RIP Andy Goessling (Railroad Earth)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Andy Goessling (Railroad Earth)

From Railroad Earth. I know there's plenty of Hobos here...

Friends we come with heavy hearts and the sad news that our brother Andy has passed. He was truly one of a kind - a brilliant musician, and a better person. It was a privilege to share this journey with him, and through his music he touched many lives. There's simply too much to feel right now, words are hard to find, and we'll have more to say in time.

How dear to my heart, how precious the moments, we stood side by side, singing a song (Hazel Dickens x RRE)

Man, I loved Andy. One great musician, could play everything, horns, mandos, keys, you name it. Hangtown is going to emotion on steroids.

From Tim Carbone

"I lost one of my best friends this morning. RIP Andy Goessling. There are no adequate words to express my grief. It is incalculable the amount of knowledge youve imparted to me or the mountain of inspiration you have given me. It was an honor to play, create and share music with you. We had a great run brother. 40 years of laughs, tears, love and music. I am blessed to have known you. We grew up in a Greyhound bus together. Travel gently to the other side. Say howdy to Tucker and Buck. I know well meet again but I miss you already."

Comment

ANDY'S favorite Railroad Earth song. This is from my RRE buddy Samsa Lila.

This is not like a celebrity dying. This is our community. I love all of you hobos so much. Railroad Earth is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in music. All of the love and grief pouring out right now gives me an odd sense of extreme purpose and gratitude. I feel like Andy's spirit is watching over us right now. Even through virtual reality I feel like his spirit is touching in. This is our time to Revel with his spirit in gratitude and gratefulness of the abundance of Amazing Magic that we all shared together and will continue to share. Light a candle and hug your loved ones. As we all give Andy's passing spirit the biggest Round of Applause we have ever. Thank you Andy for being incredible and versatile and absolutely no smoke and mirrors. He is just pure talent and joy in the art of music. Incredible unique gem in this lifetime, in this Railroad Earth for whatever it's worth. Singing songs and staying High..... oh mama ain't it good to be alive?
      I once asked Andy what his favorite Railroad Earth Song was. And he told me, the song Railroad Earth.
      Last edited by bennyboy; 10-12-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

RRE was the band that brought everyone together. Not too jammy, but at times would get plenty deep. Traditional bluegrass, honky tonkers, cowboys, and rockers all were hobos. There was a huge cross section of fans. On our way down to HSBG I played some for the crewe and they loved it, even though they never heard them before. Andy is gonna be tough to replace, now there's three guys that have been covering for him.
        Railroad Earth multi-instrumentalist and co-founding member Andy Goessling has died.

Comment

From Warren Haynes

RIP Andy Gossling-I just heard that Andy passed. He was a sweet guy and a wonderful musician. He played every instrument he could get his hands on. So much knowledge and history floating around in that musical brain of his. Im reminded of our time together making the Ashes and Dust album. With each song we tackled he would gravitate to a different instrument- in some cases, one I would never have thought of, which would always be a cool texture for the song. Right now Im listening to the beautiful New Orleans-style clarinet he played in Stranded In Self-Pity from Ashes and Dust and remembering those moments in the studio. I wish Id known him longer. My heart goes out to his family and all the guys in RRE.- WH

Comment

Rest In Peace Andy Goessling....

Through this Railroad Earth, for whatever its worth
            Singing songs and staying high
            And you know I'll be where my heart beats free
            And my thoughts are free to fly
            Oh Mama please don't make me lie
            I need my freedom
            I need my open sky
            And your socks and shirt, on your bed of dirt
            With the midnight moon up high
            And you know I've been where the midnight wind
            Makes your soul and spirit cry
            Oh Mama please don't ask me why
            I need my freedom
            I need my open sky
            Through this Railroad Earth for, whatever its worth
            Getting long and getting by
            And you know I miss every single kiss
            As the years go rolling by
            Oh Mama ain't it good to be alive
            Where your mountain top and feeling high
            Oh Mama ain't it good to be alive
            While your down the road and free to ride
            Oh Mama please don't make me lie

Comment

Sorry for all the posts, but Andy was family. RRE is family and so are the Hobos. Most celebrities when they pass, you usually don't have a deep personal connection to other than their art, which drew you to them in the first place. But not this one. I knew and spoke with Andy many times. He was the most open musician I ever met and his outsized love of life was infectious. He would jam with anyone and everyone, didn't matter where, he loved to play music. Hangtown is going to be strange with Andy absent, my own life and more life deal and my hobo crewe not in attendance this year. I need some hugs.

