X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• festivalgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by kyfester View Post
    You are right, there are all the other stages with all the other music. But what these acts do is invoke the crush. Lines for food. Lines to pee. Long lines. Traffic jams getting around. It can get claustrophobic out there. To the point where, at times, it does become paralyzed.
    But as we found out 2nd weekend, the other stages were also treated to the BNAs. This venue is just not designed for rock bands to play well with others. And they really shouldn't have to - people want to see them at their full capacity. But why should those of us who want to see other acts get Classic Rock radio blaring as well.
    Last edited by festivalgirl; 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MormonMatthew
    replied
    In many ways, I do agree with your main point, that Fest should really focus on New Orleans above all else, but realistically almost all of the Crescent City's "Legacy" performers (musicians known by average people, not just music fanactics like Threaheads) are not with us anymore (:Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino, The Meters, Neville Brothers, K-Doe, Pete Fountain, etc.) and realistically, Dr, John and Irma Thomas aren't big enough draws to anchor a festival the caliber of Jazzfest.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific acts you mentioned in your O.P., as groovy1967 mentioned above, to us, Jazzzfest is sacred, unique, spititual, but to the U2's, Sir Paul's and Rolling Stones of the world, Jazzfest is just another gig between Houston and Tampa, and they aren't likely to give any special consideration to ol' Quint when it comes to signing the contract on the dotted line...

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

So you are saying that the producer of one of the world's most revered, successful, iconic and long-running live music festivals ISN'T going to let a tiny handful of self-styled "music purists" (even ones who have been faithfully attending Jazzfest since 1827) tell him how to run his show?

That kind of arrogant, elitist attitude is why TV's "The Arsenio Hall Show" was tragically cancelled, and is no longer nightly bringing delight to it's dozens of loyal viewers...
    Hey, who you callin' a music purist? I love hearing artists at JF with only passing connection to NO music as it evolved. The African acts like Sidi Toure, Sona Jobarteh, King Sunny Ade, Mahatolla Queens. (I know, I know, Congo Square.) the reggae acts. Richard Thompson. Van Morrison. Los Lobos. Gypsy Kings. Allmans, Little Feat back in the day, Etc. What I hope for is some balance, the ability to enjoy the fest in a reasonably manageable way.

And I missed 1827. But, Louis Moreau Gottschalk played a killer set at Lagniappe in 1851.

Quint's instincts and direction have been pretty spot on through the decades. The onslaught of BNAs came about due to fiscal necessity, and his forced, but astutely dealt with, team up with AEG, when Festival Productions was going to lose the production contract. My hope is that he'll understand his legacy is in place, and he doesn't need a huge feather in his cap to seal it.

Leave a comment:

• MormonMatthew
    replied
    Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
    And although Quint appreciates your patronage, he's gonna do what he wants to do. He has his wish list and will work tirelessly to check them off year by year. I expect him to use the 50th anniversary as powerful card in his deck to lure the big boys in..
    So you are saying that the producer of one of the world's most revered, successful, iconic and long-running live music festivals ISN'T going to let a tiny handful of self-styled "music purists" (even ones who have been faithfully attending Jazzfest since 1827) tell him how to run his show?

That kind of arrogant, elitist attitude is why TV's "The Arsenio Hall Show" was tragically cancelled, and is no longer nightly bringing delight to it's dozens of loyal viewers...
    Last edited by MormonMatthew; 05-15-2018, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
    I disagree. I want them to go big because in my view, BNAs are lagniappe. I'm going for all seven days, rain or shine, so if I get to see a bucket-list BNA, I'm all for it. And if I want to avoid the BNA and their crowds, there will be 11 OTHER STAGES WHERE I CAN GO. I don't know why people think a BNA on Acura paralyzes the entire Fairgrounds when there are so many other options.
    Legit points. Though I've seen all the acts in their heyday when they were on top of their game. OK, when I saw Sir Paul and that band he used to be in on the last US tour of theirs in '6?, they only played 20 minutes and you couldn't hear them over the screeching teens. And I'd like to see him again in concert frankly, but not at JF. The Stones as I've opinionated here before have been an oldies act for decades now, and I personally could care less. I heard them in the 60s and 70s live when they were the best. But I digress. U2, feh.

You are right, there are all the other stages with all the other music. But what these acts do is invoke the crush. Lines for food. Lines to pee. Long lines. Traffic jams getting around. It can get claustrophobic out there. To the point where, at times, it does become paralyzed.

