Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim View Post

Are we talking about the recent cd with Joey DeFrancesco? I've heard a few tracks and I think it's really good. Some of the better Van vocals I've heard in recent years. I think it helps that DeFrancesco also helped produce the session. Some of Van's releases over the past ten years have suffered due to Van producing the sessions himself.

I also agree about his sax playing. The last time I saw Van was a little over a year ago and Van was very engaged in the show. It was top notch. I find Van to much more at the top of his game than the Stones. Personally, I don't think much of Jagger's vocals over the past twenty years or so. Of course, running and prancing around the stage surely doesn't help in that area. In the vocal department Van easily tops him.
    Actually I was referring to his previous release, "Versatile". It's way better than I thought it was going to be when I heard he was planning to cover a selection from the Great American Songbook.
    It only came out here a few months ago, and on the day mine arrived, I heard about the Joey De Francesco project which I've not listened to as yet. He certainly puts out a lot of music...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post

I have no idea what Anders played at Jazzfest but his set at the Howlin' Wolf on April 28th was fantastic! I really liked the new rhythm section. And Ivan Neville on keys. Best show I've seen from Anders is a couple of years. Of course, he did have Samantha Fish and Eddie Roberts but I would have enjoyed it just as much without them.
      Wait, you were at the Wolf? I was there up front the whole show and it was great. I can't work out why his fest shows have been so laid back and low key in recent years, but it's certainly not coincidental.

It was good to see you (albeit for only about 10 seconds) at the Saturn Bar. If I would have realised you were leaving for the night, I would have chatted longer. That was a hell of a show!

Comment

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post

I'm not comparing them to the Stones in their prime, but to the recent Stones blues CD. I thought it was pretty mediocre. If you're gonna do Muddy & Wolf covers, they have to add something new, or else its better to listen to originals
        This is the second post by the Rev in a week, with which I 100% concur. What's happening to me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

This is the second post by the Rev in a week, with which I 100% concur. What's happening to me?
          you couldn’t handle the truth.

Comment

Wait, you were at the Wolf? I was there up front the whole show and it was great. I can't work out why his fest shows have been so laid back and low key in recent years, but it's certainly not coincidental.

It was good to see you (albeit for only about 10 seconds) at the Saturn Bar. If I would have realised you were leaving for the night, I would have chatted longer. That was a hell of a show!
            Anders was great at the square a few weeks ago. No pillows required.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

You haven't been the same since you took those Zydeco dancing lessons.

Comment

You're smart, & have good taste in music!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

You haven't been the same since you took those Zydeco dancing lessons.
                    Nobody is, if they pay attention. Changes your life for the better!

Comment

Damn, I wish I had seen you at the Anders Wolf show. I was to the left of the soundboard. Really enjoyed the show. Glad I ran into you at the Saturn. I was planning on coming back for the 2nd set but I was with some Jazzfest/New Orleans virgins and once we got outside for some fresh air they decided to pack it in for the night so I grabbed a cab with them. King James & the Special Men just keep getting better. They are so much fun. Hope to see you at the Crescent City Blues festival this year.

Comment

Truer words have not been spoken.

Comment

What were you like before ?

Comment

• Originally posted by marignygreg View Post

What were you like before ?
                            I boogied to zydeco for 20 years before learning how to do the partner dance. Loved moving to music since watching The Lone Ranger in the 50s & "riding my horse" on the arm of the couch during William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger theme)
                            Last edited by revjimk; 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I boogied to zydeco for 20 years before earning how to do the partner dance. Loved moving to music since watching The Lone Ranger in the 50s & "riding my horse" on the arm of the couch during William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger theme)
                              Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Kemp, you used to be trained in the English prose. Do you know what this perfectly gentlemanly but verbose young man is trying to say? I thought that I was following along but then I fell into the rabbit hole and got lost.
                                I notice that there is a “like” so it must be good.
                                No mo’ drunk posting, then. :-) I’m working stage with a younger crew at Strawberry Music Fest this weekend and I’ll eat my hat if there are 2,000 people here. Some of the youngsters I’ve met came without being shamed into it by parents, or grandparents, so that’s encouraging. But. How does this festival continue into the 2020’s without an influx of new blood?

My message in my O.P. was probably something about balancing meaningful modern music with geezer fav’s, star-power headliners and local acts. And the inescapable turnover of Fest staff and talent bookers. Try working with 20-something’s - I triple-dog dare you.

Comment

Working...
                                X