Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mluke has returned.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
      Mluke has returned.
      At least he didn't steal my picture this time

      Comment


      • You know I’m just funnin’






        maby.
        Last edited by 20-20; 05-17-2018, 05:08 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

          You can rest assured that every promoter will be pushing those rumors for their shows, and tons of gullible people will gobble up those tickets, just as many of us suckers did for the "absolutely certain, sure thing, stone cold mortal lock" that Stevie Wonder would be sitting in with Trombone Shorty for that late show at Tipitina's way back when.

          I was going to see Shorty for the first time since that fiasco years ago this fest but my ride wanted to leave early. He was hanging out with Sammy at that time so he was hanging out with us too. He absolutely and totally misrepresented that situation. Makes me think of his song: Some people you meet on the way up you might meet on your way down.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
            Meaning I don't take him too seriously. Mischief=fun! But seriously, In A Gadda Da Vida was an Iron Butterfly tune....
            If there's anyone around here who loves fun, it's you, fg.

            Comment


            • OK, now we're rolling in the fun.

              Comment


              • Oh you Girls. Any interest in climbing into the backseat?

                Comment


                • I miss the days when the posts on this bored were laughably pretentious.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                    I miss the days when the posts on this bored were laughably pretentious.
                    Lord Horror is a busy man, but he'll be around when he gets the chance....

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

                      Lord Horror is a busy man, but he'll be around when he gets the chance....
                      After the wedding.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

                        I know that's just a little rebuke from my earlier NRBQ jipe, but trust me, in all seriousness, you are 110% right spot on the money about that.

                        When I was active in a Van-centric online group for a few years in the early 2000's, every time I went to a meet-up before a Van show, I was "The Kid" and easily 20-25 years younger than the average attendee, especially when he was playing in North America (for some reason, a few of his European fans are a bit younger, punk whippersnappers like myself in our late 40's)

                        (and while I met some nice people thru that group, as a whole, "Vanatics" are some of the most insufferable, closed-minded, elitist, one-uppmanshippingest and adorably pretentious musical snobs on Earth, who make even the most musically pompous Threadheads look humble, open-minded and ever-so-agreeable in comparison.)

                        I have tickets for 3 different Van shows this summer, (Cologne, Heidelberg, and the Peer Blues Fest outside Brussels) but these days I skip the meet-ups. If I feel the need to hang out with arrogant, egotistical and self-important old bastards before the show, I'll just try to get backstage and kick it with Van The Man himself...
                        Nope. I don't remember any NRBQ jipes. My point is that The Stones have never been forgiven for aging. Back in 89 when they did their Steel Wheels tour, their first in many years, Leno and Letterman and others made a nightly habit of jokes about the "geriatric" Stones daring to haul their old asses back on the road (they didn't make any such jokes about B B King, for example). Approaching twenty years later, Leno got canned by his network and Letterman has let himself out to pasture while The Stones are not only gearing up to tour again, but selling out stadiums and setting box office records while doing so if their most recent previous tours serve as an example. That wouldn't happen if they were just an oldies act who sucks. The Stones related agism started even earlier. I remember a National Lampoon music article that read "The Stones are still around. They look like drunk old ladies" in 1975. Meanwhile Van Morrison, who has looked like everybody's grumpy, drunk, diabetic old uncle since about 1980 continues to tour and produce albums of various quality, but no one makes a big deal about his appearance, nor should they. By his own rabid fans admission Van's shows are a fifty fifty crap shoot at best, but the accolades continue to pour in. So my point is that The Stones look great for their ages especially when considering that three of them have or are battling long addictions, one of them has beat cancer and many of them still smoke. They can't help it if they have remained thin. And I would put Jagger's athleticism above the also 73 year old Rod Stewart's, who also looked pretty damn good for his age. If Quint gets them booked, I will be both happy and worried (about the crowd). If he doesn't, I will be somewhat relieved. And I fully expect the silly and misleading and sometimes completely incorrect comments about how old they are and about how "bad" they are to continue. Have fun, folks.

