Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones headlining Thursday

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

    Considering Karl Denson's image was projected onto the Jumbotron video screens for a grand total of MAYBE 45 seconds over an entire 2 1/2 hour show in Warsaw last summer, I'd likely say, "Not too much..."

    Seriously, the music had been playing for well over an hour until they first briefly showed a perhaps 10 second glancing shot of KD (or any of the backing players except for maybe 30 seconds of Chuck Leavell)

    One can't help but notice that good ol' Sir Mick is in at least 90% of all video footage, either alone or in frame with various bandmates. The cameras are basically NEVER off of him. Brief, grudging flashes of Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, (usually with Mick also in the shot, naturally) but a Rolling Stones show in 2019 is ALL ABOUT Mick Jagger and his giant fucking ego...
    Karl Denson is just a hired hand after Bobby Keys passed away. Denson is good but Bobby is really missed.

    Comment


    • Speaking of, that Bobby Keys doc is great

      AXS was playing it not long ago, worth the watch.



      Comment


      • I am waiting for it to come back around...I only saw the last 30min or so...what I did see was very good..."It's Saturday Night!"

        Comment


        • New Orleans is ready for another British invasion!

          Let's just hope for the sake of Mick and the boys that this one goes better than the last time the British tried to invade New Orleans.

          Comment


          • So I got my ticket. I'd love to see more of the musicians on the bill, but I know next to nothing about them. Who should I go and see that day? Thanks

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lonewolf32 View Post
              So I got my ticket. I'd love to see more of the musicians on the bill, but I know next to nothing about them. Who should I go and see that day? Thanks
              Ah, the chance to pontificate!!! If you've never been to the festival at all, make sure you spend a little time (at least) in the gospel tent. Alex McMurray is a brilliant songwriter with band, he also is 1/3 of the Tin Men (new orleans most in demand washboard, sousaphone, guitar trio), Marc Braud and Nick Payton are masters of trad and modern jazz respectively, Anders osborne is a great songwriter who live goes into kozmic blues mode more often than not, big sam leads a horn heavy funk band, while dumpstaphunk relies more on organ guitar drums for the funk of it. And if you've never been before, eat a lot of foods that sound weird as all hell (pheasant quail andouille gumbo is a mighty fine thing)

              also, offbeat magazine is distributed free outside of fest, it will have a map, a schedule, and a brief description of every artist playing
              Last edited by HankAndLeeStamper; 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot jazzfest bible

              Comment


              • It's a really great lineup that day. If you've never been to the jazzfest, there are 12 stages, not counting the interview stage and cooking demo stage. When the cubes come out one month before the fest, you can see who is where when.
                I would do a walkabout. I love to do this and get a taste of a bunch of stages. Here's how I go: When you're looking at the jazz and heritage stage, go to the left behind the row of food booths. After a short walk you will be at Economy. Next go farther left to visit the kids tent. Or go across the track behind economy to the grandstand. There you will find the Lagniappe stage in the paddock area. With chairs. There are real bathrooms with long lines, exhibits and upstairs, the interview stage. when you come out of the grandstand go left and walk by the wwoz brass pass tent. Unless you have a brass pass. If you do, go in to use the clean porta potties and have some water or iced coffee and fruit. Free with the pass. Keep walking and next will be the gospel tent. AFter you get your gospel, cross over to the blues tent and view so art on your way. You can keep going to the jazz tent. Or you can come out of blues, go through the arch and cross the track back to jazz and heritage. So much music. So little time! The only stages you haven't seen at this point are Congo, Fais do do and Gentilly. And Acura where the Stones will be. Here's a little more info I posted elsewhere: Hi, jazzfest virgins! To add on, at Fais do do you will get the cajun and zydeco experience for the most part. At Econmy Hall, traditional jazz rules. Economy has seats and a dance area off to the side. Secondline dancing during the music is a thing at that tent. Blues, gospel, jazz and lagniappe also have chairs.

