Open Letter to Quint about the 50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

I was pleased that it was KYFESTER who made the point that the Stones are superannuated has-beens (I paraphrase). If I or others younger had said that, you would have accused us of agism. Their box office records may be something to do with the fact that the prices at their tours are 30% higher, each go-round.
    Letterman & co may have jumped the gun, but their description is dead-on now, and has been for quite a few years.

I'm a big Van fan, and have NEVER seen him give a bad performance. I also like his latest jazz standards album (@chrissa) -- although not all of his releases are up to scratch -- and I think his sax playing has improved immeasurably over the years, although he would undoubtedly struggle to earn a living if that was his main gig.

That's all for now...I have a little wedding street-party to organize.
    Nobody would buy the over inflated tickets if The Stones were "superannuated has-beens". Obviously some of us are hearing and seeing things that you aren't. I won't say anymore because I don't want to upset you. I know how sensitive you ELO fans are.

Comment

Return of The Greasy Pole.
      I have long suspected that you secretly held a deep and abiding prejudice against ex-Mormon Native American Deadheads living in Poland, (truly, no one can fully appreciate the suffering My People have long so nobly borne) but this post saddens me all the same...

Comment

I was pleased that it was KYFESTER who made the point that the Stones are superannuated has-beens (I paraphrase). If I or others younger had said that, you would have accused us of agism. Their box office records may be something to do with the fact that the prices at their tours are 30% higher, each go-round.
        Letterman & co may have jumped the gun, but their description is dead-on now, and has been for quite a few years.

I'm a big Van fan, and have NEVER seen him give a bad performance. I also like his latest jazz standards album (@chrissa) -- although not all of his releases are up to scratch -- and I think his sax playing has improved immeasurably over the years, although he would undoubtedly struggle to earn a living if that was his main gig.

That's all for now...I have a little wedding street-party to organize.
        Are we talking about the recent cd with Joey DeFrancesco? I've heard a few tracks and I think it's really good. Some of the better Van vocals I've heard in recent years. I think it helps that DeFrancesco also helped produce the session. Some of Van's releases over the past ten years have suffered due to Van producing the sessions himself.

I also agree about his sax playing. The last time I saw Van was a little over a year ago and Van was very engaged in the show. It was top notch. I find Van to much more at the top of his game than the Stones. Personally, I don't think much of Jagger's vocals over the past twenty years or so. Of course, running and prancing around the stage surely doesn't help in that area. In the vocal department Van easily tops him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post

Are we talking about the recent cd with Joey DeFrancesco? I've heard a few tracks and I think it's really good. Some of the better Van vocals I've heard in recent years. I think it helps that DeFrancesco also helped produce the session. Some of Van's releases over the past ten years have suffered due to Van producing the sessions himself.

I also agree about his sax playing. The last time I saw Van was a little over a year ago and Van was very engaged in the show. It was top notch. I find Van to much more at the top of his game than the Stones. Personally, I don't think much of Jagger's vocals over the past twenty years or so. Of course, running and prancing around the stage surely doesn't help in that area. In the vocal department Van easily tops him.
          I think Van has always been a better vocalist than Mick, but that doesn't mean that Mick is a bad one. I think Jagger's vocals have improved in some ways with age. He moves around a bit less on stage and that does also contribute to his current sound.

Comment

• Which would you prefer to sit around an evening campfire with and listen to the stories they can tell?

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I have long suspected that you secretly held a deep and abiding prejudice against ex-Mormon Native American Deadheads living in Poland, (truly, no one can fully appreciate the suffering My People have long so nobly borne) but this post saddens me all the same...
              Would it be offensive if i referred to your suffering of Your People as the Trail of Beers?

Comment

• Forget the Stones, U2, etc. It is clear that the BNA who definitely will be there for the 50th is Aretha. Any other speculation pales in comparison.

Comment

• Any guesses on the posters for the 50th anniversary?

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                    Which would you prefer to sit around an evening campfire with and listen to the stories they can tell?
                    Ewwwwww

Comment

• Originally posted by Molo View Post
                      Forget the Stones, U2, etc. It is clear that the BNA who definitely will be there for the 50th is Aretha. Any other speculation pales in comparison.
                      You win.
                      Welcome to the backseat.
                      Where the fun is.
                      It’s Friday night. We’re gonna go to the Drive In and watch Woodstock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        Any guesses on the posters for the 50th anniversary?
                        If they go big then Quint Davis & Philip Anschutz

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

You win.
                          Welcome to the backseat.
                          Where the fun is.
                          It’s Friday night. We’re gonna go to the Drive In and watch Woodstock.
                          Drive In sounds nice. I think I might go watch the BoDeans tonight (well, a collection of people that calls themselves that even though everybody but one person from their unforgettable debut album have left the building).

Comment

• Originally posted by Molo View Post

Drive In sounds nice. I think I might go watch the BoDeans tonight (well, a collection of people that calls themselves that even though everybody but one person from their unforgettable debut album have left the building).
                            Bought it. Wore it out. From Minnesota?

Comment

• Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

If they go big then Quint Davis & Philip Anschutz
                              Ha! Personally, I hope they come up with a design that doesn't feature an artist.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

If there's anyone around here who loves fun, it's you, fg.
                                Always! If it isn't fun, what's the point?
                                And also:
                                Fich, you are certainly NOT alone regarding BNAs vs local and Louisiana-simpático artists; +1 from me and many others I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X