George Porter Jr across the pond in the UK this fall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Porter Jr across the pond in the UK this fall

George Porter Jr will be bringing the funk to the UK this fall !!

September 18 Tues
    George Porter Jr & Runnin' Pardners @ 100 Club
    London UK

September 19 Weds
    George Porter Jr & Runnin' Pardners @ The Wardrobe
    Leeds UK

September 20 Thurs

George Porter Jr & Runnin' Pardners @ Band On The Wall
    Manchester UK

September 21 Fri

George Porter Jr & Runnin' Pardners @ Norwich Arts Centre
    Norwich UK

The Band will be returning to the USA for a Northeast Tour starting September 26

Check www.georgeporterjr.com for details

Well Mathew needs to get across the Chanel hook up with his old mate Lord Horror and they can show George some love.

Comment

What the hey, as they say in London Towne, "In for a Penny, In for a Pound."

Gards, please tell H.R.Horror that if his parole officer will give him a travel chit for the night, I will see him at the show, assuming the local white people grant me safe passage thru the high streets of The Olde Smoke.

Hey Deni, if you see this and get the chance, please tell ol' George I am flying in from Krakow and can't wait to hear some authentic, uncut Crescent City StreetFunk again. Been too damn long...
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 08-11-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

And if anyone wants to feel a little bit better about what they have to pay for a room in N.O. during Jazzfest, I suggest just looking up prices for a "midrange" hotel room in London on a random Wed. night (specifically 9/18) in September.

Mollyfocking OBSCENE.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
          And if anyone wants to feel a little bit better about what they have to pay for a room in N.O. during Jazzfest, I suggest just looking up prices for a "midrange" hotel room in London on a random Wed. night (specifically 9/18) in September.

Mollyfocking OBSCENE.
          Check out some cheaper places a short walk from Paddington station

Comment

I was hoping to reach out to some of you not on Facebook folks hurrah ..I was close to accompanying them ....but spending a week in a van or a week at the beach was not a tough choice to make. I will warn GPjr Matthew ..reach out to me via email DLSMUSICPHOTO at gmail

Comment

Deni, so lovely to see your name here on the board again!!!

Really looking forward to hearing George in England, as not making Jazzfest this year was pretty tuff to take, I guess after 21 years in a row, old habits really do die hard, but life here in beautiful Krakow could not possibly be any better or more fulfilling, so I am not exactly feeling sorry for myself.

I guess with you living your dreams in the Crescent City, both of or lives have changed pretty dramatically since we randomly, accidently met at that intimate little Rads show in the seafood restaurant in Connecticut, eh?

ETA---Was that back in 2004 or 2005? Seems like it was a million years ago....

Comment

BTW, yesterday I ran into a guy I know from London who lives here in Krakow and mentioned to him that I was going to fly to the UK for some music next month, and when I told him the name of the venue that George is playing in London (100 Club) he told me that it was an institution among English music venues, one of the most famous clubs in the country, a place where the Punk scene of the 1970's was born (he said he thought it was where the Sex Pistols played their first public gig, though I don't know if he was correct or not) apparently the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney have played intimate, unannounced shows there as warm ups for major tours and as it has been around since 1942, both Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman played there back in the day.

If anyone is up for what is sure to be a memorable evening of New Orleans StreetFunk at its finest with an order of fish & chips on the side, get in touch...

Comment

I've been to pretty much every venue in London over the years, but have never been to the 100 Club, so this will be a first! Hope to see you guys there.

BTW I believe that the Pistols first gig was at St Martin's College of Art, but they did play the 100 Club early on, as did most of the great original UK punk bands (Clash, Jam, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Siouxsie etc.)

Apparently, even Louis Armstrong played there in 1956!

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post
                    I've been to pretty much every venue in London over the years, but have never been to the 100 Club, so this will be a first! Hope to see you guys there.

BTW I believe that the Pistols first gig was at St Martin's College of Art, but they did play the 100 Club early on, as did most of the great original UK punk bands (Clash, Jam, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Siouxsie etc.)

Apparently, even Louis Armstrong played there in 1956!
                    I have been to the 100 club on one of my visits to London, I am now racking my addled brain to try and remember who we saw there.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                      BTW, yesterday I ran into a guy I know from London who lives here in Krakow and mentioned to him that I was going to fly to the UK for some music next month, and when I told him the name of the venue that George is playing in London (100 Club) he told me that it was an institution among English music venues, one of the most famous clubs in the country, a place where the Punk scene of the 1970's was born (he said he thought it was where the Sex Pistols played their first public gig, though I don't know if he was correct or not) apparently the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney have played intimate, unannounced shows there as warm ups for major tours and as it has been around since 1942, both Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman played there back in the day.

If anyone is up for what is sure to be a memorable evening of New Orleans StreetFunk at its finest with an order of fish & chips on the side, get in touch...
                      Will dig out an old WWOZ or Nevilles t-shirt to wear so you can spot me if you want to say hi!.

Comment

Hopefully Matthew will be emotionally cleansed after this gig and rejoin the board.

Comment

I hate to quibble, but the autumnal equinox is not until Saturday, 9/22. Therefore, the GPJr shows in the UK will take place in (very) late summer.

How fun for those of you lucky enough to attend!

I'll be thinking about you while we cheer on the SFGiants in a meaningless game at the San Diego Padres stadium, Petco Park.

Comment

I saw The Jam at the 100 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post

Will dig out an old WWOZ or Nevilles t-shirt to wear so you can spot me if you want to say hi!.
                              I will look for you upfront tonight.

Should be a great, funky good time!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X