Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

    His actual job is to field a lineup that's not totally outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, a lineup that still has wide enough commercial appeal to draw big numbers at the gate and raise revenue that will fund the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation. Now we can quibble about how far some of these BNAs fall outside the realm of music that's been influenced by New Orleans, and well, we've been doing that for the last ten or so years. That debate isn't going to end any time soon, but look at your tongue-in-cheek suggestion. You know he hasn't gone 100% commercial with acts that are nothing but a massive draw, and there's an obvious reason for that. You or many others may not care for certain acts, but there has been a consistent attempt to field a lineup that has at least some tangential connection to Louisiana and/or the history of New Orleans music.

    But Jim, you and others consistently ignore the fact that the festival funds the Foundation, which funds numerous free festivals, concerts, lectures, exhibits, educational programs, arts networking events, and cultural projects in the city. You don't live in New Orleans, so that might not matter for you, but the fruits of the Foundation's labor do matter to the people who live in that city. The Foundation's budget and reach would be drastically slashed if Jazz Fest only fielded a lineup of Louisiana acts. You and I would gladly go, but hundreds of thousands of people would not, and the revenue would vanish.
    "but the fruits of the Foundation's labor domatter to the people who live in that city."..... You're right. there are plenty of Louisiana bands pissed off about not being invited to play JF

    Comment


    • Originally posted by revjimk View Post

      Please focus on jazzfest & music. Your personal comments are not appreciated, & I don't want to get into another round of pissing contests. I never mention you, so show me the same courtesy... OK?
      Umm, yeah, your civility, decorum and unflagging respect for others is the stuff of legend around here, you poor, gracious yet unjustly maligned gentleman of letters....

      Comment


      • <Moderator> Please take the personal sniping to the private message feature </>
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

        Comment


        • I’m all for the Foundation, as I am for the festival being “profitable” - to the extent it can be when you take on a serious underwriter. Some of y’all have been to the net proceeds rodeo before, so we can dispense with the fuzzy accounting and operating overhead costs associated. George Wein backed the kids in the original Fest, and in doing so passed the torch that he’d lit at Newport. I don’t see a lot of mentoring, some NO festivals aside, in the Jazz & Heritage model but it has certainly spawned a lot of red-headed step-children. It is clear that someone’s got Quint’s ear based on new acts and the choices for headliners (I’m picturing a 35 yr-old in a late-model Camaro blasting Aerosmith one minute, and Tank & The Bangas the next as that influencer, which scares me a little). I seriously hope that anyone hoping to work with the organization is obligated to listen to OZ at least 100 hours a week. Free your mind, and your ass (and talent scouting) will follow.

          I have one-and-done friends for whom the Kool-aid didn’t take. Blame it on crowds, the heat/old-age/rain/whatever, but I’m most curious about that demographic. How does Jazzfest, or any festival for that matter, earn the loyalty and blind commitment from the attendees that the next year’s fest line-up and experience will equal or top the last? It’s an intangible for anyone with more than 2 fest’s under their belt. Awkward as it may be, “We” don’t really factor much in this discussion if we can’t get on-board with the succession plan that Fest will have to implement to lure the next generation - or bring back the geriatric set that shined it on after a trip or two - out to the fairgrounds.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by swag View Post
            <Moderator> Please take the personal sniping to the private message feature </>
            Thanks!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

              Someone needs to tell Rolling Stone about those local bar bands that Rev knows so well.
              Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcR1kH0N5tQ

              Comment


              • Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjdob6mkLQ

                Comment


                • Two good good and competent,bands Rev, but it's predictable guitar slinger stuff. Not greasy or surprising enough for me. Would I say better than The Stones? No. But two fine bands. and both are definitely better than George Thorogood. Here's a bar band for ya, Rev.!

