Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
    I disagree. I want them to go big because in my view, BNAs are lagniappe. I'm going for all seven days, rain or shine, so if I get to see a bucket-list BNA, I'm all for it. And if I want to avoid the BNA and their crowds, there will be 11 OTHER STAGES WHERE I CAN GO. I don't know why people think a BNA on Acura paralyzes the entire Fairgrounds when there are so many other options.
    Legit points. Though I've seen all the acts in their heyday when they were on top of their game. OK, when I saw Sir Paul and that band he used to be in on the last US tour of theirs in '6?, they only played 20 minutes and you couldn't hear them over the screeching teens. And I'd like to see him again in concert frankly, but not at JF. The Stones as I've opinionated here before have been an oldies act for decades now, and I personally could care less. I heard them in the 60s and 70s live when they were the best. But I digress. U2, feh.

You are right, there are all the other stages with all the other music. But what these acts do is invoke the crush. Lines for food. Lines to pee. Long lines. Traffic jams getting around. It can get claustrophobic out there. To the point where, at times, it does become paralyzed.

And, it would be nice if the powers that be skew the balance necessary away from who can sell the absolutely most tickets toward the true and abiding focus of fest, NO/La. music, food, culture, history. Given JF's stature, a clever and strong marketing campaign for the 50th would bring in folks and render the presence of ubersuperduper BNAs unnecessary. At least that's my feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
      And although Quint appreciates your patronage, he's gonna do what he wants to do. He has his wish list and will work tirelessly to check them off year by year. I expect him to use the 50th anniversary as powerful card in his deck to lure the big boys in..
      So you are saying that the producer of one of the world's most revered, successful, iconic and long-running live music festivals ISN'T going to let a tiny handful of self-styled "music purists" (even ones who have been faithfully attending Jazzfest since 1827) tell him how to run his show?

That kind of arrogant, elitist attitude is why TV's "The Arsenio Hall Show" was tragically cancelled, and is no longer nightly bringing delight to it's dozens of loyal viewers...
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 05-15-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

So you are saying that the producer of one of the world's most revered, successful, iconic and long-running live music festivals ISN'T going to let a tiny handful of self-styled "music purists" (even ones who have been faithfully attending Jazzfest since 1827) tell him how to run his show?

That kind of arrogant, elitist attitude is why TV's "The Arsenio Hall Show" was tragically cancelled, and is no longer nightly bringing delight to it's dozens of loyal viewers...
        Hey, who you callin' a music purist? I love hearing artists at JF with only passing connection to NO music as it evolved. The African acts like Sidi Toure, Sona Jobarteh, King Sunny Ade, Mahatolla Queens. (I know, I know, Congo Square.) the reggae acts. Richard Thompson. Van Morrison. Los Lobos. Gypsy Kings. Allmans, Little Feat back in the day, Etc. What I hope for is some balance, the ability to enjoy the fest in a reasonably manageable way.

And I missed 1827. But, Louis Moreau Gottschalk played a killer set at Lagniappe in 1851.

Quint's instincts and direction have been pretty spot on through the decades. The onslaught of BNAs came about due to fiscal necessity, and his forced, but astutely dealt with, team up with AEG, when Festival Productions was going to lose the production contract. My hope is that he'll understand his legacy is in place, and he doesn't need a huge feather in his cap to seal it.

Comment

In many ways, I do agree with your main point, that Fest should really focus on New Orleans above all else, but realistically almost all of the Crescent City's "Legacy" performers (musicians known by average people, not just music fanactics like Threaheads) are not with us anymore (:Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino, The Meters, Neville Brothers, K-Doe, Pete Fountain, etc.) and realistically, Dr, John and Irma Thomas aren't big enough draws to anchor a festival the caliber of Jazzfest.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific acts you mentioned in your O.P., as groovy1967 mentioned above, to us, Jazzzfest is sacred, unique, spititual, but to the U2's, Sir Paul's and Rolling Stones of the world, Jazzfest is just another gig between Houston and Tampa, and they aren't likely to give any special consideration to ol' Quint when it comes to signing the contract on the dotted line...

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post
            You are right, there are all the other stages with all the other music. But what these acts do is invoke the crush. Lines for food. Lines to pee. Long lines. Traffic jams getting around. It can get claustrophobic out there. To the point where, at times, it does become paralyzed.
            But as we found out 2nd weekend, the other stages were also treated to the BNAs. This venue is just not designed for rock bands to play well with others. And they really shouldn't have to - people want to see them at their full capacity. But why should those of us who want to see other acts get Classic Rock radio blaring as well.
            Last edited by festivalgirl; 05-15-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
              In many ways, I do agree with your main point, that Fest should really focus on New Orleans above all else, but realistically almost all of the Crescent City's "Legacy" performers (musicians known by average people, not just music fanactics like Threaheads) are not with us anymore (:Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino, The Meters, Neville Brothers, K-Doe, Pete Fountain, etc.) and realistically, Dr, John and Irma Thomas aren't big enough draws to anchor a festival the caliber of Jazzfest.
              Oh, to hear Longhair one more once, but, sigh you are absolutely correct. Buuuuuuuuuuut, there are lots of young local turks who, if not exactly carrying on with the classical traditions, are imbued with the spirit force of New Orleans. There is an undercurrent of Bechet and Barker and Mahalia and Little Richard and Booker and Sweet Emma and Fountain and Hirt and Marchan in their playing, even if it's only vaguely discernible. The power of Ernie K-Doe remains in every one of those NO songs with silly lyrics we love.

