Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Dear Quint —

Because of the rumors circulating of your BNA wish list for the 50th — Stones, McCartney, U2 — I feel compelled to write this open letter to you. I hope that somehow this, as well as any attendant comments get to you for your consideration.

Next year, the Good Lord willing, will be my 32d Fest (’76, ’80, ’88-’90, every year since ’92).

It is the love of my life. As someone more literate than me wrote, “the gravitational pull of my year.” My inclination is to list some of my favorite moments through the decades, but I’'ll spare you.

I remain forever grateful for all the precious moments I’'ve experienced and shared, thanks to the incredible foresight and work you, Allison Miner and patron saint George Wein have done through the decades.

While the BNAs with a tenuous if any connection at all to NO/La. culture have never been the draw for me, I understand and accept the need for their presence in today’s musical marketplace. If Aerosmith needs to play the big stage to draw people to keep this glorious event afloat, and for me to experience the Electrifying Crown Seekers, Johnny Sketch, Topsy Chapman, Tuba Skinny, the Klezmer All-Stars, et al, bring ‘'em on.

So great is my love for JazzFest, I go out of my way to purchase Shell gasoline, because of its sponsorship.

That said, it is my fervent hope that you and those who also have a say realize there are surely other, better ways to honor a half century of the best music festival extant in the world’s most musical city than to turn it into a Bono, Sir Paul or Mick&Keith clusterjam.

I know there are some similarly loyal regular attendees who share my feelings. And others just as in love with the Fest who disagree with me. I hope they will weigh in on this thread.

The 50th JazzFest will be a huge event regardless whom you choose to perform. My hope is you choose to focus on its raison d’ętre, the exposure of New Orleans and Louisiana music, food and culture through the decades.

I pray you reconsider if your intention is to go super big to “celebrate” the 50th.

Thanks for listening.

c d kaplan

Last edited by kyfester; 2 weeks ago.

Sure hope he reads this. How about a Zep reunion. Sammy Hagar and Circle. Just say U2 kinda boring through out the years. Local bands made this thing, hope many local band are included.

Comment

Not sure why anyone would take any of those rumors seriously. If anything they seemed to dial back the BNAs this year. And if any of those mega-acts did play, just don't go that day or stay away from the stage that they are playing on. Unfortunately many of the local acts that used to draw big crowds like The Neville Brothers, Dr John (we shall see), The Meters (looks like Art is retired) and Fats Domino are no longer around.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
        Not sure why anyone would take any of those rumors seriously. If anything they seemed to dial back the BNAs this year. And if any of those mega-acts did play, just don't go that day or stay away from the stage that they are playing on. Unfortunately many of the local acts that used to draw big crowds like The Neville Brothers, Dr John (we shall see), The Meters (looks like Art is retired) and Fats Domino are no longer around.
        I have been advised by a friend who has been close to Quint for decades that the Stones/ U2/ McCartney do indeed top Quint's wish list. Yes, it's technically hearsay, but credible. If any of those acts play, the strong likelihood is that it will be a Dave Mathews Band day, impossible to avoid a crush. When I go to New Orleans to JF, I want to be there every day, skipping a day while down there does not compute.

Comment

Double-edged sword. I would love to see The Stones or Sir Mac at Fest, but would hate the cluster-you-know-what it would create. Might buy the most expensive tickets for once in my life for either one of those two, but ,still, I loved Fest the way that it was this year. Aerosmith was a bit of a mess, but I stood at the back for two songs, and that was quite enough. Every year it is the locals and the smaller stages for me. Those two big names are the only two I really care about seeing at Fest, but if they never appear, I will be quite happy as well.

Comment

A beautiful post, ky!
            You should consider sending similar to Jan at Offbeat. She would probably print it.

Comment

New Orleans has a huge and a semi huge venue in The Super Dome and Smoothie King Arena. Why not bring back the night time shows and book Quint's dream team of acts (Stones, McCartney, U2) in there at night....maybe even on the days between. I would love the 50th to be special, and treat the local/regional acts as the BNA's at the fairgrounds.

Comment

It would be awesome if the 50th anniversary of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival totally focused on jazz and heritage. A girl can dream.

Smoothie King is perfect for U2, McCartney, Stones, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

I have been advised by a friend who has been close to Quint for decades that the Stones/ U2/ McCartney do indeed top Quint's wish list. Yes, it's technically hearsay, but credible. If any of those acts play, the strong likelihood is that it will be a Dave Mathews Band day, impossible to avoid a crush. When I go to New Orleans to JF, I want to be there every day, skipping a day while down there does not compute.
                  Even on the craziest days, which I was there for Bruce, DMB and for Elton, it was still easy to get around the rest of the fairgrounds. That being said it's hard to just ignore those big names. It was crazy crowded for Bruce the last couple of times that he played but we still were able to weasel our way up front.

Comment

I don't fear a Stones or McCartney appearance; the other end of the FG would likely be fine. I'd find a way to hear/see some of the Stones; McCartney I can miss. And a simp!e solution to extreme crowding might be day-specific tickets and capping sales, allowing for Brass Passes, etc. I like the idea of bringing back night shows too. For one thing, that might ease the competition for club/theater show tickets and the accompanying high prices. Now if we could just have Anders at Gentilly with a two-hour slot....

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesthinker 72 View Post
                      New Orleans has a huge and a semi huge venue in The Super Dome and Smoothie King Arena. Why not bring back the night time shows and book Quint's dream team of acts (Stones, McCartney, U2) in there at night....maybe even on the days between. I would love the 50th to be special, and treat the local/regional acts as the BNA's at the fairgrounds.
                      Great Ideas.

Comment

I don’t know how I feel. On the one hand I’ve warmed up to the headliners the last two years- catching and enjoying more of their sets than I did in years prior. On the other hand, I stayed home on Aerosmith Saturday anticipating big crowds.
                        I expect that if there were a Paul McCartney headlining spot I’d go as I know I’d have a friend or family member keen to make the trip to their first Fest to hear him. Though I’d have to convince them to do multiple days as I’m sure we would have to camp out all day for the closing set.
                        I have no idea why people like U2 as strongly as they do. I guess it’s a difference in taste. I wouldn’t pay any amount of money to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                          I have no idea why people like U2 as strongly as they do. I guess it’s a difference in taste. I wouldn’t pay any amount of money to hear them.
                          I really don't get U2 either. But they're a HUUUUUUGE act with a big following. Filled a football stadium here in Louisville on their last big tour. A friend gave me a ticket. I went because it was free and a beautiful summer night. I left halfway through after they did "Bullet in Blue Sky," which I like. That said, they're a big draw, and if Quint's thinking "big splash, big draw," they're certainly on the list.

Comment

I love the big BNA's, but the crowds make them tough to see. And although Quint appreciates your patronage, he's gonna do what he wants to do. He has his wish list and will work tirelessly to check them off year by year. I expect him to use the 50th anniversary as powerful card in his deck to lure the big boys in. I would LOVE to see a stripped down Stones doing 'Fortune Teller' or 'Time is on my Side' with Irma sitting in. And his decision will be gloriously reinforced, with two thirds of the days record breaking attendance at Acura.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

So great is my love for JazzFest, I go out of my way to purchase Shell gasoline, because of its sponsorship.

That's funny; when I lived in New Orleans in the mid '80s I was an engineer providing offshore wellsite services and was assigned exclusively to Shell. They were a pita to work with and were a big reason why I quit and went back to school. So if it wasn't for Shell I might still live in NOLA.

Comment

Working...
                              X