All things Tedeschi/Trucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
    Don' t remember if it was on this thread or another that someone raised up on this, and myself, funkkjunkie and others dismissed their concerns, but i will never go to a rock show at the Saenger again.
    Four separate times in the first set fans had to be separated by either security or, in one case, NOPD:
    "I didn't pay $100 so you could block my view all night!!!"
    "Fuck you, I paid $100 too and I'm dancing all night if I want to."
    In the quiet lull between songs you could hear fans screaming curses at each other.
    Extremely unpleasant, and Saenger security was unable to cope with it in ANY way. Totally incompetent.
    When I tried the move FJ and i had previously mentioned, go off to the aisle by the wall to dance, NOT the middle aisle, so you're not blocking anyone's view, i was told to get back in my seat or get thrown out. That happened mid second set and I couldn't enjoy the rest of the night, 5th row seats to see my favorite band, left before the encore.
    The band themselves sounded great, and i really liked a new song called High and MIghty which has a really cool background vocal part. The Walk On Guilded Splinters opener was spectacular, as was a re work of Dylan's Down in the FLood. Statesboro Blues sounded great, but i was too pissed off to enjoy myself by then.
    Done with the Saenger.
    Dozens of threads on the TTB Fans FB page regarding this sit/stand issue. Moderators shut them down daily. I have been to at least three dozen TTB shows, and have yet to see aggressive confrontations, though obviously they are happening. Personally, after 45 years of concerts, I expect people to stand. I know from experience that it may happen at any show, so why expect otherwise? I like to alternate standing/sitting- as my old back & knees demand. TTB actually has a policy that ushers/security not stop fans from standing. Most TTB fans know this by now, so get over it!

Comment

• Originally posted by ohio View Post

Dozens of threads on the TTB Fans FB page regarding this sit/stand issue. Moderators shut them down daily. I have been to at least three dozen TTB shows, and have yet to see aggressive confrontations, though obviously they are happening. Personally, after 45 years of concerts, I expect people to stand. I know from experience that it may happen at any show, so why expect otherwise? I like to alternate standing/sitting- as my old back & knees demand. TTB actually has a policy that ushers/security not stop fans from standing. Most TTB fans know this by now, so get over it!
      Not barking at you personally, HLS. Venues should probably have a plan going in. Attendees should expect standing, otherwise don't go.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohio View Post

Not barking at you personally, HLS. Venues should probably have a plan going in. Attendees should expect standing, otherwise don't go.
        I'm not taking anything personally here, no sweat. I did want to point out, to Chop I think it was, that at least in MY case, the "dancing in the aisles" was (a) amazing moves for a white boy, and (b) deliberately done in the side aisle where you don't block the view, NOT the center aisle where you do, and was really only done so (c) my standing/dancing wouldn't block the view of the people behind me, because, especially if they are notably older than me, I feel a little shitty doing that, even if it is my "right". That's why i was miffed at Saenger security, i felt the people in that area (and i wasn't the only one told to move along) were the ones trying to both dance AND be considerate.
        I can assure you that in Orchestra Left Row F-G (1-2 rows behind me on Monday night) it got Extremely Aggressive, F you MF, no F YOU MF, etc, til i was distracted from the band waiting to see the first punch, as from 10 feet away i was expecting flying beer, tumbling patrons, etc.
        Susan saying something from the stage certainly enhances ones ability to exercise their "standing right" with a little less guilt. Cause it's sort of an insult to the band in a way: yes, i'm 20 feet from the stage and you rock ok and all, but not so much that I will actually leave my seat or anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I'm not taking anything personally here, no sweat. I did want to point out, to Chop I think it was, that at least in MY case, the "dancing in the aisles" was (a) amazing moves for a white boy, and (b) deliberately done in the side aisle where you don't block the view, NOT the center aisle where you do, and was really only done so (c) my standing/dancing wouldn't block the view of the people behind me, because, especially if they are notably older than me, I feel a little shitty doing that, even if it is my "right". That's why i was miffed at Saenger security, i felt the people in that area (and i wasn't the only one told to move along) were the ones trying to both dance AND be considerate.
          I can assure you that in Orchestra Left Row F-G (1-2 rows behind me on Monday night) it got Extremely Aggressive, F you MF, no F YOU MF, etc, til i was distracted from the band waiting to see the first punch, as from 10 feet away i was expecting flying beer, tumbling patrons, etc.
          Susan saying something from the stage certainly enhances ones ability to exercise their "standing right" with a little less guilt. Cause it's sort of an insult to the band in a way: yes, i'm 20 feet from the stage and you rock ok and all, but not so much that I will actually leave my seat or anything.
          I hear ya- when confrontational behavior distracts one from the music on stage, it has gone way too far. Usually venues have a clue what to expect for a particular act and plan accordingly, but seems this is not the case when it comes to TTB. Maybe posting a sign on every entry door would help, warning that the band encourages standing/dancing at their shows. I am reminded of the last few Pretenders shows, where they posted signs that photos/videos were strictly forbidden by the band. The few fans who ignored those signs did so at their own risk and were taken to task by Chrissie. She would stop the show, point out the offender and say, "Hey asshole, put it away...now!"

