Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preview: first cut from upcoming release

Comment

DTB was bad-ass, TTB's more-and-more like goofy blues-pop. Laying slide over nearly everything doesn't make it great.

We nearly left a couple of TTB shows early, just bored to tears with the monotony (didn't walk-out, in large part b/c also so over-priced).

Way over-rated ... Let Mike Sing!!

Comment

Originally posted by carlindj View Post
        We nearly left a couple of TTB shows early, just bored to tears with the monotony (didn't walk-out, in large part b/c also so over-priced).

Way over-rated ...
        Wow, voicing the above sentiments is certainly a bold move around these parts, where to many longtime Threadheads, Tedeschi Trucks Band is seemingly more musically significant and accomplished than Beethoven, The Beatles and Big Freedia combined.

I came late to my appreciation (such as it is) of TTB, but as I have mentioned before, for me, their appeal is almost completely, 99.5% dependant on the wealth of cover songs that they play on any given night, from old R'n'B standards to classic Motown stuff or obscure, long forgotten Funk chestnuts all the way to straight ahead Rock 'n' Roll classics, they always bring a few dank nuggets to the party, but as far as their original stuff goes. frankly it all falls flat to my ears, nothing truly unique or musically noteworthy that I can hear, and certainly nothing that any music historian will be talking about 20, 30 or 50 years from now.

Comment

Their last and recently-departed bassist shared your opinion about their songwriting. I suspect that was part of what ushered him out the door. He gets a lot of side work, but he'll never play live gigs on the same level, so he left a pretty big check on the table when he left the band.

Comment

DTB was bad-ass, TTB's more-and-more like goofy blues-pop. Laying slide over nearly everything doesn't make it great.

Sacrilege !!

I thought they were great the two times I saw them. The show at the Joy during BBQ Fest was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. I agree with MM, they lack great original songs, although Midnight in Harlem is a classic. I may go to the Saenger to try for a cheap ticket. Shouldn't be so hard based on all the available tiks still for sale.

Comment

As the uber boss of Office Space said, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there....
              The covers are all generally awesome, but I think that along with midnight in harlem a lot of the material from Let Me Get By was excellent, including the title track, Just as strange, and Crying over you.
              To each their own though.
              I have great seats for the Monday night and am psyched to have them.

Comment

Good songwriters are harder to find than good musicians. The covers are my favorite part of TTB shows, but I also enjoy the superior musical ability of all the players on all their songs. Aren't Govt Mule equally or more dependent on covers? Do any of the newer jam bands have the same level of songwriting that The Dead and The Allman's had? Both of those bands were also known for their many covers which on any given show could be equal to or surpass their original material.
                Last edited by Kemp; 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

goofy blues-pop? I couldn't disagree more. They do one or two lightweight songs here and there but the rest I love. Susan and Derek bring out the best in each other. I disagree with others above in that I really enjoy their songs and wish they would do LESS covers on stage. That being said I'd like to see Derek make another solo album of more jazzier music which TTB delves into at times. They are not DTB although they play a song or two from that band. Their sound is based on the music of my youth: Allmans, Delaney & Bonnie, Sly & The Family Stone, The Band, Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Traffic, Leon Russell.

I'll be right up front both nights at The Saenger which will cap off a rather slow month here in New Orleans (except for The Saints at The Dome on Sunday!) music wise which is probably a good thing as December (except for Jazz Fest the best month for local music) was crazy and Da Gras is right around the corner!

Comment

Got my tix for the Warner in DC in Feb. At those prices 1 night will easily suffice. Carlin has given the band many shots and it doesn't do it for him. So be it. For me, I love the sprawling rock band, the horn lines,3-4 part harmonies, spot on solos and Susan's soulful vocals. The slow burn Derek improvs can be magical. A few of their tunes are real keepers. Songwriting is not their strength, the live performances are. Love that they stay in the smaller, theater venues. Can't wait. Although I have a Joe Jackson theater show coming sooner. Love me some Joe Jackson, but I drift...........

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Sacrilege !!

I thought they were great the two times I saw them. The show at the Joy during BBQ Fest was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. I agree with MM, they lack great original songs, although Midnight in Harlem is a classic. I may go to the Saenger to try for a cheap ticket. Shouldn't be so hard based on all the available tiks still for sale.
                      I'm pretty sure Mike Mattison wrote that song (it is on his solo record). If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it here

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

goofy blues-pop? I couldn't disagree more. They do one or two lightweight songs here and there but the rest I love. Susan and Derek bring out the best in each other. I disagree with others above in that I really enjoy their songs and wish they would do LESS covers on stage. That being said I'd like to see Derek make another solo album of more jazzier music which TTB delves into at times. They are not DTB although they play a song or two from that band. Their sound is based on the music of my youth: Allmans, Delaney & Bonnie, Sly & The Family Stone, The Band, Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Traffic, Leon Russell.

I'll be right up front both nights at The Saenger which will cap off a rather slow month here in New Orleans (except for The Saints at The Dome on Sunday!) music wise which is probably a good thing as December (except for Jazz Fest the best month for local music) was crazy and Da Gras is right around the corner!
                        Me too - I generally prefer fewer covers no matter which band is playing, but with TTB, I just appreciate the musicianship of almost every player and vocalist on every song

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                          Good songwriters are harder to find than good musicians. The covers are my favorite part of TTB shows, but I also enjoy the superior musical ability of all the players on all their songs. Aren't Govt Mule equally or more dependent on covers? Do any of the newer jam bands have the same level of songwriting that The Dead and The Allman's had? Both of those bands were also known for their many covers which on any given show could be equal to or surpass their original material.
                          I agree with this...I try to listen to their studio records(Mule, TTB, Marcus King and others)...but very seldom do I listen to them more than a handful of times...as I have stated before on this board...I seem to be
                          stuck on live recordings of all of the above...TTB, CRB, Wilco, As the Crow Flies, TAB, ABB...even some of the Dead stuff...I can go on and on...ha...ha...

Comment

II made a cd of all of my favorite TTB songs and it's quite good. Let Me Get by is their only album I can listen to straight through. I hope their new one will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                              II made a cd of all of my favorite TTB songs and it's quite good. Let Me Get by is their only album I can listen to straight through. I hope their new one will be the same.
                              Not if that song above is any 'semblance of an indication (just gave it another listen - ouch).

Many valid points above. Seen 'em 10-15 times, they're so missing the 'fun' factor anymore - rote, almost mechanical. They were stuck in the middle of Outlaw Fest in September, so I had little choice but give 'em yet another shot. As usual, nothing wrong with it exactly, but the least engaging performance of the day (probably didn't help they followed Stirgill).

And I don't think she brings out the best in Derek at all ... but who'd know anymore.

Matthew - glad you were the first to chime in, amigo. Don't stray too far again.

Comment

Not if that song above is any 'semblance of an indication (just gave it another listen - ouch).

Many valid points above. Seen 'em 10-15 times, they're so missing the 'fun' factor anymore - rote, almost mechanical. They were stuck in the middle of Outlaw Fest in September, so I had little choice but give 'em yet another shot. As usual, nothing wrong with it exactly, but the least engaging performance of the day (probably didn't help they followed Stirgill).

And I don't think she brings out the best in Derek at all ... but who'd know anymore.

Matthew - glad you were the first to chime in, amigo. Don't stray too far again.
                                So funny how tastes just vary. If you gave me a choice of CDs between Let Me Get By and Sailor's Guide To Earth, I would take the TTB everytime. Maybe it was just overhyped by reviewers, but I thought Sailor's Guide was the most over-rated thing I'd ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X