Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones headlining Thursday

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've only seen The Stones once, back in '73 when Mick Taylor was on lead (pre Ronnie). It's amongst the top 10 shows I have ever seen (mind you, I have 50 or 60 in my top ten , it's flexible ) and there is no way on earth they will ever again top that show.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by peteup View Post
      I've only seen The Stones once, back in '73 when Mick Taylor was on lead (pre Ronnie). It's amongst the top 10 shows I have ever seen (mind you, I have 50 or 60 in my top ten , it's flexible ) and there is no way on earth they will ever again top that show.
      I love Mick Taylor, too. His tenure with the band coincided with Mick and Keith's peak as songwriters and collaborators. Lately, Taylor has not sounded so good to me, and a solo show I saw in the eighties is the number one disappointment in my concert going experience. But, you are right. He was amazing with The Stones in those days. The LA Forum Alive in 75 cd reveals how good the band can be live with Woody in tow.

      Comment


      • The Havana Moon DVD from not that long ago is amazing, on several levels. I thought the improvement with Ron Wood being sober was very evident, the whole band in top form. The shows I heard from last summer in the UK were excellent, as well.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DaBreeze View Post

          I know the mists of time are hazy - but it was the 1981 US 'Sill Life' tour. In 1982 it was Europe. They did not tour again until 1989 'Steel Wheels'. Just sayin'.
          You are correct. The Stones with Thorogood as the opener was 81.

          Comment


          • Tremendous juxtaposition between seeing Beatles live in ‘64 and Stones in ‘65 at same venue. We went from “Please Please Me” to “Get Off My Cloud”.

            Comment


            • I saw the 81 tour at the LA Coliseum. Openers were George, J Geils band and Prince. Long before Purple Rain.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                You are correct. The Stones with Thorogood as the opener was 81.
                We saw them that year in LA with Prince, J Geils, and Thorogood. Prince was booed off the stage!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                  I love Mick Taylor, too. His tenure with the band coincided with Mick and Keith's peak as songwriters and collaborators. Lately, Taylor has not sounded so good to me, and a solo show I saw in the eighties is the number one disappointment in my concert going experience. But, you are right. He was amazing with The Stones in those days. The LA Forum Alive in 75 cd reveals how good the band can be live with Woody in tow.
                  I disagree. Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were before Mick joined The Stones and contain some of their best songs.

                  I have seen them more times that I can remember. They are still a lot of fun to go see but musically they are decades past their prime. It will be kind of surreal seeing them blocks away at The Fest. I thought the same about seeing Springsteen there.
                  Last edited by jjazznj; 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                    I disagree. Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were before Mick joined The Stones and contain some of their best songs.

                    I have seen them more times that I can remember. They are still a lot of fun to go see but musically they are decades past their prime. It will be kind of surreal seeing them blocks away at The Fest. I thought the same about seeing Springsteen there.
                    I agree those are two great albums. Mick Taylor does play on two songs from Let It Bleed. He also played on the single "Honky Tonk Women" from the same period. I'm 66 now and not what I was in the seventies either so I guess seeing these old embarrassments doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                      They are still a lot of fun to go see but musically they are decades past their prime. It will be kind of surreal seeing them blocks away at The Fest.
                      Yep. I mean the Stones are playing 10 blocks from my house, I'm going.

                      I'm also super jealous of several stories. Seeing the Mick Taylor-era live? Woah.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post
                        Two of the best put-downs EVER, in the same thread.

                        The idea of anyone or anything being blown away by George Thoroawful is just glorious.



                        "Quite enthusiastic". I salute you! I fully agree with you Kemp. George knows he's shite.

                        Best LOLage I've had in a while.



                        Screw dat. Lonesome George kicks ass!!!! Its rock & roll & blues, simple & ballsy is good: John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley!!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                          I disagree. Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were before Mick joined The Stones and contain some of their best songs.

                          I have seen them more times that I can remember. They are still a lot of fun to go see but musically they are decades past their prime. It will be kind of surreal seeing them blocks away at The Fest. I thought the same about seeing Springsteen there.
                          Those are probably my 2 favorite Stones albums... masterpieces!
                          Agree with the whole post!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by peteup View Post
                            I've only seen The Stones once, back in '73 when Mick Taylor was on lead (pre Ronnie). It's amongst the top 10 shows I have ever seen (mind you, I have 50 or 60 in my top ten , it's flexible ) and there is no way on earth they will ever again top that show.
                            I wish I had seen them back then..... couldn't get a ticket for their show with BB (?) Ike & Tina (?) around that time (69?).... shit

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                              83 was not a good time for The Stones. Mick and Keith weren't speaking to each other. Bobby Keyes, Keith's best friend, was so dysfunctional that Mick and Keith ushered his drunk ass out to a taxi and sent him on his way then quickly hired Ernie Watts who was not too familiar with the music. Ron Wood, with a serious freebasing habit, was not too far behind Keyes and perilously close to the same fate. I saw that tour as well as I have five others and it was not their best. I've seen Thorogood many times including his opening slot with The Stones and, in my opinion, while he can be quite enthusiastic in performance, he is not in the same category as The Stones, and I think he would also tell you that.
                              Excuses, excuses, excuses.....OF COURSE Stones body of work surpasses Lonesome George over time. He's not as creative, mostly does covers. They created a whole new genre of blues/rock, & i'm sure he'd agree too. But George kicks ass, on any given night he can blow them away, which he did at that show. Yea, it could have been 81... who knows, who cares?
                              Rock & roll is essentially simple stuff.... George is no BS, does it up right
                              By that time, Stones were "show biz"......

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by revjimk View Post

                                Excuses, excuses, excuses.....OF COURSE Stones body of work surpasses Lonesome George over time. He's not as creative, mostly does covers. They created a whole new genre of blues/rock, & i'm sure he'd agree too. But George kicks ass, on any given night he can blow them away, which he did at that show. Yea, it could have been 81... who knows, who cares?
                                Rock & roll is essentially simple stuff.... George is no BS, does it up right
                                By that time, Stones were "show biz"......
                                Anyone who gets paid for performing on a stage is "show biz".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X