As I acknowledged in my original post, methinks BNAs are a necessity to keep it afloat, but maybe just bnas (lower case). And, just maybe, the draw of a totally local centric 50th would be enough, if only for next year. I know, wishful thinking.

Comment

I disagree. I want them to go big because in my view, BNAs are lagniappe. I'm going for all seven days, rain or shine, so if I get to see a bucket-list BNA, I'm all for it. And if I want to avoid the BNA and their crowds, there will be 11 OTHER STAGES WHERE I CAN GO. I don't know why people think a BNA on Acura paralyzes the entire Fairgrounds when there are so many other options.
                At a certain point, we're also talking about the law of diminishing returns. These acts are not getting younger. When I had to choose between Cage the Elephant and Aerosmith, I chose the latter because even though I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, I knew they are the opposite of a fine wine-- they're not getting better with age. It was now or never, and I'm glad I saw them.
                If Anders is going to play a set like he did this year at Acura, will it come with pillows? Maybe a blanket and someone to tuck us in? What a tame, boring, snoozefest! I mean, I guess he did a good job of appealing to the adult contemporary demographic that many of you now fit into, giving Sting a run for his money, but his set had all the ferocity of a neutered puppy. Of course, at least it wasn't choreographed!
                Some irony here.

​​The 11 other stages were what I was talking about earlier. If you didn't enjoy what Anders was doing why didn't you go elsewhere? His sets are never the same from year to year, reflecting his continuing artistic development. The 'adult contemporary' label doesn't stick on me, sorry. I skipped Aerosmith, which maybe was worthwhile but I don't regret doing so.
                On the matters of BNAs and Quint's wish list, I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Ok I suppose but no BNA's. Kind of surprising that it came back for a second year.
                  (Regarding the 1970 Fest)
                  Some of the famous 20-20 misdirection here? Duke Ellington, Al Hirt, and Pete Fountain were certainly nationally popular, the latter two's NO base notwithstanding. I was in college in Indiana at the time and would have attended this one and all the following ones had I known of them.

Comment

Anders plays Wednesday at the square tomorrow. I was going to go, but Groovy's review makes me pause. Maybe if the band works out some cheesy dance moves and all wear matching seersucker suits it will make them play better ?

Comment

If Anders is going to play a set like he did this year at Acura, will it come with pillows? Maybe a blanket and someone to tuck us in? What a tame, boring, snoozefest! I mean, I guess he did a good job of appealing to the adult contemporary demographic that many of you now fit into, giving Sting a run for his money, but his set had all the ferocity of a neutered puppy. Of course, at least it wasn't choreographed!
                      I have no idea what Anders played at Jazzfest but his set at the Howlin' Wolf on April 28th was fantastic! I really liked the new rhythm section. And Ivan Neville on keys. Best show I've seen from Anders is a couple of years. Of course, he did have Samantha Fish and Eddie Roberts but I would have enjoyed it just as much without them.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post

(Regarding the 1970 Fest)
                        Some of the famous 20-20 misdirection here? Duke Ellington, Al Hirt, and Pete Fountain were certainly nationally popular, the latter two's NO base notwithstanding. I was in college in Indiana at the time and would have attended this one and all the following ones had I known of them.
                        Misdirection??? Don’t give me reason to invoke the “Robert Knight “ rules of etiquette and kick your chair out from beneath you!

Comment

Some call it misdirection ... some call it sarcasm.

Comment

I just want to say that on a busy crowded BNA day it’s not like you can totally escape the crowd. The main issue for me, even if I skip the crowd drawing BNA, is the corresponding wait for bathrooms and food. I left early Elton John year because I couldn’t get near a restroom and couldn’t wait less than five-ten minutes for an iced tea. And before someone makes a joke about it yes I understand that no iced tea means no bathroom wait. But no liquid means dehydration which means I’m going to be ill for the rest of the day. I won’t go to concerts or events at home where I can’t comfortably access a restroom when I need to, and I apply the same at fest. The crowds effect even amenities not located close to Acura. On Elton John day I waited fifteen minutes to use what I thought would be a reasonably clean portojohn near the kids tent only to find it smeared in shit and filled with beer cans. (I guess those kids party hard) No thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
                              Some call it...
                              skatá!!!

when convenient,.. please send along a photo or two... xoxo

ps... dear quint, please take the necessary precautions to avoid hearin' that "you're gonna need a bigger boat"... ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hold on -

Some of y'all are against The Rolling Stones playing Jazz Fest?? THE ROLLING STONES. Because the crowd would be big, and the food and bathroom lines will be long? And because they're not enough "Heritage?"

On one of 12 stages, for maybe 2 1/2 hours, after 5+ hours or so of all the "Heritage" you can find that day. Not to mention the 6 other days. Because their performing would somehow diminish Fest, or it's 50th celebration, or whatever?

Ya gotta be f-ing kidding me. THE ROLLING STONES.

Comment

Working...
                                X