Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by innertube View Post

you misunderstand me....its not about the Stones money...they always get their money...Mick is a financial genius so we are told....so with you being a capitalist you and others should also understand this...I have posted this before but I am not the cool kid from New Orleans...I am the local redneck from north Louisiana...this thread is about Quint and Jazz Fest...do y'all really think that this past years Fest was a success to Quint or the vendors?...we all had a great time because it was not crowded and that we did not have to stand in lines...so that should tell you that there were less people...less spending of the dollar...even with perfect weather the first weekend...the problem was the lineup...and to me it was not all Quint's fault...these were the bands that were touring this year...yea he stuck his hand in the Aretha trap again...what percent of fest goers are really from out of town?...out of state?...you no longer have to go to Jazz Fest you can pick other festivals...yes we all love this crazy place called New Orleans...but the Fest is not in a beautiful place....its not in the mountains....its at a race track...lots of competition now for that festival dollar...Quint's job is to find the right BNA to get people to spend their money and book hotel rooms...he has to get these people with money to leave their homes in Baton Rouge...Lafayette...Shreveport...and come down to New Orleans and have a good time and see some BNA...the Stones or Elton John or whoever will get it done...people in Louisiana have all seen the New Orleans acts many times...so the thought of just New Orleans and other acts that only 10% of the people have heard of sounds cool...I just don't think that will move the numbers...I had one friend go to Fest this year...everyone else that I know that would normally go stayed home..."no one I really want to see"...
    "what percent of fest goers are really from out of town?" My friend does surveys at JF every year, she says the vaste majority are from out of state
    "Quint's job is to find the right BNA to get people to spend their money and book hotel rooms..." REALLY? I thought it was to promote Louisiana music... you're looking at it from a purely commercial standpoint. If his job was what you say, he could just get Taylor Swift & a bunch of rappers....

Comment

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post

How can you tell?
      LOL !

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

LOL !
        I'm serious.... how do you know its MLuke?

Comment

• Maybe just get Mick Taylor for the Blues Tent and use a bit of trickery: ROLLING STONE* and in microscopic print: Lead guitarist on Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers only.

Comment

I'm serious.... how do you know its MLuke?
            Believe me, it's him.

If you got kicked off the board and reappeared under a different handle, it would only take a few posts about BNA's, the whitening of Jazz Fest or Zydeco dancing to call you out.

Comment

"what percent of fest goers are really from out of town?" My friend does surveys at JF every year, she says the vaste majority are from out of state
              "Quint's job is to find the right BNA to get people to spend their money and book hotel rooms..." REALLY? I thought it was to promote Louisiana music... you're looking at it from a purely commercial standpoint. If his job was what you say, he could just get Taylor Swift & a bunch of rappers....
              His actual job is to field a lineup that's not totally outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, a lineup that still has wide enough commercial appeal to draw big numbers at the gate and raise revenue that will fund the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation. Now we can quibble about how far some of these BNAs fall outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, and well, we've been doing that for the last ten or so years. That debate isn't going to end any time soon, but look at your tongue-in-cheek suggestion. You know he hasn't gone 100% commercial with acts that are nothing but a massive draw, and there's an obvious reason for that. You or many others may not care for certain acts, but there has been a consistent attempt to field a lineup that has at least some tangential connection to Louisiana and/or the history of New Orleans music.

But Jim, you and others consistently ignore the fact that the festival funds the Foundation, which funds numerous free festivals, concerts, lectures, exhibits, educational programs, arts networking events, and cultural projects in the city. You don't live in New Orleans, so that might not matter for you, but the fruits of the Foundation's labor do matter to the people who live in that city. The Foundation's budget and reach would be drastically slashed if Jazz Fest only fielded a lineup of Louisiana acts. You and I would gladly go, but hundreds of thousands of people would not, and the revenue would vanish.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure he's responding to 'revjimk', not you.

Comment

• Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                  I'm pretty sure he's responding to 'revjimk', not you.
                  Got it! I didn't pick up on the fact that the "Rev's" first name was Jim, nor have I ever seen anyone refer to him as such. I will delete my post. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                    I'm pretty sure he's responding to 'revjimk', not you.
                    Personally I believe that's he's addressing his fellow "whities" up in NewYork.

Comment

I stopped reading Rolling Stone over 30 years ago. They completely sold out....
                      So did I pretty much. That doesn't mean that the writer of the review we are discussing doesn't have a legitimate opinion about The current Stones in performance. Of course, the Rolling Stone writer suffers from the great disadvantage of actually having seen a recent Stones show, unlike you who saw them last on a bad night in 1981. So we should all listen to you instead. BBBBBBBBad to the Bone!

Comment

• Things are intuitively obvious if you’ve lived in New York.
                        Just ask Donald Trump or Al Sharpton......

or the rev

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Of course, the Rolling Stone writer suffers from the great disadvantage of actually having seen a recent Stones show, unlike you who saw them last on a bad night in 1981. So we should all listen to you instead.
                          Logic, reason, a dash of pointed yet gentle sarcasm deftly directed at The Rev?

I suppose you also go deer hunting down at the local petting zoo?

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                            Things are intuitively obvious if you’ve lived in New York.
                            Just ask Donald Trump or Al Sharpton......

or the rev
                            How much time have you spent there? Sounds like you're speaking from ignorance. To understand New York, you need to
                            spend time in the neighborhoods
                            On second thought, you're speaking from what you see in the media. They don't make a big deal about the Dominican neighborhoods, or Jewish neighborhoods right next to Arab neighborhoods or any other
                            "everyday people"
                            Actually, we're all like Ralph Kramden & Ed Norton....
                            Last edited by revjimk; 05-23-2018, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

His actual job is to field a lineup that's not totally outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, a lineup that still has wide enough commercial appeal to draw big numbers at the gate and raise revenue that will fund the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation. Now we can quibble about how far some of these BNAs fall outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, and well, we've been doing that for the last ten or so years. That debate isn't going to end any time soon, but look at your tongue-in-cheek suggestion. You know he hasn't gone 100% commercial with acts that are nothing but a massive draw, and there's an obvious reason for that. You or many others may not care for certain acts, but there has been a consistent attempt to field a lineup that has at least some tangential connection to Louisiana and/or the history of New Orleans music.

But Jim, you and others consistently ignore the fact that the festival funds the Foundation, which funds numerous free festivals, concerts, lectures, exhibits, educational programs, arts networking events, and cultural projects in the city. You don't live in New Orleans, so that might not matter for you, but the fruits of the Foundation's labor do matter to the people who live in that city. The Foundation's budget and reach would be drastically slashed if Jazz Fest only fielded a lineup of Louisiana acts. You and I would gladly go, but hundreds of thousands of people would not, and the revenue would vanish.
                              Thats your take about his "actual" job. It may have evolved into a fundraiser, but it started as a showcase for unrecognized Louisiana musical geniuses. who all created their masterpieces without any need for a foundation

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Logic, reason, a dash of pointed yet gentle sarcasm deftly directed at The Rev?

I suppose you also go deer hunting down at the local petting zoo?
                                Please focus on jazzfest & music. Your personal comments are not appreciated, & I don't want to get into another round of pissing contests. I never mention you, so show me the same courtesy... OK?

Comment

Working...
                                X