No announcement yet.

Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, actually Yes. That is exactly and precisely what “some” of us are saying.
    Nothing against the band themselves. I am a fan and have been for years. First time I saw them live was in 1965. One of my big regrets or perhaps disappointment in life is never having had the opportunity to do a few or even a bunch of “lines” at the Chateau with Keith and Gram. Sigh.
    That said, not the fairgrounds for the 50th. Just not a good match.

Comment

If the Stones play Fest next year, you can count on a "bunch of lines". Long ones.

Comment

I have always said the first time I heard the term "second line" was the Stones' version of "Down Home Girl" in 1965 when I got captivated by "Rolling Stones Now!". You have to hand it to them for their taste in covers in the early 60's, particularly given how difficult it must have been to have heard the originals in England at the time. (Granted, they did "borrow" from Irma.)

Comment

Originally posted by carlindj View Post
          Hold on -

Some of y'all are against The Rolling Stones playing Jazz Fest?? THE ROLLING STONES. Because the crowd would be big, and the food and bathroom lines will be long? And because they're not enough "Heritage?"

On one of 12 stages, for maybe 2 1/2 hours, after 5+ hours or so of all the "Heritage" you can find that day. Not to mention the 6 other days. Because their performing would somehow diminish Fest, or it's 50th celebration, or whatever?

Ya gotta be f-ing kidding me. THE ROLLING STONES.

Let's be clear here, it would not be the ROLLING STONES, of which you speak, the incredible Stones of the 60s and 70s. That group is long gone. The band has been an oldies act for around a quarter century. Listen to live cuts from, say, '95 on, then go back and listen to "Get Yer Ya Yas Out." The latter is rock & roll at its very best, arguably the best that ever was, the former, Keith diddling around on the guitar with little urgency, Mick running back and forth, vamping, pretending his in his 20s.

If Quint can cut the deal, being 'em in to the Dome or Smoothie King for an evening or Daze Between gig, God bless him, go for it. Out at the fairgrounds, it's hard to conceive the crush. Try to picture the area around the Blues Tent, if a rumor starts that either of the Glimmer Twins is going to sit in with, say, Mr. Sipp, or Samantha Fish. It'll be gridlock. LA at rush hour. The Who in Cincy. Please, Quint, no.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

Let's be clear here, it would not be the ROLLING STONES, of which you speak, the incredible Stones of the 60s and 70s. That group is long gone. The band has been an oldies act for around a quarter century. Listen to live cuts from, say, '95 on, then go back and listen to "Get Yer Ya Yas Out." The latter is rock & roll at its very best, arguably the best that ever was, the former, Keith diddling around on the guitar with little urgency, Mick running back and forth, vamping, pretending his in his 20s.

If Quint can cut the deal, being 'em in to the Dome or Smoothie King for an evening or Daze Between gig, God bless him, go for it. Out at the fairgrounds, it's hard to conceive the crush. Try to picture the area around the Blues Tent, if a rumor starts that either of the Glimmer Twins is going to sit in with, say, Mr. Sipp, or Samantha Fish. It'll be gridlock. LA at rush hour. The Who in Cincy. Please, Quint, no.
            Your perspective has merit but at best it is still just your perspective with respect to the bands ability to entertain. I had given up on them twice for the very reasons that you present. Circumstances were such that I reluctantly went to see them live yet again. Fun as all get out and against all expectations. They are and remain to be “Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones.”
            Yes, it’s only rock and roll but I like it.
            I just contend that the fairgrounds is not a match. They could do it but it would do neither any good.
            Just not appropriate for the 50th on top of that.
            He said.

Comment

Saw a recent show from Rio and thought they were still on top of their game.

Comment

The recent "Havana Moon" DVD from their show in Cuba is outstanding. A sober Ronnie Wood makes a big difference.

Comment

The Stones are no more of an oldies act than Dr John or The Meters or Irma. They are still recording new music. Yes, their last album was all blues covers, but so was their first in 65. Their music is more closely related to and influenced by Louisiana and Gulf Coast music than David Byrne's or Bon Jovi's or many of our other celebrated BNAs. If any non indigenous BNA fit musically at Fest, it's The Stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                    The Stones are no more of an oldies act than Dr John or The Meters or Irma. They are still recording new music. Yes, their last album was all blues covers, but so was their first in 65. Their music is more closely related to and influenced by Louisiana and Gulf Coast music than David Byrne's or Bon Jovi's or many of our other celebrated BNAs. If any non indigenous BNA fit musically at Fest, it's The Stones.
                    Legit points all, especially the absolutely correct observation that Stones music have a greater connection with NO/La. music than most BNAs. But, it's the energy, the youthful angst, the sexual urgency that's just lacking. I know, I'm almost as old as they are, it just ain't the same. What sets Dr. John and Irma apart from the Stones is they accept their age in their performances, which are more mature, more accepting of their age than the Stones, who still try to project their long lost youth. I haven't heard the original Meters together since their gig years ago at Gentilly Stage, maybe their first back together in a long time. They sounded a bit tired to me that day. I remember thinking I should have gone to hear the Roots at Congo Square.

