Question for French Quarter Festers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for French Quarter Festers

I've seen a lot of posts on this antiquated old bored, and mainly Facebook, about what you had to drink and eat, and what you did on weather canceled Saturday, but what were some of the musical highlights?

and what about you uncle festers?

Comment

Thursday: Alex McMurray was on his game. He had a full band with two keyboardists. One on piano and one on the Hammond B3 with Leslie speaker. Gave him a great sound, reminiscent of the Band. Also on Thursday, the N.O. Suspects were great. My first time seeing them without Reggie on bass. Best weather day, but the fumes from the oil spill were a bummer.

Friday: Bonarama were great as usual. At the Mint stage, Rory Danger and the Danger Dangers were making a statement. I take back all the shit I have given them on this here board. Sorry Aurora.

Saturday: Rain out, but I heard Black Laurel tore up the Hi Ho Lounge.

Sunday: Johnny Sansone was his awesome self. Caught a bit of Sierra Green and the Soul Machine before throwing in the towel. All in all, another great FQ Fest !!

Comment

I went Thurs. Lost Bayou Ramblers, Panorama Jazz Band and Dirty Dozen were my highlights.

Comment

I had a really good time on Friday and Sunday. Meschiya Lake put on her usual impassioned performance. It took a few songs for her to really get cooking as the early start (11:15) was a bit out of her usual element I believe. She killed it though. I had no issues getting up close for her set. Ellis was solid as well. I found that his takes on Monk tunes were a bit slow, but the man is no spring chicken and he has a very solid and tasteful band. Bonerama had the place rocking...so many Zeppelin songs. Last time I saw them in a tiny club up in Indy, so it was different seeing them on a big stage. After Beignets and a stop at the Cathedral for mass on Sunday morning, we made our way down to the Mint for Treme Brass. They hold a special place in my wife and I's heart, so I didn't want to miss them. After the show, my 75 year-old father turned to me and said, "turns out I really dig brass bands" Wish he could have seen Rebirth on Saturday, but the rain made that impossible. Lots of drive bys for a song here or a song there. I had a blast. Crowds were nuts for Dwayne Dopsie. The accordian / washboard duel is something that I need to see more often.

Comment

I agree about Thursday. Both the Lost Bayou Ramblers and Dirty Dozen were outstanding. It was as good a Dirty Dozen set as I have ever seen and the Ramblers are fantastic. Love how they use effects...a drum pad, fuzz bass, even on the button accordian...but never really get far from Cajun music. Louis Michot is such a great entertainer.

Yesterday, Raw Oyster Cult had Reggie Scanlan on bass instead of Dave P. from Johnny Sketch so it was four Radiators with Papa John Gros on keys instead of Ed. Great to basically hear the Radiators on a nice sunny day by the river! I always close my FQF with Astral Project at The Mint. After all the great music you see over the weekend, they are in an elevated status with that level of musicianship. 40 years in, it's like they are having a conversation, particularly Vidacovich and James Singleton. Wow! They were fantastic, as usual.

Comment

I only went Friday for Zachary Richard and all day Sunday. ZR was great fun. The musical highlight Sunday was Pinettes, I love me some brass band. I also saw the Nine Lives Live filming Sunday, and that was wonderful - Paul Sanchez and Chris Joseph were there. Outside of FQF, I saw Jazz Vipers at Spotted Cat Saturday night -- it was great fun. Legendary Gregg Stafford sat in for a couple tunes, and was still in the club when I left at nearly 2 am.

Comment

Besides what others have mentioned, my other highlight was Kumasi at the Voodoo Garden.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                  Besides what others have mentioned, my other highlight was Kumasi at the Voodoo Garden.
                  This is the best party.

Comment

I seemed to like the tighter semicover bands. New discoveries were Bon Bon Vivant who were busking on Royal Street on Sunday, The Catahoulas doing old RnB with George French singing, and Roamin' Jasmine at dba. John Boutte sounded great. King James was uniquely attired and had the best stage moves. Favorite food was the Gulf fish beignet at the Royal House booth.The night scene seemed like any other week in the year. Nothing to gripe about, but I like indoor shows the best, and FQF cannot replace Jazzfest for us.

Comment

Thursday we moved around a lot...enjoyed New Orleans Suspects and Irma Thomas.
                      Friday more hopping...started with Mia Borders. She had John Papa Gros on keyboards...really good set. Bonerama was good as usual. Enjoyed Rory Rory...as usual.
                      R**n on Saturday held off long enough to get breakfast in the quarter and get to a friends apt. on Chartres St. and hang out at Harry's Corner Bar.
                      Saturday night we went to the Hi Ho Lounge...saw a local band...Black Laurel. Their guitarist/vocalist was pretty good. Had a nice time.
                      Had to head home Sunday afternoon after watching Johnny Sansone and Raw Oyster Cult...both were excellent. Ready for Jazzfest!!!!
                      Last edited by zzupschuck; 04-16-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Nice to meet you at Hi Ho, zzupschuck !! Sounds like we were at a few of the same sets at FQ Fest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post
                          Thursday we moved around a lot...enjoyed New Orleans Suspects and Irma Thomas.
                          Friday more hopping...started with Mia Borders. She had John Papa Gros on keyboards...really good set. Bonerama was good as usual. Enjoyed Rory Rory...as usual.
                          R**n on Saturday held off long enough to get breakfast in the quarter and get to a friends apt. on Chartres St. and hang out at Harry's Corner Bar.
                          Saturday night we went to the Hi Ho Lounge...saw a local band...Black Laurel. Their guitarist/vocalist was pretty good. Had a nice time.
                          Had to head home Sunday afternoon after watching Johnny Sansone and Raw Oyster Cult...both were excellent. Ready for Jazzfest!!!!
                          Saw on the book today that John Papa will be with Mia at fest. As well as Arsene.

Comment

Some of our favorite sets at Drench Quarter Fest were: (thank you Andy J Forest for its new name)

Thursday: Alex McMurray (made me hungry for chicken!) and Alvin Youngblood Hart.
                            Friday: Bon Bon Vivant (you Patry-goer's will enjoy them) and Marshland for newer bands. I thought Water Seed was fun, high energy, and loved their look. Only caught half of Zachary Richard, wish I had seen more.
                            Saturday: spent a great afternoon at Buffas with A2D2 (trying to see all the Patry bands since I won't be there) and Dayna Kurtz. Then a rocking set by Black Laurel, and lots of talented musicians at the Mad Dogs & Englishmen tribute.
                            Sunday: Sam Price & the True Believers, Andy J. Forest Treeaux, James Hunter 6 at Santos Bar.

But the best set might have been Danielle Nicole at the Howlin Wolf Den on Monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

But the best set might have been Danielle Nicole at the Howlin Wolf Den on Monday night.
                              Yeah, she killed it.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X