X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuggernuts
    started a topic Rolling Stones headlining Thursday

Rolling Stones headlining Thursday

Heard it here first. Going to be a shit show.

• larrybalmur
    replied
    I think Anders should invite KArl Denson's band up on stones Thursday and do the Sticky Fingers complete LP set they threw down a few years ago. Might get Karl chucked from the band though.

Leave a comment:

• tuggernuts
    replied
    This thread aged well

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied
    Originally posted by freebo View Post
    I don't know if everybody's in Show Biz. . . . . but I do like the title of Bobby Key's autobiography...

Which, if ya ain't heard it (or read it) yet, there IS a second part. Here's the whole thang: "Every night's a Saturday night, and every day's a Sunday." . . .

Amen.
    I really want to read that. I was mainly thinking of the '72 Kinks album of the same name. One of my all time favorites.

Leave a comment:

• freebo
    replied
    I don't know if everybody's in Show Biz. . . . . but I do like the title of Bobby Key's autobiography...

Which, if ya ain't heard it (or read it) yet, there IS a second part. Here's the whole thang: "Every night's a Saturday night, and every day's a Sunday." . . .

Amen.

Leave a comment:

• revjimk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Everybody's in Show Biz!
    We obviously are using a different definition of "show biz". No sense quibbling about it

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Close... Sam Butera. I must have had Dave Bartholomew on my mind
    I saw Sam Butera open for Van Morrison in SF back in 1999. It was a fun show. Van sang a couple of songs with Sam's band.

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied

Everybody's in Show Biz!

Leave a comment:

• revjimk
    replied
    Once again, being an entertainer is NOT what I mean by "show biz". I'm talking about the hype & glitz, stuff not intrinsically related to musical performance
    Its not a precise term
    I fergit the name of Louis Prima's band (maybe Dave Butera?) who played JF a few years back. Pure Vegas goombahs, with corny jokes & all. I loved them.... for the music

Leave a comment:

• revjimk
    replied
    Once again, being an entertainer is NOT what I mean by "show biz". I'm talking about the hype & glitz, stuff not intrinsically related to musical performance
    Its not a precise term
    I fergit the name of Louis Prima's band (maybe Dave Butera?) who played JF a few years back. Pure Vegas goombahs, with corny jokes & all. I loved them.... for the music

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    B.B. King may not be considered "show biz' but he was definitely an entertainer and he embraced it. He loved to work a crowd.

Leave a comment:

• Marignygregg
    replied

Thats ridiculous. He just stood there, played & sang
    Ike & Tina Turner Revue REALLY worked the crowd. One of the best live shows i ever saw!
    Putting on a great show is NOT what I mean by "show biz"
    Why are you hassling me? You're arguing semantics about the term "show biz". Give it a rest....
    Maybe he was referring to the other BB. Beatle Bob.

Leave a comment:

• revjimk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemp View Post

"BB made it to the semi big time, but his appeal was based purely on the music"

BB was as big a ham as ever took the stage. He loved working the crowd. Musical appeal and show biz know how.
    Thats ridiculous. He just stood there, played & sang
    Ike & Tina Turner Revue REALLY worked the crowd. One of the best live shows i ever saw!
    Putting on a great show is NOT what I mean by "show biz"
    Why are you hassling me? You're arguing semantics about the term "show biz". Give it a rest....

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied

BB made it to the semi big time, but his appeal was based purely on the music, not the hype
    Its NOT musical preference! You're taking it too literally, I'm pretty sure you understand what I'm talking about: Super Bowl Halftime show is the ultimate example of "show biz": costumes, big production number with lots of dancers, lights, fireworks, special effects: "GLITZ"
    An example of "non show biz" would be James Booker playing for free weeknights at the Maple Leaf in the good ole days, maybe the best piano player alive, you could do your laundry in the back & hear musical genius at the same time
    I really think you're playing Devil's Advocate here. You know damn well what i mean, its not a precise term, & of course there is plenty of grey area
    "BB made it to the semi big time, but his appeal was based purely on the music"

BB was as big a ham as ever took the stage. He loved working the crowd. Musical appeal and show biz know how.

Leave a comment:

• Kemp
    replied
    NRBQ isn't "show biz" either. As Bonnie Raitt said, "world's best bar band" (tho I don't really agree)
    NRBQ are proudly in show biz and don't really like being considered only a "bar band". As Terry Adams said, "We're world famous except a lot of people don't know it yet". Also from Bonnie Raitt, "I love the Rolling Stones, but NRBQ are the best rock and roll band ever."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X