And, it would be nice if the powers that be skew the balance necessary away from who can sell the absolutely most tickets toward the true and abiding focus of fest, NO/La. music, food, culture, history. Given JF's stature, a clever and strong marketing campaign for the 50th would bring in folks and render the presence of ubersuperduper BNAs unnecessary. At least that's my feeling.

Leave a comment:

• groovy1967
    replied
    I disagree. I want them to go big because in my view, BNAs are lagniappe. I'm going for all seven days, rain or shine, so if I get to see a bucket-list BNA, I'm all for it. And if I want to avoid the BNA and their crowds, there will be 11 OTHER STAGES WHERE I CAN GO. I don't know why people think a BNA on Acura paralyzes the entire Fairgrounds when there are so many other options.

But let's stop beating that dead horse and get real. Quint has "almost" had McCartney for three or four years in a row, albeit there was no talk of that happening this year. So what's different next year? How does Quint magically come up with more money for a legacy act that continues to demand more and more each year? From what I keep hearing, the sales pitch continues to revolve around the charm of New Orleans, but charm doesn't pay the bills. Remember, these classic rockers are altruistic individuals who believe in peace, love, and netting an obscene seven-figure payday.

At a certain point, we're also talking about the law of diminishing returns. These acts are not getting younger. When I had to choose between Cage the Elephant and Aerosmith, I chose the latter because even though I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, I knew they are the opposite of a fine wine-- they're not getting better with age. It was now or never, and I'm glad I saw them.

Along those same lines, I don't see any way in which U2 agrees to play during the day. On last summer's tour, they played in front of a massive screen that primarily showed interesting images, but interestingly enough, it never really showed a close-up on the bandmembers' faces. How is Bono going to hide his aging face in the shadows in broad daylight? I can't see people getting really excited by seeing a stripped down U2 playing without all of the theatrics and effects.

I would LOVE to see a stripped down Stones doing 'Fortune Teller' or 'Time is on my Side' with Irma sitting in.
    That would be awesome, but this is exactly what Jazz Fest BNAs should do yet almost never do. These bands basically run on autopilot, and for as much as Jazz Fest is special to us, to them it's just another gig. They rarely put in the effort to do something a little different or take advantage of the wealth of talent New Orleans has to offer.

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
    Now if we could just have Anders at Gentilly with a two-hour slot....
    If Anders is going to play a set like he did this year at Acura, will it come with pillows? Maybe a blanket and someone to tuck us in? What a tame, boring, snoozefest! I mean, I guess he did a good job of appealing to the adult contemporary demographic that many of you now fit into, giving Sting a run for his money, but his set had all the ferocity of a neutered puppy. Of course, at least it wasn't choreographed!
    Last edited by groovy1967; 05-15-2018, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied
    Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Ok I suppose but no BNA's. Kind of surprising that it came back for a second year.
    And a lot of jazz as well.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    Originally posted by cp_deb View Post

I used to think it sacrilege to miss a day of fest, but I got over it. There are other things to do in town and there are events in other places, such as in Lafayette. There is music everywhere in Louisiana and my focus tends to be on my next meal.
    I love Jazz Fest but I could never go every day. It would just get to be mundane after a while and I live fairly close to the fairgrounds. After a while you see so much music that it all blends together plus it is not all that cheap anymore. I tend to try and see mostly acts that I have never seen before and sprinkle in my old faves (who are mostly not around any more), especially at the nighttime shows.

Leave a comment:

• 20-20
    replied
    Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
    The original line-up

