Originally posted by carlindj View Post
    Funny stuff, this thread. I'm sure Quint's all-over it -

Saturday, May 4, 2019 - Acura Stage

11:15 - 12:05 TAL National
    12:25 - 1:20 Jupiter & Okwess
    1:45 - 2:40 Youssou N'Dour
    3:10 - 4:45 Vieux Farka Toure
    5:10 - 7:00 Bombino

From NOLA.com: "The 23 Threadheads in attendance at the Acura stage absolutely loved the 'local' African line-up on 2nd Saturday, often the most crowded stage of the most crowded day each year at Jazz Fest. Both ironically and unfortunately, as the festival sought to celebrate its origins by eschewing the so-called 'BNAs' on its main stage, the festival's 50th year will be it's last, as ticket sales plummeted to levels not seen since the mid-1970s.

When reached for comment, former festival producer Quint Davis said, 'I dunno. I saw an open letter posted in Offbeat. I really have to stop reading Offbeat.' As he walked away, he could be heard whistling New Orleans' soul legend Irma Thomas' minor 1964 hit, 'Time Is On My Side.'"
    I can only imagine the anguished howls of outrage and dispair when our ever-so cultured and recondite friends see that Jupiter & Okwess are scheduled earlier than Vieux Farce Toure...

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post

I believe 20-20 operates on the basis of mischief.
      And?

We used to have some fun around here. Don't know why everyone gets so serious.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 50th anniversary of the New Orleans Generic Rock/Pop with a Little Local Music Thrown in Festival.

Comment

In a nod to BennyBoy, who always had the "inside track" with respect to music gossip, I've got it on good authority that closing out Gentilly on that very same day will be Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida featuring the Lost Planet Airmen.
        Now that's going to be a tough decision between the two stages.
        21 slots left.

Comment

Oh crap! I can't think of anything laughably pretentious to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
            Not to worry. Send a “private message” to Groovy. He’ will have something for you to add. If you have the bandwidth.
            Last edited by 20-20; 05-16-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Love Bombino, too, but the mighty Tinariwen should headline that day.

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

"I have no idea why people like U2 as strongly as they do" My sentiments exactly. When I was DJing at KDNK, Carbondale, Colorado in the late 80s/ early 90s, I got a request for a U2 song & made the mistake of playing it, That was the last time I ever played a request for a song I didn't know...
                Only time I saw the Stones was in 83 in Boulder, & I thought they were washed up & going thru the motions back then. George Thorogood blew them away, IMHO...
                The 83 Stones tour was one of their worst because Ron Wood was deep into his free base cocaine addiction and Bobby Keys had been booted off because of his severe alcoholism plus Mick and Keith were at each others throats. The Stones have had some tours that were better than others, but they have never been so bad that George Thorogood could blow them off the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Not to worry. Send a “private message” to Groovy. He’ will have something for you to add. If you have the bandwidth.
                  He probably won't answer because he thinks I'm a grumpy old man because I wasn't gobsmacked by David Byrne's choreography.

Comment

Your 3,000th post and nary a scant mention of NRBQ?!?

A case could be made for that in itself to be somewhat pretentious, in a meta kind of a way...

Comment

Rumor is that the Stones are a LOCK for ChazFest next year.

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
                        Dear Quint: Please have lots of African groups for your 50th Anniversary. Now that is a celebration. They make the rock dinosaurs sound like quaint antiques. So bring back Jupiter & Okwess and Sona Jobarteh (please); also Mokoomba, Vieux Farka Toure, and Bombino. And how about TAL National (just saw them live, they are incredible), Fatomata Diawara, Toumani Diabate, Ba Cissoko, Somi, Bassekou Kouyate, Youssou N'Dour. I could go on but you get the idea. Now that would be a great 50th anniversary.
                        Yes, yes, yes, yea, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleophus View Post
                          On the small stage.

Comment

The 83 Stones tour was one of their worst because Ron Wood was deep into his free base cocaine addiction and Bobby Keys had been booted off because of his severe alcoholism plus Mick and Keith were at each others throats. The Stones have had some tours that were better than others, but they have never been so bad that George Thorogood could blow them off the stage.
                            He did at that show....

Comment

Originally posted by Cleophus View Post
                              On the hard liquor stage? Perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

And?

We used to have some fun around here. Don't know why everyone gets so serious.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 50th anniversary of the New Orleans Generic Rock/Pop with a Little Local Music Thrown in Festival.
                                Meaning I don't take him too seriously. Mischief=fun! But seriously, In A Gadda Da Vida was an Iron Butterfly tune....

Comment

Working...
                                X