Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by innertube View Post

you misunderstand me....its not about the Stones money...they always get their money...Mick is a financial genius so we are told....so with you being a capitalist you and others should also understand this...I have posted this before but I am not the cool kid from New Orleans...I am the local redneck from north Louisiana...this thread is about Quint and Jazz Fest...do y'all really think that this past years Fest was a success to Quint or the vendors?...we all had a great time because it was not crowded and that we did not have to stand in lines...so that should tell you that there were less people...less spending of the dollar...even with perfect weather the first weekend...the problem was the lineup...and to me it was not all Quint's fault...these were the bands that were touring this year...yea he stuck his hand in the Aretha trap again...what percent of fest goers are really from out of town?...out of state?...you no longer have to go to Jazz Fest you can pick other festivals...yes we all love this crazy place called New Orleans...but the Fest is not in a beautiful place....its not in the mountains....its at a race track...lots of competition now for that festival dollar...Quint's job is to find the right BNA to get people to spend their money and book hotel rooms...he has to get these people with money to leave their homes in Baton Rouge...Lafayette...Shreveport...and come down to New Orleans and have a good time and see some BNA...the Stones or Elton John or whoever will get it done...people in Louisiana have all seen the New Orleans acts many times...so the thought of just New Orleans and other acts that only 10% of the people have heard of sounds cool...I just don't think that will move the numbers...I had one friend go to Fest this year...everyone else that I know that would normally go stayed home..."no one I really want to see"...
    Good perspectives across the board. You make a number of reasonable points and I cannot find fault with any of it at first read. My only initial thoughts are with respect to my very own reactions to the line-up and my own personal reasons for coming to New Orleans from out of town. I visit the town multiple times a year because I like both the music but just as much as the music I enjoy dining out. I spend money all over town doing both. I have grown somewhat tired of the crowds at the large stages at the fairgrounds that the BNA's attract and as a result, I was greatly relived that this years line-up was absent some of that. Your points with respect to the revenues I cannot really address since I am not privy to the numbers but as nothing more than a "gut" feeling, back in the days gone by when the Jazz and Heritage Festival was a much more family orientated event, I suspect that the local artists and musicians made out just as well. Perhaps not, it's just a guess. The atmosphere was certainly different, with mothers and fathers and children and grandchildren and aunts and uncles and cousins all getting together, meeting up beneath the various flags and having a holiday at the fairgrounds. The Rolling Stones and David Byrne et. al are not conducive to encouraging that. I spent the same amount of money, actually even more, this year as always. The entire music industry has grown into such a behemoth that if you are viewing this event as just another revenue producer in competition with the myriad of others worldwide fighting for every last penny than it is quite clear that your points gain more traction. On the other hand, if one enjoys it as a phenomenon that stands somewhat alone with it's very own individualistic characteristics and attractions then that changes the perspective. Whatever. I've run on too long already. Nice post.

Comment

you misunderstand me....its not about the Stones money...they always get their money...Mick is a financial genius so we are told....so with you being a capitalist you and others should also understand this...I have posted this before but I am not the cool kid from New Orleans...I am the local redneck from north Louisiana...this thread is about Quint and Jazz Fest...do y'all really think that this past years Fest was a success to Quint or the vendors?...we all had a great time because it was not crowded and that we did not have to stand in lines...so that should tell you that there were less people...less spending of the dollar...even with perfect weather the first weekend...the problem was the lineup...and to me it was not all Quint's fault...these were the bands that were touring this year...yea he stuck his hand in the Aretha trap again...what percent of fest goers are really from out of town?...out of state?...you no longer have to go to Jazz Fest you can pick other festivals...yes we all love this crazy place called New Orleans...but the Fest is not in a beautiful place....its not in the mountains....its at a race track...lots of competition now for that festival dollar...Quint's job is to find the right BNA to get people to spend their money and book hotel rooms...he has to get these people with money to leave their homes in Baton Rouge...Lafayette...Shreveport...and come down to New Orleans and have a good time and see some BNA...the Stones or Elton John or whoever will get it done...people in Louisiana have all seen the New Orleans acts many times...so the thought of just New Orleans and other acts that only 10% of the people have heard of sounds cool...I just don't think that will move the numbers...I had one friend go to Fest this year...everyone else that I know that would normally go stayed home..."no one I really want to see"...
      I think you are exactly right on all counts. Jazz Fest is a major festival in what is now a competitive market. Your comments about Louisiana residents make sense to me as well. French Quarter Fest is a showcase for local and Louisiana artists and from this Bored I can tell that it has siphoned some Fest goers away. The Race Track isn't beautiful, but it has been working until an Elton or someone like The Stones gets booked. This grumpy old choreography hating rock and roll capitalist completely agrees.