Name Date Venue Time Notes
    A Sacred Concert by Ellington 4/26/1970 St. Louis Cathedral (kicked out so..Auditorium)
    Adam Landreneau 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Al Belletto Quartet 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Richie Payne, Bill Newkirk, John Vidacovich
    Al Hirt and His Orchestra 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Pee Wee Spitelera, Joe Prejean, Mike Olsheski, Rod Saenz, Paul Ferrera, Ellis Marsalis.
    Alice Mae Victor 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Ambrose Thibodaux 4/24/1970 Cajun
    Anne Pavageau 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Bois Sec and Sons 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Captain John Handy with Handy's Louisiana Shakers 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM
    City-wide College Dance Corp 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    Clancy 'Blues Boy' Lewis 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Clyde Kerr and His Orchestra 4/22/1970 The President 8:00 PM
    Creole Fiesta Association singers and dancers 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM
    Cyprien Landreneau 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Duke Ellington and His Orchestra 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    Duke Ellington Orchestra, Al Hirt, Al Belletto, James Rivers and a marching band 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Captain John Handy and Germaine Bazzle
    Ernest Roubleau and Family 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    Eureka Brass Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:00 PM Percy Humphrey, Oscar Chicken Henry, Earl Humphrey, Albert Brown, Punch Miller, Paul Barnes, Cie Frazier, Eddie Summers, Booker T. Blass, Terry Humphrey, Willie Humphrey, Alvin Alcorn
    Germaine Bazzle 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM With Roger Dickerson, Jerry Greene, Herbert Taylor
    Gospel Inspirations 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Gospelettes 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    James Rivers 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM
    Jerry Deviller 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Larry McKinley 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    Mahalia Jackson 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM accompanied by the Crescent City Community Choir directed by Professor Elliot Beal.
    Mardi Gras Indians 4/26/1970 Parade 2:30 PM
    Musique Francais Louisienne 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM emceed Dick Allen, The Praire Cajun Bands from Big Mamou: Cyprien Landreneau, Adam Landreneau and Revon Reed, Ambrose Thibodaux, Isom Fontenot, Savy Augustine, Harrison Fontenot, Sady Courville and Bois Sec Ardoin and Sons, Nathan Abshire and the Balfa Brothers, Clifton Chenier's Band from Opelousas, The Creole Jazz Band with Dede Pierce, Albert Nicholas, Homer Eugene, Cie Frazier, Albert Walters and Eddie Dawson, The Creole Fiesta Association dancers and singers
    New Orleans Greats 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Thomas Jefferson, Louis Armstrong, Freddie Keppard, Sam Morgan and Buddy Bolden. Emceed by Bill Russell and Willie Humphrey
    New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM The Preservation Hall Band with Billie Pierce, Dede Pierce, Willie Humphrey, Cie Frazier, Jim Robinson and Allan Jaffe, The New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars with John Burnious Jr, Ralph Johnson, Earl Turbinton, Willie T., Rudy Aikels, Ellis Marsalis, Porky Jones and others.
    New Orleans Potpourri 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Harry Souchon (MC), Armand Hug, Raymond Burke, Johnny Wiggs, The Last Straws and the Louis Cottrell Trio with Emanuel Sayles and Placide Adams, Sherwood Mangiapane, George Finola, Dick Johnson
    Oliver and the Rockettes 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    Olympia Brass Band 4/24/1970 Parade 12:00 PM Harold Dejean, Paul Crawford, Allan Jaffe, Milton Batiste, Kid Sheik, Andy Anderson , Manuel Crusto, Booker T. Glass, Papa Glass, Andrew Jefferson, Fats Houston, Anderson Minor
    Papa Albert French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Jeanette Kimball, Jack Willis, Joseph 'Cornbread' Thomas, Louis Barbarin, Waldren 'Frog' Joseph. Guest: Sweet Emma Barrett.
    Percy Humphrey's Band 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    Percy Randolph 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Pete Fountain and his Orchestra 4/22/1970 The President 8:00 PM Mississippi River Jazz Cruise, Steamer President.
    Pete Fountain with Bobcat guests 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM The Dukes of Dixieland, Ray Bauduc, Frank Assunto, Papa Albert French, Original Tuxedo Brass Band with Sweet Emma, Dixieland Hall Band, Fats Domino, Sharkey Bonano and his Kings of Dixieland with John Brunios, Dr. Ray Denitez, Harry Shields, Emile Ursin, Frank Federico and Guest Emile Christian, Young Tuxedo Brass Band
    Ragtime to Jelly Roll 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM The New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra with Lars Edergran, Bill Russell, Orange Kellin, Lionel Ferbos, Paul Crawford, Frank Amacker, Chester Zardis, Irwin LeClere, Don Ewell, Cie Frazier, Louis Cottrell, James Ferbos, Dick Allen and Bill Russell (MCs)
    Rev. Johnny Youngblood 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Revon Reed 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Roosevelt Sykes 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Sady Courville 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Savy Augustine 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Sharkey and His Kings of Dixieland 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Sharkey Bonano, John Brunious, Dr. Ray Benitez, Harry Shields, Emile Usin, Frank Federico, Guest: Emile Christian.
    Sharkey Bonano and His Kings of Dixieland 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM
    Sister Gertrude Morgan 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Smilin' Joe 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Snooks Eaglin 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Soul Now, New Orleans 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM with Larry McKinley, the Meters, Oliver and the Rockettes, Clarence Frogman Henry, and the Southern University Band
    Southern University Orchestra, Alvin Batiste, Director 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM
    The Clifton Chenier Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM
    The Concert Choir of New Orleans 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    The Creole Jazz Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM Dede Pierce, Homer Eugene, Cie Frazier, Albert Walters, Eddie Dawson, Cornbread Thomas
    The Dukes of Dixieland 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Frank Assunto, Charlie Bornemann, Rudy Aikels, Harold Cooper, Don Ewell, Freddie Kohlman
    The Joe Fox Trio 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    The Meters 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    The Musical World of French Louisiana 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM Dick Allen and Revon Reed (MCs), Adam Landreneau, Cyprien Landreneau, Savy Augustine, Sady Courville, Jerry Deville, Bois Sec Adoin and Sons, Ambrose Thibodaux
    The New Orleans Modern All-Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    The New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Ellis Marsalis, Mike Olsheski, Earl Turbinton, Joe Morton, John Brunious, Rudy Aikels, John Vidocavich. Guest. Edie Aikels
    The Onward Brass Band 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Louis Cottrell, Wendell Eugene, Jerry Green, Alvin Alcorn, Albert Walters, Danny Barker, Louis Barbarin, Homer Eugene, Chester Jones, Placide Adams, Oscar Rousan, John Brunious, Sam Alcorn, Ted Reilly, Freddie Kohlman
    The Roots of Soul 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Rev. Fred Kirkpatrick, the Rev. J. L. Kirckpatrick, Robert Kirkpatrick, the Mount Calvery Gospel Singers and the Southern University Orchestra directed by Alvin Baptiste
    The Young Tuxedo Brass Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Andrew Morgan, Homer Eugene, Worthia Thomas, Albert Walters, Thomas Jefferson , Reginald Koeller, Ernest Poree, Lawrence Trotter, Emile Knox, Durell Johnson
    The Zion Harmonizers 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Tribute to King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Freedie Keppard, Sam Morgan and Buddy Bolden 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Punch Miller's Band with Paul Crawford, Harry Shields, Leonard Alexis, Chester Jones, Stanley Mendleson, Eddie Dawson, Frank Moliere, Emanual Sayles, Guests: Andrew Morgan, Jim Robinson, Louis Keppard, Captain John Handy, Dave Bartholemew, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Russell and Willie Humphrey (MCs)
    Tribute to the Original Dixieland Jazz Band and the New Orleans Rhythm Kings 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Sharkey and his Kings of Dixieland
    Willie B. Thomas 4/24/1970 Blues
    Ok I suppose but no BNA's. Kind of surprising that it came back for a second year.

