No announcement yet.

All things Tedeschi/Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was at the Friday night show in Chicago last week. The entire audience stood all night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      That's a bummer, HLS. I like the layout of Orpheum or Joy with SRO on floor and seats above.
      I agree. Those theaters are much smaller and this is where the Fillmore may fit in, it's similar sized to the Saenger but better suited to a show where most will be standing.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Heads up to everyone going tonight! I will be standing and dancing most the night!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jr504 View Post
          Heads up to everyone going tonight! I will be standing and dancing most the night!
          Ditto!

Comment

• I don't see how you can ask someone to sit down at a rock show. I took my mom to TTB a few years back and we had good seats and the folks in front of us stood. My mom looked disappointed a bit even though she never said anything and certainly couldn't stand the whole show. I told her we just had to deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGregor View Post
              I don't see how you can ask someone to sit down at a rock show. I took my mom to TTB a few years back and we had good seats and the folks in front of us stood. My mom looked disappointed a bit even though she never said anything and certainly couldn't stand the whole show. I told her we just had to deal with it.
              this is the "thing" with TTB...going back to the "show-biz" discussion...is TTB a rock show?...don't get me wrong, I think they are a great live band, but what is
              their core audience?...where do they fit? again I am not talking about NYC or Boston...2,500 people out several million is not a true test...the cost of a ticket is
              $100...can younger people afford that?...I am not sure...I am not sure how many $100 tickets I can afford...

I did a test with my friends a few years ago...TTB was playing the Strand(smaller but same family as the Saenger) theater...we had great seats 3rd row and second
              row Center...everyone one stayed seated until the encore...I was not happy...it was a great show...next Gov't Mule played the Municipal...not a very big crowd but
              nice size...everyone stood...so is it because Gov't Mule is a rock show and TTB is something else...?...the result of the test everyone one of friends preferred the
              Mule...so I asked them...The Energy...we could stand and dance..."would you go back to see TTB?"...they all said no thanks...I was floored...??

Comment

• Great show. Derek was absolutely on fire...every solo a sizzler. The "Guilded Splinters" opener was perfect and the crowd seemed to audibly gasp when they realized they were doing Dr. John's tune. Susan and Derek both killed the blues tunes, including ".44 Blues" that I have never heard them do. There was a lot of Southern soul including "Sweet Inspiration" that fit perfectly down South, as well. The band was tighter than ever, the new guys fit in fine, the drummers were like a machine, and it was an outstanding evening.

And, yes, I have a CPAP machine and am old and I like having a seat. Don't tell me to stay home! Humph... I weigh in on both sides of the standing/seating issue. I like to concentrate on the band's playing, Derek's in particular, and can do that just fine sitting down. I am no less into it than anybody else, I can guarantee it.

When it is a theater show, you have purchased a seat. I feel that entitles you to do what you want in that seat and the area around it. It is not an open dance floor situation, you have a seat. But if you want to stand up and "dance," that is your right. You should realize you might be blocking the view of someone behind you but I still say it is your right. What I think, though, is that it would be more polite to gauge the situation. If you are the only one standing, you are blocking the person behind you and most likely, quite a few others.

But that doesn't give you the right to move to any place in the venue you feel like, I'm sorry, particularly if that is in the aisle. You have no right to that space, you have a seat that you bought. When I've paid $100 a ticket, you are not going to stand in front of me and my girlfriend and block our view. Get back to your seat! Or move to the sides where you aren't blocking anyone else's view.

And what people call "dancing'...what white people call dancing...is very often some strange gyration distracting to those you seem to be unaware of effected by your movement into their space. Often, it seems to me, it is more about attracting attention to one's self than reacting to the music. There was one dude in the aisle last night who was clearly doing that. Next thing you know, he is talking to my girlfriend in her aisle seat as the music played. Dude...we really don't want to be dealing with you.

I go back to Fillmore West/Winterland and Henry J. Kaiser where "festival seating" was invented. I understand the freedom of an open floor. I feel theaters are different animals and those that do enjoy sitting should be able to enjoy the show as they wish.

Just my opinion. What actually pisses me off is I can't pull out my pipe like the old days...