Comment

• Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
        Report from Rolling Stone on Stones tour opener.

Something happened when the Rolling Stones played "Miss You" at Dublin's Croke Park on Thursday night. At most Stones concerts, the song seems skippable – a must-play staple that winds up feeling like a slog. But last night, the disco hit seemed to inspire everyone. It happened shortly into the song; as Charlie Watts played his sturdy four-on-the-floor stomp, bassist Darryl Jones decided to go on a funk excursion, unleashing a fast series of staccato notes. This caused Keith Richards to light up and add some colorful chords; Mick Jagger danced like a madman, and Ronnie Wood grinned as he made his Strat cry.

The Rolling Stones are still a great live band in 2018 because of these kinds of moments, the ones no one sees coming. The opening night of the latest leg of the band's European No Filter tour was full of them – from Richards grinning as he let out a burst of Hubert Sumlin–inspired licks during "Ride 'Em on Down" to the band jamming out on the super-rarity "Neighbours," causing Jagger to remark, "Well, that was rocking."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...ickoff-w520434
        Someone needs to tell Rolling Stone about those local bar bands that Rev knows so well.

Comment

• Debating if the Stones are coming, lol. Love me some gullible tourists. Bet I can tell y’all where you got your shoes...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Quint View Post
            Debating if the Stones are coming, lol. Love me some gullible tourists. Bet I can tell y’all where you got your shoes...lol
            Oh, darling, daring, unjustly maligned and perpetually misunderstood mLuke66, this is just too sad, even coming from you.

Don't you feel a little dirty that you can't grandly, boldly denounce the poor, innocent and hopelessly naive Threadheads as racist, clueless carpetbaggers using your own proud, distinctive moniker, instead of slinking back here hoping the gullible idiots reading your biting, scathing, acerbic, brutally candid words of hardwon wisdom can't see thru your brilliant, cunning alterego? (Getting banned here must be like getting caught shoplifting at a charity bake sale benefitting blind, mentally disabled, orphaned toddlers)

You were the self-styled Defender of the REAL New Orleans, now you are regulated to trolling a small handful of the last hardcores on a dying, neglected messageboard.

Why don't you try joining a board for parents who have lost a child to leukemia, you could have yourself a righteous old laff riot telling them to grow up and stop their blubbbering.

lol indeed, friend, lol indeed.

PS--Say Hey to your close personal friend Rickie Lee Jones for me, K?

Comment

• Yep. Definitely Luke. Welcome home.

Comment

• Well that settles it we’’’re raising the price of beer next year and putting Cowboy Mouth on the poster.
                Last edited by Quint; 05-21-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Good perspectives across the board. You make a number of reasonable points and I cannot find fault with any of it at first read. My only initial thoughts are with respect to my very own reactions to the line-up and my own personal reasons for coming to New Orleans from out of town. I visit the town multiple times a year because I like both the music but just as much as the music I enjoy dining out. I spend money all over town doing both. I have grown somewhat tired of the crowds at the large stages at the fairgrounds that the BNA's attract and as a result, I was greatly relived that this years line-up was absent some of that. Your points with respect to the revenues I cannot really address since I am not privy to the numbers but as nothing more than a "gut" feeling, back in the days gone by when the Jazz and Heritage Festival was a much more family orientated event, I suspect that the local artists and musicians made out just as well. Perhaps not, it's just a guess. The atmosphere was certainly different, with mothers and fathers and children and grandchildren and aunts and uncles and cousins all getting together, meeting up beneath the various flags and having a holiday at the fairgrounds. The Rolling Stones and David Byrne et. al are not conducive to encouraging that. I spent the same amount of money, actually even more, this year as always. The entire music industry has grown into such a behemoth that if you are viewing this event as just another revenue producer in competition with the myriad of others worldwide fighting for every last penny than it is quite clear that your points gain more traction. On the other hand, if one enjoys it as a phenomenon that stands somewhat alone with it's very own individualistic characteristics and attractions then that changes the perspective. Whatever. I've run on too long already. Nice post.
                  correct...the families and their groups are what I am talking about...they are the locals more or less...live within easy driving distance...if is a pretty day they hop in the car...the other point you are making is also what I am talking about...you come more than once a year to eat or whatever...so do these people I am talking about...if you are in Shreveport or several hours away you have to make an effort to go to New Orleans, but you can anytime...so why go at the most expensive and crowded time just to eat wonderful food...even though we can get most of the fresh raw ingredients in central-north Louisiana very few restaurants can duplicate that food around here...and I have several friends that own restaurants...now last night I had one of the best crab cakes I have ever eaten...and my friend makes them often when he can get the fresh jumbo lump...ha...but he is from Baltimore so there you go...