Leave a comment:

• cp_deb
    replied
    Originally posted by kyfester View Post

I have been advised by a friend who has been close to Quint for decades that the Stones/ U2/ McCartney do indeed top Quint's wish list. Yes, it's technically hearsay, but credible. If any of those acts play, the strong likelihood is that it will be a Dave Mathews Band day, impossible to avoid a crush. When I go to New Orleans to JF, I want to be there every day, skipping a day while down there does not compute.
    I used to think it sacrilege to miss a day of fest, but I got over it. There are other things to do in town and there are events in other places, such as in Lafayette. There is music everywhere in Louisiana and my focus tends to be on my next meal.

Leave a comment:

• marignygreg
    replied
    Wow.

Leave a comment:

• festivalgirl
    replied
    The original line-up

Name Date Venue Time Notes
    A Sacred Concert by Ellington 4/26/1970 St. Louis Cathedral (kicked out so..Auditorium)
    Adam Landreneau 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Al Belletto Quartet 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Richie Payne, Bill Newkirk, John Vidacovich
    Al Hirt and His Orchestra 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Pee Wee Spitelera, Joe Prejean, Mike Olsheski, Rod Saenz, Paul Ferrera, Ellis Marsalis.
    Alice Mae Victor 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Ambrose Thibodaux 4/24/1970 Cajun
    Anne Pavageau 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Bois Sec and Sons 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Captain John Handy with Handy's Louisiana Shakers 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM
    City-wide College Dance Corp 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    Clancy 'Blues Boy' Lewis 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Clyde Kerr and His Orchestra 4/22/1970 The President 8:00 PM
    Creole Fiesta Association singers and dancers 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM
    Cyprien Landreneau 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Duke Ellington and His Orchestra 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    Duke Ellington Orchestra, Al Hirt, Al Belletto, James Rivers and a marching band 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Captain John Handy and Germaine Bazzle
    Ernest Roubleau and Family 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    Eureka Brass Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:00 PM Percy Humphrey, Oscar Chicken Henry, Earl Humphrey, Albert Brown, Punch Miller, Paul Barnes, Cie Frazier, Eddie Summers, Booker T. Blass, Terry Humphrey, Willie Humphrey, Alvin Alcorn
    Germaine Bazzle 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM With Roger Dickerson, Jerry Greene, Herbert Taylor
    Gospel Inspirations 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Gospelettes 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    James Rivers 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM
    Jerry Deviller 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Larry McKinley 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    Mahalia Jackson 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM accompanied by the Crescent City Community Choir directed by Professor Elliot Beal.
    Mardi Gras Indians 4/26/1970 Parade 2:30 PM
    Musique Francais Louisienne 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM emceed Dick Allen, The Praire Cajun Bands from Big Mamou: Cyprien Landreneau, Adam Landreneau and Revon Reed, Ambrose Thibodaux, Isom Fontenot, Savy Augustine, Harrison Fontenot, Sady Courville and Bois Sec Ardoin and Sons, Nathan Abshire and the Balfa Brothers, Clifton Chenier's Band from Opelousas, The Creole Jazz Band with Dede Pierce, Albert Nicholas, Homer Eugene, Cie Frazier, Albert Walters and Eddie Dawson, The Creole Fiesta Association dancers and singers
    New Orleans Greats 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Thomas Jefferson, Louis Armstrong, Freddie Keppard, Sam Morgan and Buddy Bolden. Emceed by Bill Russell and Willie Humphrey
    New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM The Preservation Hall Band with Billie Pierce, Dede Pierce, Willie Humphrey, Cie Frazier, Jim Robinson and Allan Jaffe, The New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars with John Burnious Jr, Ralph Johnson, Earl Turbinton, Willie T., Rudy Aikels, Ellis Marsalis, Porky Jones and others.
    New Orleans Potpourri 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Harry Souchon (MC), Armand Hug, Raymond Burke, Johnny Wiggs, The Last Straws and the Louis Cottrell Trio with Emanuel Sayles and Placide Adams, Sherwood Mangiapane, George Finola, Dick Johnson
    Oliver and the Rockettes 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    Olympia Brass Band 4/24/1970 Parade 12:00 PM Harold Dejean, Paul Crawford, Allan Jaffe, Milton Batiste, Kid Sheik, Andy Anderson , Manuel Crusto, Booker T. Glass, Papa Glass, Andrew Jefferson, Fats Houston, Anderson Minor