                Comment


                • IN addition to what hankandlee said, I love the Pocket Aces Brass Band, Rising Star Drum and Fife Band and Mavis Staples is a do not miss. I saw her at a little festival in Arkansas last August and she was amazing. Completely inspiring. The best thing I saw all year. If I go on Stones Thursday, it will be because of her.

                  Comment


                  • One more thing, Anders and Dumpstaphunk would be do not miss on that day also. And Alex if I could make it work. HandL mentioned the food-you can see the food lists from last year which will hardly change for this year by finding the food tab on the home page. That's half the fun at the jazzfest!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                      IN addition to what hankandlee said, I love the Pocket Aces Brass Band, Rising Star Drum and Fife Band and Mavis Staples is a do not miss. I saw her at a little festival in Arkansas last August and she was amazing. Completely inspiring. The best thing I saw all year. If I go on Stones Thursday, it will be because of her.
                      No doubt on Mavis. Also catch some mardi gras indians. It's hard to find a genuinely "bad" act out there, even at 11am. I love mavis too FJ, but I kinda figured that loneworf was exaggerating just a little, and that tom jones, mavis, rita coolidge and ziggy marley kinda went without saying, though maybe not. saw mavis on a double bill with joan osborne at the manship theater in BR a few years back. so great...... and a GREAT venue for that kind of show.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                        One more thing, Anders and Dumpstaphunk would be do not miss on that day also. And Alex if I could make it work. HandL mentioned the food-you can see the food lists from last year which will hardly change for this year by finding the food tab on the home page. That's half the fun at the jazzfest!
                        If you want to see Anders and Samatha Fish - you can relieve some FOMs and buy a ticket for Wednesday at Shaggy's NOLA Crawfish Festival - they are both on the bill for that if you're getting in to town on Wednesday before 5-6PM

                        That is what I try to do when mapping out my time at the Fairgrounds - I look at the night show list and buy tickets and use that as the opportunity to see an act and then go see the other act that is playing across from them at the fairgrounds. Having said that Anders brings it every time and it's hard to pass up any time he is playing.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by McGregor View Post
                          Speaking of, that Bobby Keys doc is great

                          AXS was playing it not long ago, worth the watch.



                          This was a killer Doc. Quite the look into what made this guy tick. The last solo with Joe Ely was incredible. The new doc on Showtime of Jeff Beck is off the hook tremendous.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by netdrew View Post

                            If you want to see Anders and Samatha Fish - you can relieve some FOMs and buy a ticket for Wednesday at Shaggy's NOLA Crawfish Festival - they are both on the bill for that if you're getting in to town on Wednesday before 5-6PM

                            That is what I try to do when mapping out my time at the Fairgrounds - I look at the night show list and buy tickets and use that as the opportunity to see an act and then go see the other act that is playing across from them at the fairgrounds. Having said that Anders brings it every time and it's hard to pass up any time he is playing.
                            YYR, netdrew. I already have Crawfish FEst tickets for all 3 days, even though I'll be at the patry on Tuesday. #overkill

                            Comment


                            • Wow. Ok. A lot to take in. Iíll try to be there as soon as the gates open. Much appreciated . Looking forward to it!

                              Comment


                              • Just to add to your brain overload: There are 3 gates to enter. Folks start gathering early. Across from the Gentilly gate is the Seahorse. Some folks get a drink there before getting in line. Remember you're in nola so you can carry your alcoholic beverage around with you, just not in glass. Although you can't take a drink into the fest. But you can take a couple bottles of unopened water. A few blocks from Sauvage gate is Liuzza's by the Track, a favorite gathering place of the folks here aka Threadheads. They have great bloodies. The neighborhood folks are selling things as you walk to the gates-water for a dollar, hats, umbrellas. There will also be someone offering you an offbeat magazine-the jazzfest bible issue. Take it. It's free and there will be tons of info about the goings on.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X