I love the Stones. I just don't think they "have it" anymore, like when I was lucky enough to hear them back in the day. And I fear the crush an appearance by them at the fairgrounds would generate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                      One more thing, and I'll give it up. Honest. I know I've reiterated my opinion too much. It's what guys who used practice law do. Of all the collaborations and sitting in that have come about through the decades at JF, Irma and Mick dueting on "Time is on my Side" would rank with the best. It would be a Moment. But, given that I'm prone to claustrophobia, the closest I'd get would be, like, the entrance gates to Congo Square.

I've said my peace on that point. The Celtics just tied the Cavs in Game 2 and I'm gonna watch the game.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                        If you didn't enjoy what Anders was doing why didn't you go elsewhere? His sets are never the same from year to year, reflecting his continuing artistic development.
                        I've seen Anders many times, pre-sobriety and post. I know that in recent years, his sets are a crapshoot as to whether or not he'll rock out or sing gentle lyrics, such as:

"It may not get easier than this,
                        But life doesn't get sweeter than a kiss.
                        We know that...
                        Life flows in...
                        Any which way we choose."

FEROCIOUS!

I stayed because I kept hoping he'd realize he was booked on a stage with Galactic, Jack White, and Trombone Shorty and would eventually start tearing it up. That never happened.

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                        Anders plays Wednesday at the square tomorrow. I was going to go, but Groovy's review makes me pause. Maybe if the band works out some cheesy dance moves and all wear matching seersucker suits it will make them play better ?
                        You're in luck. He's now working with Twyla Tharp, so her choreography should be old enough for you to enjoy.

Comment

Try to picture the area around the Blues Tent, if a rumor starts that either of the Glimmer Twins is going to sit in with, say, Mr. Sipp, or Samantha Fish. It'll be gridlock. LA at rush hour. The Who in Cincy. Please, Quint, no.
                          You can rest assured that every promoter will be pushing those rumors for their shows, and tons of gullible people will gobble up those tickets, just as many of us suckers did for the "absolutely certain, sure thing, stone cold mortal lock" that Stevie Wonder would be sitting in with Trombone Shorty for that late show at Tipitina's way back when.

I would imagine the inevitable, bloated Don Was production at the Saenger will start pricing their tickets in the six figures.

Comment

Dear Quint —

Because of the rumors circulating of your BNA wish list for the 50th — Stones, McCartney, U2 — I feel compelled to write this open letter to you. I hope that somehow this, as well as any attendant comments get to you for your consideration.

Next year, the Good Lord willing, will be my 32d Fest (’76, ’80, ’88-’90, every year since ’92).

It is the love of my life. As someone more literate than me wrote, “the gravitational pull of my year.” My inclination is to list some of my favorite moments through the decades, but I’'ll spare you.

I remain forever grateful for all the precious moments I’'ve experienced and shared, thanks to the incredible foresight and work you, Allison Miner and patron saint George Wein have done through the decades.

While the BNAs with a tenuous if any connection at all to NO/La. culture have never been the draw for me, I understand and accept the need for their presence in today’s musical marketplace. If Aerosmith needs to play the big stage to draw people to keep this glorious event afloat, and for me to experience the Electrifying Crown Seekers, Johnny Sketch, Topsy Chapman, Tuba Skinny, the Klezmer All-Stars, et al, bring ‘'em on.

So great is my love for JazzFest, I go out of my way to purchase Shell gasoline, because of its sponsorship.

That said, it is my fervent hope that you and those who also have a say realize there are surely other, better ways to honor a half century of the best music festival extant in the world’s most musical city than to turn it into a Bono, Sir Paul or Mick&Keith clusterjam.

I know there are some similarly loyal regular attendees who share my feelings. And others just as in love with the Fest who disagree with me. I hope they will weigh in on this thread.

The 50th JazzFest will be a huge event regardless whom you choose to perform. My hope is you choose to focus on its raison d’être, the exposure of New Orleans and Louisiana music, food and culture through the decades.

I pray you reconsider if your intention is to go super big to “celebrate” the 50th.

Thanks for listening.

c d kaplan

In Quint Teetertotter Trusts!

Comment

Let's be clear here, it would not be the ROLLING STONES, of which you speak, the incredible Stones of the 60s and 70s. That group is long gone.
                              "“That group is long gone."”

Of course they are. Like Stevie, Gregg, Elton, Who, Plant, Clapton, Dylan, Van, Bruce, Neil, and Levon. Even Aerosmith, I suppose. Absolute monsters in the 70s, a little before and somewhat after. All have played Fest fairly recently, all shadows of their peak, unbelievable greatest-selves.

You’'re missing the point, huge. The Stones are the top of the all-time heap, and with deeper connections to New Orleans musicians than those above. If at all possible -

You’'re convincing me (and/or I’'m convincing myself, with some amusing post-Fest fun). Quint’'s had this planned all along, the pinnacle. “"Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields, sold in a market down in ...”"

Ladies & Gentlemen, THE ROLLING STONES.
                              Last edited by carlindj; 05-16-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I love when Groovy's on the muscle.

Comment

Working...
                                X