    Papa Albert French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Jeanette Kimball, Jack Willis, Joseph 'Cornbread' Thomas, Louis Barbarin, Waldren 'Frog' Joseph. Guest: Sweet Emma Barrett.
    Percy Humphrey's Band 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    Percy Randolph 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Pete Fountain and his Orchestra 4/22/1970 The President 8:00 PM Mississippi River Jazz Cruise, Steamer President.
    Pete Fountain with Bobcat guests 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM The Dukes of Dixieland, Ray Bauduc, Frank Assunto, Papa Albert French, Original Tuxedo Brass Band with Sweet Emma, Dixieland Hall Band, Fats Domino, Sharkey Bonano and his Kings of Dixieland with John Brunios, Dr. Ray Denitez, Harry Shields, Emile Ursin, Frank Federico and Guest Emile Christian, Young Tuxedo Brass Band
    Ragtime to Jelly Roll 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM The New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra with Lars Edergran, Bill Russell, Orange Kellin, Lionel Ferbos, Paul Crawford, Frank Amacker, Chester Zardis, Irwin LeClere, Don Ewell, Cie Frazier, Louis Cottrell, James Ferbos, Dick Allen and Bill Russell (MCs)
    Rev. Johnny Youngblood 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Revon Reed 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Roosevelt Sykes 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Sady Courville 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Savy Augustine 4/23/1970 Cajun 12:00 PM
    Sharkey and His Kings of Dixieland 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Sharkey Bonano, John Brunious, Dr. Ray Benitez, Harry Shields, Emile Usin, Frank Federico, Guest: Emile Christian.
    Sharkey Bonano and His Kings of Dixieland 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM
    Sister Gertrude Morgan 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Smilin' Joe 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Snooks Eaglin 4/23/1970 Blues 12:00 PM
    Soul Now, New Orleans 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM with Larry McKinley, the Meters, Oliver and the Rockettes, Clarence Frogman Henry, and the Southern University Band
    Southern University Orchestra, Alvin Batiste, Director 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM
    The Clifton Chenier Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM
    The Concert Choir of New Orleans 4/26/1970 Municipal Auditorium 2:30 PM
    The Creole Jazz Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM Dede Pierce, Homer Eugene, Cie Frazier, Albert Walters, Eddie Dawson, Cornbread Thomas
    The Dukes of Dixieland 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Frank Assunto, Charlie Bornemann, Rudy Aikels, Harold Cooper, Don Ewell, Freddie Kohlman
    The Joe Fox Trio 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    The Meters 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:30 PM
    The Musical World of French Louisiana 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 3:00 PM Dick Allen and Revon Reed (MCs), Adam Landreneau, Cyprien Landreneau, Savy Augustine, Sady Courville, Jerry Deville, Bois Sec Adoin and Sons, Ambrose Thibodaux
    The New Orleans Modern All-Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 10:00 AM
    The New Orleans Modern Jazz All Stars 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Ellis Marsalis, Mike Olsheski, Earl Turbinton, Joe Morton, John Brunious, Rudy Aikels, John Vidocavich. Guest. Edie Aikels
    The Onward Brass Band 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Louis Cottrell, Wendell Eugene, Jerry Green, Alvin Alcorn, Albert Walters, Danny Barker, Louis Barbarin, Homer Eugene, Chester Jones, Placide Adams, Oscar Rousan, John Brunious, Sam Alcorn, Ted Reilly, Freddie Kohlman
    The Roots of Soul 4/25/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Rev. Fred Kirkpatrick, the Rev. J. L. Kirckpatrick, Robert Kirkpatrick, the Mount Calvery Gospel Singers and the Southern University Orchestra directed by Alvin Baptiste
    The Young Tuxedo Brass Band 4/23/1970 Municipal Auditorium 8:00 PM Andrew Morgan, Homer Eugene, Worthia Thomas, Albert Walters, Thomas Jefferson , Reginald Koeller, Ernest Poree, Lawrence Trotter, Emile Knox, Durell Johnson
    The Zion Harmonizers 4/23/1970 Gospel 12:00 PM
    Tribute to King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Freedie Keppard, Sam Morgan and Buddy Bolden 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Punch Miller's Band with Paul Crawford, Harry Shields, Leonard Alexis, Chester Jones, Stanley Mendleson, Eddie Dawson, Frank Moliere, Emanual Sayles, Guests: Andrew Morgan, Jim Robinson, Louis Keppard, Captain John Handy, Dave Bartholemew, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Russell and Willie Humphrey (MCs)
    Tribute to the Original Dixieland Jazz Band and the New Orleans Rhythm Kings 4/24/1970 Municipal Auditorium 12:30 PM Sharkey and his Kings of Dixieland
    Willie B. Thomas 4/24/1970 Blues