Comment

• No standing/sitting issues last night. Once Susan said that Kofi said to stand up most people downstairs did just that. I enjoyed last night a bit more than Monday but both shows were outstanding. No real surprises but "Days Is Almost Gone" and "Get What You Deserve" were real highlights for me. The new members fit right in, especially keyboard player Gabe Dixon who you'd never know just joined. Wish this band was playing Jazz Fest again this year. Few seem to fit as well as they do.

Comment

• Another solid and hugely entertaining show last night with keyboard fill-in Gabe Dixon having a really good night, particularly on the organ. That dude is a find! I didn't find it as fiery as Monday but Derek blew the place apart a couple of times, a great solo in "Keep On Growing" where the show really took off and another beautiful "Midnight In Harlem," a song I never tire of hearing them do all these years down the road. He threw a bit of "Mountain Jam" into the Swamp Raga/"In A Silent Way" intro that now goes into an Om chant resonance with Kebbi Williams on sax before the song starts and Derek's always beautiful solo at the end truly encompassed the whole room by the time he finished. You coulda heard a pin drop when he started it and the whole place was OMG when he resolved back into the song. That solo always reduces me to jello and this was a fantastic one.

"Right On Time" had a real New Orleans/Frenchmen St. vibe with the Dixieland-like horns. The trombone player got a chance to shine as Derek called her out a couple of times. The vocalists got featured, with Mark Rivers joining Mike Mattison up front for "More And More" and Alecia Chakour going gospel in "Bound For Glory." And, as on Monday, the drummers were beasts. They have the two drummer thing down, working together as one powerful engine, having a conversation with each other when they solo. Susan sang great, of course, and absolutely killed "I Pity The Fool" with one of the best guitar solos on the Les Paul I've ever seen her play. Everyone carries their weight in that band.

My friend Dick Deluxe said to me in the lobby, "Derek could go out with a stripped down 4 piece, do a Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar hero thing and make a lot of money but clearly having the big unit to conduct is way more fun. No one up there is a slouch." Yes indeed... The musician crowd turned out for the band as I saw several local luminaries...Tom Fitzpatrick, West Band Mike, Dave Jordan celebrating his birthday.
              ​​​
              What a transcendent couple of evenings! The band should be at Jazz Fest every year.
              Last edited by chopitulas; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Fantastic review Chops, I can almost hear it from your descriptions, thanks!!

Comment

• Thanks so much, Tchoup. I love how much you, as a musician, appreciate good musicianship. I love when musicians go see musicians.

Comment

• spin new record here...

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/69138...CrT2qqurPr0H2Y

Comment

• Although I'm sure some songs will grow on me I'm not hearing much that I really like except "Shame" that they've been playing for a while now. Just not enough grit and rockin' tunes, lots of middle of the road ballad type songs. I thought that "let Me Get By" was easily their best album.

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing these folks in Sacramento in May with Los Lobos opening!

Comment

• Originally posted by innertube View Post
                          Digging the title track, has a nice Muscle Shoals feel going on.

Comment

• Sadly, Oteil Burbridge posted that his brother Kofi has passed away...on the day the band released their new album. Very sad news... He was with Derek for many years and they clearly had a strong connection. He was a fantastic musician. RIP, bro, and thanks for the music.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                              Sadly, Oteil Burbridge posted that his brother Kofi has passed away...on the day the band released their new album. Very sad news... He was with Derek for many years and they clearly had a strong connection. He was a fantastic musician. RIP, bro, and thanks for the music.
                              Very sad news. And on the day that TTB released their new album, which deals with the loss of some other close friends, came out. RIP Kofi.

Comment

• That's sad. He always seemed to be really enjoying himself on stage.

Col Bruce, Gregg, Butch, Kofi - that's a lot to lose in a short period.

Comment

Working...
                                X