All things Tedeschi/Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
    This old Dead Head is going both nights...way down low the first night just how I like it and mid-balcony the 2nd. Like the Dead, you know you are gonna get two completely different batch of songs. And, as with the Beacon, I would expect a guest or two. Ivan and Ian sat in at Lockn' and maybe Sonny Landreth will have nothing better to do than drive on down. It was a real treat seeing him with the band in Lafayette in February.

I saw Ian at the bar when I played at Atchafalya right after Lockn'. I had just seen him play with TTB on the webcast so I told him he did a great job. He said that Derek asked him to sit in backstage and he immediately said yes but about a minute later he went, "Oh shit...". He has come a long way with his lead playing from when he started with Dumpstaphunk and really only played Meters-style rhythm.
    Has Sonny ever sat in with them? If so, on what tunes. Sonny and Derek should sound interesting.

Comment

I saw Sonny sit in with TTB in February in Lafayette. Sonny and Derek played together mid show doing "Going Down Slow" sung by Mike Mattison, with a long coda where Derek and Sonny stood side by side chasing each other's tails for several minutes until you literally could not tell who was playing what. It was magic. He came out at the end and played again during the "Let's Go Get Stoned" encore.

The crowd that night was so good...no phones out, no CFWs talking. I attributed it to the role music plays in the region. People realized this was a special band worthy of total attention and the band responded with a sublime performance.
      Last edited by chopitulas; 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Tedeschi Trucks Band have kicked off their annual run at the Orpheum Theater in the heart of Boston. The three night run will be there final three appearances of another massive year of touring. In 2018, TTB did 80+ shows including their popular Wheels of Soul tour and another blazing run at the Beacon last [...]

Comment

I saw today bass player Tim Lefebvre is leaving the band, the final Boston show being his last. He recently got married to another musician who also tours and he is in the Blackstar band led by sax player Donny McCaslin (saw them with Tim in Portland recently) that is busy now with Donny having released a new album Tim is on, so I figure he musta wanted more control over his schedule. Hate to see him go as I thought he did a great job with TTB, particularly in the jammier sections, not surprising given his jazz credentials.

Looks like the band will be arriving at the Saenger in January with a new bass player.

Comment

I saw today bass player Tim Lefebvre is leaving the band, the final Boston show being his last. He recently got married to another musician who also tours and he is in the Blackstar band led by sax player Donny McCaslin (saw them with Tim in Portland recently) that is busy now with Donny having released a new album Tim is on, so I figure he musta wanted more control over his schedule. Hate to see him go as I thought he did a great job with TTB, particularly in the jammier sections, not surprising given his jazz credentials.

Looks like the band will be arriving at the Saenger in January with a new bass player.
            I know a good bass player.

You should throw your hat in the ring.

Comment

Wow, they go through them bass players. Maybe they will have GPjr. sit in again for a few shows until they get a new full timer.

Comment

Originally posted by Picklemic View Post
                Wow, they go through them bass players. Maybe they will have GPjr. sit in again for a few shows until they get a new full timer.
                They were basically auditioning during the Boston run, Another bassist took over for Tim during about half of the show I saw. Not anyone I recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by bRETT View Post

They were basically auditioning during the Boston run, Another bassist took over for Tim during about half of the show I saw. Not anyone I recognized.
                  They did that 2 of the nights. Different players each night. I also hadn't heard of either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

I know a good bass player.

You should throw your hat in the ring.
                    That's too bad. Derek has said multiple times that the band really took off when Tim joined. I did think it was a strange fit as Tim comes from a much different musical background but he was great with them and really seemed to enjoy playing with them.

Maybe George can sit in when they play here next month. I'll right up front at both shows!

Comment

Access to curated selection of Tedeschi Trucks Band concert recordings is one of the benefits of the group's newly launched 'Swamp Family' fan club.

Comment

New bass player for the January / February dates is Brandon Boone, but not clear whether this is an extended "trial" or permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post
                          New bass player for the January / February dates is Brandon Boone, but not clear whether this is an extended "trial" or permanent.
                          He has played with Col. Bruce Hampton, Jimmy Herring,Yonrico Scott and TTB member Kebbi Williams.
                          I hope he is learning a lot of songs!

Comment

Just read on FB that Kofi Burbridge is back in the hospital. That is too bad. They have a replacement keyboard player lined up for upcoming shows but that is now two important players who are being replaced. Hope it doesn't effect the band too badly and all best wishes for Kofi's health.

This is the band's statement:

TTB family: unfortunately Kofi Burbridge has suffered a recent setback related to his surgery in 2017 and had to undergo a follow-up procedure last week. The doctors feel good about his recent progress and we're hoping he'll be out of the hospital soon, but he'll need some time for recovery. TTB is fortunate to have a talented circle of friends/family to call on when a bandmate is in need, and renowned keyboardist Gabe Dixon made himself available to cover for Kofi while he gets better. We appreciate everyone's best wishes for Kofi and we're all looking forward to his healthy recovery and return to the stage where he belongs.
                            Last edited by chopitulas; 01-03-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Just read on FB that Kofi Burbridge is back in the hospital. That is too bad. They have a replacement keyboard player lined up for upcoming shows but that is now two important players who are being replaced. Hope it doesn't effect the band too badly and all best wishes for Kofi's health.

This is the band's statement:

TTB family: unfortunately Kofi Burbridge has suffered a recent setback related to his surgery in 2017 and had to undergo a follow-up procedure last week. The doctors feel good about his recent progress and we're hoping he'll be out of the hospital soon, but he'll need some time for recovery. TTB is fortunate to have a talented circle of friends/family to call on when a bandmate is in need, and renowned keyboardist Gabe Dixon made himself available to cover for Kofi while he gets better. We appreciate everyone's best wishes for Kofi and we're all looking forward to his healthy recovery and return to the stage where he belongs.
                              Wow! That is too bad. We missed him the last time they played without him. I am going both nights. I would think it would harder to play different songs each night especially as there are no openers so it is just them playing two sets each night, usually for 2 1/2 hours.

Comment

Yeah, I saw them with the last replacement keyboard player and thought he did OK but when Kofi came back, I realized how much was missing. Kofi and Derek have a very long relationship and their interplay is significant. The replacement soloed when called on but didn't do much noteworthy in the midst of songs whereas Kofi is always contributing.

It does make me wonder how deep they can go at the Saenger, as well, with a new bass player and a replacement keyboard player both who will only have a few shows under their belt before the two at the Saenger. (The old Deadhead in me got tickets for both nights, too, thinking you would get four completely different sets.)

Comment

Working...
                                X