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
    The lineup at the Cultural Pavillion for NOLA's 300th was lovely. More of that would be greatly appreciated. Bring back Jupiter and Okwess! And other standouts from over the years!
    Loved the Culture Pavilion this year. The historical timeline was most illuminating. And Sona Jobarteh's performance in there was transcendent. Would love tributes next year to Satchmo, Fess, James Booker, the Barkers, Storyville, Cosimo Matissa, Toussaint, Marsalis clan, Neville clan, Batiste clan, 50s & 60s rock & roll tradition, the chefs like Paul Prudhomme, etc. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    I love the big BNA's, but the crowds make them tough to see. And although Quint appreciates your patronage, he's gonna do what he wants to do. He has his wish list and will work tirelessly to check them off year by year. I expect him to use the 50th anniversary as powerful card in his deck to lure the big boys in. I would LOVE to see a stripped down Stones doing 'Fortune Teller' or 'Time is on my Side' with Irma sitting in. And his decision will be gloriously reinforced, with two thirds of the days record breaking attendance at Acura.
    Of course, Quint's not gonna listen to me. Just felt compelled to put it out there. And to provide a forum for others to share their feelings.

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by ohio View Post
    A beautiful post, ky!
    You should consider sending similar to Jan at Offbeat. She would probably print it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm advised it will be published in Offbeat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X