Originally posted by carlindj View Post
    Funny stuff, this thread. I'm sure Quint's all-over it -

Saturday, May 4, 2019 - Acura Stage

11:15 - 12:05 TAL National
    12:25 - 1:20 Jupiter & Okwess
    1:45 - 2:40 Youssou N'Dour
    3:10 - 4:45 Vieux Farka Toure
    5:10 - 7:00 Bombino

From NOLA.com: "The 23 Threadheads in attendance at the Acura stage absolutely loved the 'local' African line-up on 2nd Saturday, often the most crowded stage of the most crowded day each year at Jazz Fest. Both ironically and unfortunately, as the festival sought to celebrate its origins by eschewing the so-called 'BNAs' on its main stage, the festival's 50th year will be it's last, as ticket sales plummeted to levels not seen since the mid-1970s.

When reached for comment, former festival producer Quint Davis said, 'I dunno. I saw an open letter posted in Offbeat. I really have to stop reading Offbeat.' As he walked away, he could be heard whistling New Orleans' soul legend Irma Thomas' minor 1964 hit, 'Time Is On My Side.'"
    Not so fast, big plans for Lagniappe Stage!

Saturday, May 4, 2019

11:05-11:40: U2

12:00-12:45: The Rolling Stones

1:10-6:00: Paul McCartney, the Complete Wings Catalogue

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

The 83 Stones tour was one of their worst because Ron Wood was deep into his free base cocaine addiction and Bobby Keys had been booted off because of his severe alcoholism plus Mick and Keith were at each others throats. The Stones have had some tours that were better than others, but they have never been so bad that George Thorogood could blow them off the stage.
      one bourbon one scotch one beer

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
        Meaning I don't take him too seriously.
        Now that might actually hurt

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

For The Stones and many of their fans these days, it's more like "One Ensure Plus Calcium, One Prune Juice, One Warm Glass of Milk..."

Comment

If I could wish for anything for the 50th, it would be that Quint won't forget some of the great musicians right in front of him in NOLA. So disappointed that they couldn't find a time slot for the Midnite Disturbers this year. We go to fest for mostly the local bands- and yes, we will catch a BNA if it's one of interest, but the thing about fest is there are a few groups out there- The Disturbers, Nightcrawlers, Mag 7 that are great together and can rarely play night shows because the musicians all have different gigs. PLEASE GIVE THEM TIME AT FEST, after all it is the NO Jazz and HERITAGE Festival..

And as for BNA wishes- I'd rather see a few GREATS that have a history at the Fairgrounds rather than Sir Paul- He's a better night show anyway, and I concur of what he would do to the fairgrounds, talk about oversold...I'd vote for others like Bruce, Santana, even Little Feat have past fest performances that were great, why not bring some of them back? And sadly, RIP Charles, but what about a Neville Brothers reunion? That's what fest has always been about to us...

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

Keith and Ronnie probably had that for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

For The Stones and many of their fans these days, it's more like "One Ensure Plus Calcium, One Prune Juice, One Warm Glass of Milk..."
                Nah. That's for the Van Morrison bunch. Van's really grumpy about taking his meds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Nah. That's for the Van Morrison bunch. Van's really grumpy about taking his meds.
                  I know that's just a little rebuke from my earlier NRBQ jipe, but trust me, in all seriousness, you are 110% right spot on the money about that.

When I was active in a Van-centric online group for a few years in the early 2000's, every time I went to a meet-up before a Van show, I was "The Kid" and easily 20-25 years younger than the average attendee, especially when he was playing in North America (for some reason, a few of his European fans are a bit younger, punk whippersnappers like myself in our late 40's)

(and while I met some nice people thru that group, as a whole, "Vanatics" are some of the most insufferable, closed-minded, elitist, one-uppmanshippingest and adorably pretentious musical snobs on Earth, who make even the most musically pompous Threadheads look humble, open-minded and ever-so-agreeable in comparison.)

I have tickets for 3 different Van shows this summer, (Cologne, Heidelberg, and the Peer Blues Fest outside Brussels) but these days I skip the meet-ups. If I feel the need to hang out with arrogant, egotistical and self-important old bastards before the show, I'll just try to get backstage and kick it with Van The Man himself...