Comment

Great tribute last night. Jeff Austin and Dead Winter Carpenters. Bird In The House.
                Last edited by bennyboy; 10-15-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Im at Hangtown, RREs festival. They are about to come on. Gonna be interesting. The first band, John Stickly Trio, told a beautiful story about Andy. I cried. (BTW, check Stickly out, interesting band, acoustic guitar, fiddle and a tom loving drummer) kind of a celtic thing, but not really.

This is going to be so emotional. Ive already shed tears. Andy was a friendly acquaintance, we hung out a few times. Guy was an amazing musician, nothing he wouldnt, or couldn't play. Redds, strings, keys, you name it. Im curious how the band covers. I see a keyboard rig, B3 and a Leslie, so thats cool. Looks like there will be another player as well. Hendrix as the break music is flipping me out. When a band does that, well you know they plan to do the same.

About ready. Man, I loved Andy, he will be missed. The band will be much changed too.

Comment

Great set last night. Head opener with Eric Yates (Hot Buttered Rum) on Banjo and flutes. Besides Andy, Eric is the only person I can think of that plays strings and reeds. Matt Slocum on Keys, piano and B3 too. Todd did a lot more guitaring than he usually does, covering for Andy's guitar. . The keys were, in the beginning, hard to hear, but at the end Matt was shining. A great piano duel between Matt and John Skeehan and a great solo in the set closer, Elko.
                    so weird though it is, they'll recover and thrive and change, but they'll always be Railroad Earth.

Pink Talking Fish. An amazing late night show BTW, . Phish, Talking Heads and pink Floyd covers. Not mashed up, full songs, but huge jams. Huge jams. Really stellar stuff. Careful With That Axe, Eugene kind of weird.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                      Im at Hangtown, RREs festival. They are about to come on. Gonna be interesting. The first band, John Stickly Trio, told a beautiful story about Andy. I cried. (BTW, check Stickly out, interesting band, acoustic guitar, fiddle and a tom loving drummer) kind of a celtic thing, but not really.

This is going to be so emotional. Ive already shed tears. Andy was a friendly acquaintance, we hung out a few times. Guy was an amazing musician, nothing he wouldnt, or couldn't play. Redds, strings, keys, you name it. Im curious how the band covers. I see a keyboard rig, B3 and a Leslie, so thats cool. Looks like there will be another player as well. Hendrix as the break music is flipping me out. When a band does that, well you know they plan to do the same.

About ready. Man, I loved Andy, he will be missed. The band will be much changed too.
                      RIP Andy. I been trying to tell y'all about Stickly for years...

Comment

Looking forward to seeing RRE at New Year's Eve this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ohio View Post

RIP Andy. I been trying to tell y'all about Stickly for years...
                          I'll give another shout out to Stickly. Had a little prog thing in that Americana. Liked it a lot a couple of years ago at Festy.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post
                            Looking forward to seeing RRE at New Year's Eve this year.
                            That will be Papa Phil and Stacy's (Tour mgr and merch director who are longtime NORCAL family) last shows, they are retiring. That will be very emotional, they are damn near part of the band. Losing a lot of the crew is going to be changing for them'

To the music. RRE killed. On Saturday no Eric Yates, the soldiered on. REALLY LOUD.
                            . The keys really added color. Amazing pirate costumes for the band. Joe Craven did the opening and them jammed out with them on "Drunken Sailor" an old sea chanty....
                            Sunday, the Seven Story Mountain was incredible, best ever IMO. Again, no Eric. They did have a great sit in with various Stringdusters (Guitar and banjo). Really, thy played thier asses off. Last night everyone wore Andy shirts and his hats. Very touching.

I don't know what the future brings though. Them's some large shoes to fill. The keys are nice BUT that kind of takes the big string band thing out of the band which is why I love them.

Comment

Sweet, Tim Carbone talks Andy, the future, sit ins. Great article.
                              The Art Of The Sit-In features Tim Carbone of Railroad Earth discussing the recent death of Andy Goessling, the future of the band, performing with The Allman Brothers Band and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X