup, although I am well aware that about 50% of the folks I know, don't get it at all.

                      I love pretty much anything else that Aurora Nealand is involved with.

                      Also looking forward to catching Dayna Kurtz's new project Lulu and The Broadsides.

                      By the way, I don't think wandering around aimlessly is such a bad idea...I'll bet you discovered some great sounding music of which you weren't previously aware.
                      Thanks! I wandered around and found Amanda Shaw last year which was excellent. I love fun dance-able stuff. Blue-grassy stuff,
                      Bands with tons of musicians and horns. Etc. etc.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lorim13 View Post

                        Thanks! I wandered around and found Amanda Shaw last year which was excellent. I love fun dance-able stuff. Blue-grassy stuff,
                        Bands with tons of musicians and horns. Etc. etc.
                        Just had another quick glance through the line up and I can't say I noticed any act that I would describe as blue-grassy. Perhaps someone else will find something.
                        Horns however, are not in short supply. In fact the whole spectrum is there from the more traditional bands like Dejans Olympia and Dukes of Dixieland to the near Rock of Bonerama and Egg Yolk Jubilee.

                        In between there are fresher takes on the old tradition from the likes of Shotgun Jazz and Tuba Skinny, funkier bands like the veteran (but still great) Dirty Dozen to the young turks such as T.B.C and Stooges as well as the all female Pinettes. There is one dedicated Brass Band stage which if I remember correctly is situated near the French Market, and a few traditional Jazz stages on the Saturday and Sunday.

                        At the bigger stages two of my favourites would be Honey Island Swamp Band and Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. Both of those are highly recommended. Lost Bayou Ramblers are also well worth checking out.

                        Have fun and enjoy your wanderings!


                        Edit: I can't believe I left out Rebirth and Corey Henry and Panorama and the New Orleans Nightcrawlers....so much great music!
                        Last edited by Canine Horror; 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For the non-Facebookers, we will again be meeting at B Mac's courtyard for some music, friends, and fun on Thursday, April 12. This will be the 3rd annual Threadhead French Quarter Fest Patry. Dave Jordan will be playing, along with
                          Will Rebholz, James Hausmen and Andre Bohren. There is no cover, so be sure to throw a few bucks in the tip jar!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lorim13 View Post

                            Thanks! I wandered around and found Amanda Shaw last year which was excellent. I love fun dance-able stuff. Blue-grassy stuff,
                            Bands with tons of musicians and horns. Etc. etc.
                            Well if you like Amanda Shaw & "fun dance-able stuff", I suggest you spend some time at Cajun/zydeco stage....fun and dance-able!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cubes up on the website.

                              https://frenchquarterfest.org/schedule/
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X