Comment

I'm in big agreement with Nancy on this one.
                    I spend most of my time at the smaller stages hearing music that I can't hear at home. This year I noticed a few acts in Economy Hall that drew beyond capacity crowds- crowds gathered around the tent listening and dancing. Pres Hall Brass (with Mark Braud) drew such a crowd. So too did Treme Brass Band. Many people raved about the Dr. Michael White tribute to Billie and Dede Pierce. There were others that I'm forgetting or I totally missed. The same awesome over-pouring crowds were at the Pavillion at times. I couldn't get into the tent for the Hot 8 Brass Band and as I sat on the grass outside people were dancing and grooving outside the tent. It was a blast. I mention all of this because 1) it made me so happy to see these big crowds for all this music that I totally love. The music that will ALWAYS be my first choice at Fest and 2) I don't necessarily think that these acts drawing big crowds need to be on the bigger stages (Hot 8 being a bad example as they are on bigger stages...) but people like it. It should have an important place at NOJ&HF. It's not just us weird pretentious pursists but lots of other people who aren't as insufferable. And I hope Quint and the powers that be pay attention to all of this.
                    A guy like Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah is a bridge between the past and the present. He articulated this well during his set in the Jazz Tent on first Friday- he said (among other things) that us as an audience today are just as important as those early audiences- that we're listening to and supporting something dynamic. In my mind, he embodies where the traditions are headed. I think we saw that when he took the reigns of the first week of Midnite Preserves at Preservation Hall. I know I'm a pretentious jerk but I think there's a place at the NOJ&HF for this perspective, and that it should be featured prominently, not stuffed into a tent where folks who are waiting for Sting to start are resting their feet and discussing dinner plans.
                    I think the Shake em Up Jazz Band also embody this- a band that just so happens to be entirely women playing traditional jazz music composed by women? They should be featured prominently too.
                    Frankly, I don't give a shit one way or the other if the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney play jazz fest. I care more about making sure there's room for the Louisiana artists that are hopefully going to be around creating music long after Paul or Mick or whatever their names are leave for the day. That's just me though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

He needs to be better about that or start taking something that will perk him up. His new jazz standards album is not his best - really boring. Can't wait for it to be out of rotation on our Jazz station.

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                        I'm in big agreement with Nancy on this one.
                        I spend most of my time at the smaller stages hearing music that I can't hear at home. This year I noticed a few acts in Economy Hall that drew beyond capacity crowds- crowds gathered around the tent listening and dancing. Pres Hall Brass (with Mark Braud) drew such a crowd. So too did Treme Brass Band. Many people raved about the Dr. Michael White tribute to Billie and Dede Pierce. There were others that I'm forgetting or I totally missed. The same awesome over-pouring crowds were at the Pavillion at times. I couldn't get into the tent for the Hot 8 Brass Band and as I sat on the grass outside people were dancing and grooving outside the tent. It was a blast. I mention all of this because 1) it made me so happy to see these big crowds for all this music that I totally love. The music that will ALWAYS be my first choice at Fest and 2) I don't necessarily think that these acts drawing big crowds need to be on the bigger stages (Hot 8 being a bad example as they are on bigger stages...) but people like it. It should have an important place at NOJ&HF. It's not just us weird pretentious pursists but lots of other people who aren't as insufferable. And I hope Quint and the powers that be pay attention to all of this.
                        A guy like Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah is a bridge between the past and the present. He articulated this well during his set in the Jazz Tent on first Friday- he said (among other things) that us as an audience today are just as important as those early audiences- that we're listening to and supporting something dynamic. In my mind, he embodies where the traditions are headed. I think we saw that when he took the reigns of the first week of Midnite Preserves at Preservation Hall. I know I'm a pretentious jerk but I think there's a place at the NOJ&HF for this perspective, and that it should be featured prominently, not stuffed into a tent where folks who are waiting for Sting to start are resting their feet and discussing dinner plans.
                        I think the Shake em Up Jazz Band also embody this- a band that just so happens to be entirely women playing traditional jazz music composed by women? They should be featured prominently too.
                        Frankly, I don't give a shit one way or the other if the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney play jazz fest. I care more about making sure there's room for the Louisiana artists that are hopefully going to be around creating music long after Paul or Mick or whatever their names are leave for the day. That's just me though.
                        Quint, you hoo, Quint, you listenin'?

Comment

• No, I’’m not listening, nor am I reading your long boring posts.
                          Last edited by Quint; 05-17-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Welcome to the board Quint. If you have any questions about what's bad or terrible about jazzfest, we're happy to help

Comment

• Isn't it illegal to impersonate an impresario?

Comment

• Well Hey Sparky, nice of you to stop by. Most of these posters mean well so don’t be put off. It’s just that so many of them are “limited” if you get what I’m hinting at? But since you’re not inclined to be bothered with their little problems, I was wondering if you and LaToya are “Bud’s”? Perhaps you could speak to her about those memorial statues to the fallen soldiers of the South?

Comment

Working...
                                X