Comment

• ha...now I am spam...??

Comment

correct...the families and their groups are what I am talking about...they are the locals more or less...live within easy driving distance...if is a pretty day they hop in the car...the other point you are making is also what I am talking about...you come more than once a year to eat or whatever...so do these people I am talking about...if you are in Shreveport or several hours away you have to make an effort to go to New Orleans, but you can anytime...so why go at the most expensive and crowded time just to eat wonderful food...even though we can get most of the fresh raw ingredients in central-north Louisiana very few restaurants can duplicate that food around here...and I have several friends that own restaurants...now last night I had one of the best crab cakes I have ever eaten...and my friend makes them often when he can get the fresh jumbo lump...ha...but he is from Baltimore so there you go...
                      As an old tyme East Coaster raised by the Chesapeake Bay I have been taught to be prejudiced. Those crabs are very very good. Locals of course, like locals everywhere think that their food is the best. I used to think that Bay oysters were the best. I am an oyster freak. Oysters have really taken a hit over the years. Now adays you just have to deal with whats left. Three dozen just gets you started. If you like oysters. Ah-h-h-h eating!!! Ain't it grand? My dinner bills for the two weeks of Jazzfest averaged----"averaged" $200.00 for just the wife and I! Not to mention lunch at the various establishments on non-fest days. Don't even get me started on my Liuzza's morning bar bills pre-gate opening!

Comment

As an old tyme East Coaster raised by the Chesapeake Bay I have been taught to be prejudiced. Those crabs are very very good. Locals of course, like locals everywhere think that their food is the best. I used to think that Bay oysters were the best. I am an oyster freak. Oysters have really taken a hit over the years. Now adays you just have to deal with whats left. Three dozen just gets you started. If you like oysters. Ah-h-h-h eating!!! Ain't it grand? My dinner bills for the two weeks of Jazzfest averaged----"averaged" $200.00 for just the wife and I! Not to mention lunch at the various establishments on non-fest days. Don't even get me started on my Liuzza's morning bar bills pre-gate opening!
                        As an avid oyster fan, I agree about the Bay. When I first started teaching in Virginia in the small Northern Neck town of Kilmarnock in 81 some of my students, the sons of oystermen, would sell me a bushel of oysters from the bay for fourteen bucks (in hopes of grade inflation, no doubt). The oysters were huge so one bushel would feed a group of people. Those days are over. Lately Gulf Coast oysters have been tasting pretty good to me. What has this got to do with Jazz Fest or The Rolling Stones? Thanks a lot for the drift bait, buddy.

Comment

Some things are intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.
                          Some casual observers might just believe the prejudice they had before observing. All sorts of different people in NYC, not just rich whities. I know from experience

Comment

• Originally posted by snookums View Post

Maybe it's time to add additional stages at City Park?
                            put the BNA there and leave the Fest as the Fest - one ticket/ pass for both...
                            sure maybe a bit of a hike - but it could be the best of both worlds...?

I concur on the Stones!! - the last couple/four or so... of tours I felt I had to go - and had way more fun than anticipated!
                            I agree on the City park idea....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Someone needs to tell Rolling Stone about those local bar bands that Rev knows so well.
                              I stopped reading Rolling Stone over 30 years ago. They completely sold out....

Comment

• Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                                Yep. Definitely Luke. Welcome home.
                                How can you tell?

Comment

Working...
                                X