David Byrneís set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Byrneís set

aside from some obvious keyboard patches, I think that might have been the best production AND sound of any act Iíve seen at Fest. Stunning staging that worked very well with the Jumbotron and a a remarkably Cirque-like band mobility on stage. Iím curious about how others felt. And my favorite moments were Davidís live-mic comments and laughter between songs, way more light-hearted than the OCD artist I was ready for.

So Iím that kind of jazzfest purist who eschews the BNAs and revels in discovering incredible lesser known talents like Ten Strings and a Goat Skin, who put on a wonderful performance on the Lagniappe Stage on Friday. But I made an exception for David Byrne and was rewarded with one of the best performances Iíve seen in my 31 years of jazzfests. After all these years, he still defines cool, heís still a great musician and songwriter, and he still choreographs a spectacular show. In fact I generally donít like ďchoreographedĒ shows; I prefer to simply watch bands perform their music and not dance around the stage to flashing lights. But I loved every minute of David Byrneís choreography, the drum lines in particular. It was a wonderful way to see his music being created.

If you have a chance to see David Byrne on his current tour, donít miss it.

Comment

• kapeman
      kapeman commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldnít agree more. Simply a magical, mesmerizing performance. How lucky are we to see that at JF?

Ha, I was writing my post about this set at the same time you were posting. One of the best acts Iíve seen at fest in 31 years.

Comment

Wow, I thought it was just me but I also thought this was one of *the* best live performances I have ever seen. The one thing that I would have liked was for him to use the backdrop that he is usually using on this tour (basically a stark white chain mail curtain; with their grey suits, all of the performers really stand out in front of it. Really eliminates the need for any lighting. Just a minor quibble though...)

Comment

Spectacular! In the purest sense of that word!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fairgrounds heard 'Burning Down The House'

Comment

Incredible fun that left me grinning ear to ear. It was such a different presentation I turned around to check the scene and it was looking like some of the crowd were really dancing along and others were watching with jaws dropped. They dropped Great Curve from the usual setlist wish they had found room for that - sometimes you just need to go over your time.
            Last edited by netdrew; 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

It was great. I happened to see him two weeks prior in Tucson, at a relatively small theater. The show is the same, but there is some staging that is really cool that they didn't have out at Fest. If you have a chance, catch him on tour.

Comment

David tries hard but heís no Bon Jovi.

Comment

No question it was a unique and creative production and I have never seen anything like it. There were certainly hours upon hours of rehearsal that went into the show. But I couldníít help asking myself if there is a line between performance art and pretension. Not saying he crossed it necessarily but he was close. Prefer the long gone days of the oversized suit and Bernie Worrell on keys.
                  Last edited by steeleye; 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                    aside from some obvious keyboard patches, I think that might have been the best production AND sound of any act Iíve seen at Fest. Stunning staging that worked very well with the Jumbotron and a a remarkably Cirque-like band mobility on stage. Iím curious about how others felt. And my favorite moments were Davidís live-mic comments and laughter between songs, way more light-hearted than the OCD artist I was ready for.
                    Yup!

DB looked great and seemed genuinely happy, what a performance! By far one of the best (if not the best) set I have ever seen at fest!

Comment

OMG, wasn't that fabulous? We didn't buy tickets for his tour because we knew we'd see him at Jazzfest, but now we're committed to finding some tickets for his performance in our hometown once we're back home.

Comment

It was a spectacular spectacle!

Comment

I was underwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                            I was underwhelmed.
                            Dick.
                            Swag!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X