No announcement yet.

Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an extra ticket to the Rolling Stones in Warsaw on July 8th, if anyone is interested.

I'll even throw in a free Polish language lesson, and can teach you all of the Polish I have managed to learn over here during the past 2 1/2 years. (that should kill about 10 minutes)

Comment

Dear Quint: Please have lots of African groups for your 50th Anniversary. Now that is a celebration. They make the rock dinosaurs sound like quaint antiques. So bring back Jupiter & Okwess and Sona Jobarteh (please); also Mokoomba, Vieux Farka Toure, and Bombino. And how about TAL National (just saw them live, they are incredible), Fatomata Diawara, Toumani Diabate, Ba Cissoko, Somi, Bassekou Kouyate, Youssou N'Dour. I could go on but you get the idea. Now that would be a great 50th anniversary.

Comment

How do you say "Woo Hoo" in Polish?

Comment

Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Misdirection??? Dont give me reason to invoke the Robert Knight rules of etiquette and kick your chair out from beneath you!
          As Coach Knight has stated, he saw an elderly lady across the court who had no seat so he slid a chair over to her!

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
            Some call it misdirection ... some call it sarcasm.
            I believe 20-20 operates on the basis of mischief.

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
              Dear Quint: Please have lots of African groups for your 50th Anniversary. Now that is a celebration. They make the rock dinosaurs sound like quaint antiques. So bring back Jupiter & Okwess and Sona Jobarteh (please); also Mokoomba, Vieux Farka Toure, and Bombino. And how about TAL National (just saw them live, they are incredible), Fatomata Diawara, Toumani Diabate, Ba Cissoko, Somi, Bassekou Kouyate, Youssou N'Dour. I could go on but you get the idea. Now that would be a great 50th anniversary.
              ABSOLUTELY agree!

Comment

I agree with Kyfester's original post. JF needs be be a unique celebration of Louisiana music & its roots & branches, not just another mega rockfest with good food....

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesthinker 72 View Post
                  New Orleans has a huge and a semi huge venue in The Super Dome and Smoothie King Arena. Why not bring back the night time shows and book Quint's dream team of acts (Stones, McCartney, U2) in there at night....maybe even on the days between. I would love the 50th to be special, and treat the local/regional acts as the BNA's at the fairgrounds.
                  Good idear!

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                    How do you say "Woo Hoo" in Polish?
                    Not positive, but I think it's "Goo Goo G'Joob", but with the amount of wodka they drink over here, it's impossible to know for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                      I dont know how I feel. On the one hand Ive warmed up to the headliners the last two years- catching and enjoying more of their sets than I did in years prior. On the other hand, I stayed home on Aerosmith Saturday anticipating big crowds.
                      I expect that if there were a Paul McCartney headlining spot Id go as I know Id have a friend or family member keen to make the trip to their first Fest to hear him. Though Id have to convince them to do multiple days as Im sure we would have to camp out all day for the closing set.
                      I have no idea why people like U2 as strongly as they do. I guess its a difference in taste. I wouldnt pay any amount of money to hear them.
                      "I have no idea why people like U2 as strongly as they do" My sentiments exactly. When I was DJing at KDNK, Carbondale, Colorado in the late 80s/ early 90s, I got a request for a U2 song & made the mistake of playing it, That was the last time I ever played a request for a song I didn't know...
                      Only time I saw the Stones was in 83 in Boulder, & I thought they were washed up & going thru the motions back then. George Thorogood blew them away, IMHO...

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

I've seen Anders many times, pre-sobriety and post. I know that in recent years, his sets are a crapshoot as to whether or not he'll rock out or sing gentle lyrics, such as:

"It may not get easier than this,
                        But life doesn't get sweeter than a kiss.
                        We know that...
                        Life flows in...
                        Any which way we choose."

FEROCIOUS!

I stayed because I kept hoping he'd realize he was booked on a stage with Galactic, Jack White, and Trombone Shorty and would eventually start tearing it up. That never happened.
                        It wasn't my favorite Anders set either, but I found it interesting. Didn't need a pillow, just fewer CFWs around me. Who was it that said "You can't always get what you want...". Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                          .Who was it that said "You can't always get what you want...". Peace.
                          It was Quint Davis, after reading some of the of the laughably pretentious posts in this thread...

Comment

Funny stuff, this thread. I'm sure Quint's all-over it -

Saturday, May 4, 2019 - Acura Stage

11:15 - 12:05 TAL National
                            12:25 - 1:20 Jupiter & Okwess
                            1:45 - 2:40 Youssou N'Dour
                            3:10 - 4:45 Vieux Farka Toure
                            5:10 - 7:00 Bombino

From NOLA.com: "The 23 Threadheads in attendance at the Acura stage absolutely loved the 'local' African line-up on 2nd Saturday, often the most crowded stage of the most crowded day each year at Jazz Fest. Both ironically and unfortunately, as the festival sought to celebrate its origins by eschewing the so-called 'BNAs' on its main stage, the festival's 50th year will be it's last, as ticket sales plummeted to levels not seen since the mid-1970s.

When reached for comment, former festival producer Quint Davis said, 'I dunno. I saw an open letter posted in Offbeat. I really have to stop reading Offbeat.' As he walked away, he could be heard whistling New Orleans' soul legend Irma Thomas' minor 1964 hit, 'Time Is On My Side.'"

Comment

Originally posted by carlindj View Post
                              Funny stuff, this thread. I'm sure Quint's all-over it -

Saturday, May 4, 2019 - Acura Stage

11:15 - 12:05 TAL National
                              12:25 - 1:20 Jupiter & Okwess
                              1:45 - 2:40 Youssou N'Dour
                              3:10 - 4:45 Vieux Farka Toure
                              5:10 - 7:00 Bombino
                              Not bad. I happen to like Bombino and his group a great deal. I'll be there. Nice way to close out. Hope that the weather cooperates.

Comment

Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Not bad. I happen to like Bombino and his group a great deal. I'll be there. Nice way to close out. Hope that the weather cooperates.
                                22 spots left -

Comment

Working...
                                X