                  https://www.facebook.com/david.grins...DYzNjUwMDgzMA/

                  It that one doesn't work for those Facebook escapees, try this one

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xq85xyW2Y
                  Last edited by Kemp; 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by duende View Post
                    I’m all for the Foundation, as I am for the festival being “profitable” - to the extent it can be when you take on a serious underwriter. Some of y’all have been to the net proceeds rodeo before, so we can dispense with the fuzzy accounting and operating overhead costs associated. George Wein backed the kids in the original Fest, and in doing so passed the torch that he’d lit at Newport. I don’t see a lot of mentoring, some NO festivals aside, in the Jazz & Heritage model but it has certainly spawned a lot of red-headed step-children. It is clear that someone’s got Quint’s ear based on new acts and the choices for headliners (I’m picturing a 35 yr-old in a late-model Camaro blasting Aerosmith one minute, and Tank & The Bangas the next as that influencer, which scares me a little). I seriously hope that anyone hoping to work with the organization is obligated to listen to OZ at least 100 hours a week. Free your mind, and your ass (and talent scouting) will follow.

                    I have one-and-done friends for whom the Kool-aid didn’t take. Blame it on crowds, the heat/old-age/rain/whatever, but I’m most curious about that demographic. How does Jazzfest, or any festival for that matter, earn the loyalty and blind commitment from the attendees that the next year’s fest line-up and experience will equal or top the last? It’s an intangible for anyone with more than 2 fest’s under their belt. Awkward as it may be, “We” don’t really factor much in this discussion if we can’t get on-board with the succession plan that Fest will have to implement to lure the next generation - or bring back the geriatric set that shined it on after a trip or two - out to the fairgrounds.
                    Kemp, you used to be trained in the English prose. Do you know what this perfectly gentlemanly but verbose young man is trying to say? I thought that I was following along but then I fell into the rabbit hole and got lost.
                    I notice that there is a “like” so it must be good.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

                      Kemp, you used to be trained in the English prose. Do you know what this perfectly gentlemanly but verbose young man is trying to say? I thought that I was following along but then I fell into the rabbit hole and got lost.
                      I notice that there is a “like” so it must be good.
                      He says, "Don't put your chairs where you can hear CFWs or in the Zydeco dance area."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                        Two good good and competent,bands Rev, but it's predictable guitar slinger stuff. Not greasy or surprising enough for me. Would I say better than The Stones? No. But two fine bands. and both are definitely better than George Thorogood. Here's a bar band for ya, Rev.!

                        https://www.facebook.com/david.grins...DYzNjUwMDgzMA/

                        It that one doesn't work for those Facebook escapees, try this one

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xq85xyW2Y
                        I'm not comparing them to the Stones in their prime, but to the recent Stones blues CD. I thought it was pretty mediocre. If you're gonna do Muddy & Wolf covers, they have to add something new, or else its better to listen to originals

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                          Two good good and competent,bands Rev, but it's predictable guitar slinger stuff. Not greasy or surprising enough for me. Would I say better than The Stones? No. But two fine bands. and both are definitely better than George Thorogood. Here's a bar band for ya, Rev.!

                          https://www.facebook.com/david.grins...DYzNjUwMDgzMA/

                          It that one doesn't work for those Facebook escapees, try this one

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xq85xyW2Y
                          Haha... NRBQ!
                          First band I posted, IMHO, Casey Hensley can out sing Mick nowadays, & Laura Chavez burns Keith
                          2nd band, Sammy Mayfield used to be band leader for Joe Tex & Solomon Burke
                          But they both play in bars.....
                          The one time I saw the Stones, I enjoyed Lonesome George a lot better. Subjective, personal opinion, obviously. They lifted Mick out over the audience with a huge cherry picker, like he was the Pope or Chairman Mao.... & he shook his butt a little onstage. George was working hard, every duckwalk & chicken strut in the books....
                          Last edited by revjimk; 05-24-2018, 11:11 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Comment


                            • Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                              Rain Dogs suck.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lit View Post

                                Rain Dogs suck.
                                In the immortal words of C. Montgomery Burns: Who the devil are you???

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X