The old Deadhead in me says you go both nights 'cuz you will get a completely different bunch of material so I am going back tonight. This band is something special.
                Last edited by chopitulas; 01-29-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Well said “chopitulas”. I agree on almost every level. My wife is “vertically” challenged and it took forever for me to understand that what I was seeing and experiencing was not what was happening for her. One night at Tipitinas it really kicked in and ever since I have spent countless moments dealing with both rude and ignorant and clueless folks of both sexes.
                  Trust me we love to stand. Just not non-stop and we always check behind and around.
                  It’s similar to the “tarp” deal. A bit of awareness and politeness and courtesy goes a long way.

Comment

• One thing that I have noticed over the years is that people tend to stand and get into shows more on the weekend when they can drink more and not having worked that day. The only thing worse than everyone sitting is the up and down depending on the song. Totally annoying. So it's ok to stand for this song but not the last one? Why?

Comment

• Because some songs aren't really danceable in the first place. Maybe you feel like getting up for one, maybe the next...something like "Bird On A Wire'...you'd rather just concentrate on listening to. That's the luxury of having a seat. Don't understand why it is necessary to stand the whole time.

Comment

• Fortunately, at the overly ripe old age of sixty-six until March, I'm still standing. In most cases, that is. I can't remember the last time I carried a chair to Fest. The no chair/tarp rule for Stones day does not bother me a bit. All the Stones shows I have ever attended have resulted in everyone in attendance on their feet. Friends are coming from out of town this year, one of whom has health problems, and I'm sure she will not be able to stand all day so I may bring a chair for some of those Fest days. I guess the bottom line (pun intended) is that some shows are better sitting down, others standing. Some people need to sit; others don't. Profound. I know. Some of you may have gathered that I am a big fan of a band called NRBQ, and that I see them as much as I can. They are doing a show in mid March about ninety minutes from my home, and I haven't decided if I am going because they are playing in a venue in Northern Virginia called The Birchmere. The Birchmere is a great place to hear music. Usually, the sound is great and the sight lines are good. The problem is it is strictly a sit down venue with enforced rules about what you can and can't do during a show. All of which is fine for some kinds of music and performers. The particular show I am talking about also features a great old regional band called Skip Castro as the opener. Both of these bands are ass kickers that make most people want to move. I will probably go unless the Q adds another show closer to me. Strangely, another venue where I love to see the Q is also a strictly sit down establishment. I'm speaking of The Turning Point in Piermont, NY. The vibe is different and sitting there doesn't seem to bother anyone in attendance, all of whom are usually big, long time fans of the band. One of my favorite concerts last year was McQuinn/Hillman/Stuart in a beautiful little theater with perfect sound, assigned and comfortable seats, and great stage visibility. As soon as we got there, the couple right in front of me turned around and said, "Hope you don't mind if we dance". The rest of the entire audience remained seated and happy throughout the performance except for those behind these two rhythmically impaired but very happy people. My wife told me not to be mean and I wasn't, but my enjoyment of an otherwise perfect concert experience was diminished by the inconsiderate, but happy people directly in front of me. The last two times I've seen TTB, whom I love, I have remained seated during most, but not all, of their performance. They aren't a throw down rock and roll outfit. Since I started attending musical performances fifty years ago some have been yelling "Sit down!" Often at me.
                        Last edited by Kemp; 01-29-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Even Kofi said it was okay to stand. Get up, you fat gump ..,

Comment

• I am a long term stander, and did not go to the last TTB show at Saenger because of this.

Some people are not able to stand for long periods of time, which is why they purchase a seat and they have very right to be able to see what they paid for.

If you are standing to the side or in the aisle and not blocking anyones view and effecting entry and egress, then you should be allowed to stand.

The Fillmore may be a good compromise for events with numbers such as these?

But the acts could need to be tied to the Live Nation stable?

Comment

• Solid show. Because the crowd was lighter than Monday it seemed it was lot looser. As soon as Susan said, "Kofi said it's okay to stand," most stood and had fun.

Started a little slow, but it was alright.

Some highlights I remember:

Sitting in Limbo
                              The Letter
                              Midnight in Harlem
                              Leaving Trunk
                              Give Peace a Chance (I'm hazy on this. Sorry, I was exhausted after standing for 60 minutes)

Last edited by Quint; 01-30-2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tedes...-1b95fd20.html

Comment

Working...
                                X