                        Comment


                        • Hey Kemp I hadn’t thought about it that way in regard to ageism. Good perspective and one that shall make me keep my mouth shut. Congratulations to all.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

                            He needs to be better about that or start taking something that will perk him up. His new jazz standards album is not his best - really boring. Can't wait for it to be out of rotation on our Jazz station.
                            When I mentioned bailing on Van’s last jazzy appearance at Fest to a friend who once played in his band (Worry not, I backed away from Gentilly - respectfully bowing as I went), my friend asked if he was still playing alto. Why, yes - and it seemed sonically ill-suited. To which my friend added that Van worshipped the great tenor players, but got it in his head that the tenor sax made him appear diminutively proportioned on stage and abandoned it in favor of the alto. Maybe it’s best he never held a curved soprano.

                            And a personal quip about age perception happened while trying to sneak into the wings during Aerosmith’s set (a sneaky tactic that about 20,000 other folks tried at that moment). We were at the barricade surrounding the lone vendor on that side, barely able to see the Jumbotron at that angle when my wife climbed into the barrier cross-bar to catch a glimpse of Steven Tyler prancing about on what Jason Isabel presciently called the “ego ramp” during his Acura set. The owner of the concession, the chocolate-dipped Strawberry stand, saw her and asked if she’d like go back behind his booth to watch. Um, sure! Surreal doesn’t begin to describe it. Us, and his family behind a hain-link fence surround - I made the comment that it was like being in Aerosmith jail - and the owner made a comment that Tyler must have very good doctors. I suddenly saw it. He and Tyler had to be about the same age, and one of them was acting a LOT younger... not quite a Dorian Gray act, but damn... I need to buy more strawberries next time!
                            Last edited by duende; 05-18-2018, 10:59 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                              Nope. I don't remember any NRBQ jipes. My point is that The Stones have never been forgiven for aging. Back in 89 when they did their Steel Wheels tour, their first in many years, Leno and Letterman and others made a nightly habit of jokes about the "geriatric" Stones daring to haul their old asses back on the road (they didn't make any such jokes about B B King, for example). Approaching twenty years later, Leno got canned by his network and Letterman has let himself out to pasture while The Stones are not only gearing up to tour again, but selling out stadiums and setting box office records while doing so if their most recent previous tours serve as an example. That wouldn't happen if they were just an oldies act who sucks. The Stones related agism started even earlier. I remember a National Lampoon music article that read "The Stones are still around. They look like drunk old ladies" in 1975. Meanwhile Van Morrison, who has looked like everybody's grumpy, drunk, diabetic old uncle since about 1980 continues to tour and produce albums of various quality, but no one makes a big deal about his appearance, nor should they. By his own rabid fans admission Van's shows are a fifty fifty crap shoot at best, but the accolades continue to pour in. So my point is that The Stones look great for their ages especially when considering that three of them have or are battling long addictions, one of them has beat cancer and many of them still smoke. They can't help it if they have remained thin. And I would put Jagger's athleticism above the also 73 year old Rod Stewart's, who also looked pretty damn good for his age. If Quint gets them booked, I will be both happy and worried (about the crowd). If he doesn't, I will be somewhat relieved. And I fully expect the silly and misleading and sometimes completely incorrect comments about how old they are and about how "bad" they are to continue. Have fun, folks.
                              I was pleased that it was KYFESTER who made the point that the Stones are superannuated has-beens (I paraphrase). If I or others younger had said that, you would have accused us of agism. Their box office records may be something to do with the fact that the prices at their tours are 30% higher, each go-round.
                              Letterman & co may have jumped the gun, but their description is dead-on now, and has been for quite a few years.

                              I'm a big Van fan, and have NEVER seen him give a bad performance. I also like his latest jazz standards album (@chrissa) -- although not all of his releases are up to scratch -- and I think his sax playing has improved immeasurably over the years, although he would undoubtedly struggle to earn a living if that was his main gig.

                              That's all for now...I have a little wedding street-party to organize.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

                                Lord Horror is a busy man, but he'll be around when he gets the chance....
                                Return of The Greasy Pole.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X