Other Festivals 2019!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by belyin View Post

As a New Orleanian, I am in awe of this festival (although I have never been.) I will note that several of these artists have played in New Orleans, mostly through the work of a small grass roots cohort and the good will of the artists who all want to come to New Orleans despite the near complete lack of institutional support. Tim Berne, for instance, was here last month. I saw him at the Sidebar with Aurora Nealand and James Singleton in front of 20 people. And now the word is that Aurora will be joining a set with Berne and Bill Frissell at Big Ears.

Imagine if our festifval programmers combined this kind of forward thinking programming with our vast local musical offerings—now that would be sonething that really honored “jazz and heritage” rather than the Vegas retreads they waste their money on.
    Since I have this on my radar for March this year and my eyes popped out of my head in excitement over it- I just wanted to say that I agree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
      Peach Festival is winning 2019 so far. https://www.jambase.com/article/the-...al-2019-lineup
      Damn, that is a fantastic lineup!

Comment

• Sea.Hear.Now festival in Asbury Park, NJ started selling early bird tickets last weekend, no lineup. This will be the 2nd year. We had such a good time last year we grabbed them. Good thing we did, because they have gone up in price twice since then. Headliners were announced on Monday (Dave Matthews & the Lumineers, eh). The rest of the lineup will be announced in the spring. Hopefully it will be good! https://www.seahearnowfestival.com/ Come join us on the beach.

Comment

• t bois blues fest lineup

http://www.tboisblues.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
            t bois blues fest lineup

http://www.tboisblues.com/
            Did you get a ticket, Fred? I was busy that morning. They sold out in 10 minutes!

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
              The full lineup and stage schedule is here. A few of the bands have multiple sets.
              http://www.crawfishfest.com/schedule.html
              Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

Did you get a ticket, Fred? I was busy that morning. They sold out in 10 minutes!
                Well, we did not know tickets went on sale. Oh well, maybe next year.

Comment

• The Folk Alliance International Conference will be in New Orleans next year. Jan 22-26 2020

https://folkconference.org/nola/

Comment

• The Instigation Festival, a collaboration of Chicago and New Orleans musicians and dancers, returns to New Orleans for the fourth year next week. (There is also an annual Chicago iteration in September!) This year's visitors include Ken Vandermark (former MacArthur "genius" award winner,) Joe McPhee (stalwart avant-garde saxophonist and trumpeter,) Mars Williams (leader of Liquid Soul, saxophonist in Psychedelic Furs and the Waitresses!) and drummer/percussionist supreme Hamid Drake (perennial DownBeat poll winner and collaborator with major jazz figures Herbie Hancock, Archie Shepp, Yusef Lateef, Pharoah Sanders, Bill Laswell, Dave Liebman, and Don Cherry as well as Kidd Jordan, William Parker, and practically everyone in the creative music world.) Needless to say, none of these artist are playing Jazz Fest, and only Hamid has played in the past (it's been 11 years since he appeared with Rob Wagner's Trio, who get "rejected" every year since.) Local participants include Helen Gillet, James Singleton, Aurora Nealand, Rob Wagner and choreographer Shannon Stewart.

Comment

The Instigation Festival, a collaboration of Chicago and New Orleans musicians and dancers, returns to New Orleans for the fourth year next week. (There is also an annual Chicago iteration in September!) This year's visitors include Ken Vandermark (former MacArthur "genius" award winner,) Joe McPhee (stalwart avant-garde saxophonist and trumpeter,) Mars Williams (leader of Liquid Soul, saxophonist in Psychedelic Furs and the Waitresses!) and drummer/percussionist supreme Hamid Drake (perennial DownBeat poll winner and collaborator with major jazz figures Herbie Hancock, Archie Shepp, Yusef Lateef, Pharoah Sanders, Bill Laswell, Dave Liebman, and Don Cherry as well as Kidd Jordan, William Parker, and practically everyone in the creative music world.) Needless to say, none of these artist are playing Jazz Fest, and only Hamid has played in the past (it's been 11 years since he appeared with Rob Wagner's Trio, who get "rejected" every year since.) Local participants include Helen Gillet, James Singleton, Aurora Nealand, Rob Wagner and choreographer Shannon Stewart.
                      I’m so glad you post this kind of stuff. I really enjoy this kind of experimental jazz, especially live, and yet so often find myself at Chickie, Leaf, Tips with what is honestly very mainstream music (good as it may be!!). I caught Hamid Drake at sidebar last year thanks to you and have put it on my calendar for tomorrow night, though Monday nights there’s always a good excuse to stay home, I’m going to try to get out there.

Comment

• Belyin, my thank you to you is still unapproved for some reason. Please keep posting this stuff, it doesn't always get me to the show, but sometimes it does, and that counts.

Comment

• What HLS said. I caught the Drake/Wagner show at Hi Ho a few years back on your recommendation. Thank you !!

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I’m so glad you post this kind of stuff. I really enjoy this kind of experimental jazz, especially live, and yet so often find myself at Chickie, Leaf, Tips with what is honestly very mainstream music (good as it may be!!). I caught Hamid Drake at sidebar last year thanks to you and have put it on my calendar for tomorrow night, though Monday nights there’s always a good excuse to stay home, I’m going to try to get out there.
                            Thank you and Greg for your kind comments. To be clear, the Instigation Festival begins NEXT week Monday Feb. 11 (not tonight) at the SideBar and continues through Fri. Feb. 15.

Hamid Drake is really an artist who transcends all labels, and he should be more widely heard in New Orleans and not shunted off to some “alternative” ghetto—but such is the cultural politics of New Orleans!

Comment

Thank you and Greg for your kind comments. To be clear, the Instigation Festival begins NEXT week Monday Feb. 11 (not tonight) at the SideBar and continues through Fri. Feb. 15.

Hamid Drake is really an artist who transcends all labels, and he should be more widely heard in New Orleans and not shunted off to some “alternative” ghetto—but such is the cultural politics of New Orleans!
                              Thanks for clarifying, though it was really my own fault, I followed the link to the webpage from your post, and it says 2/11 and somehow thought it was this week, not next. In mildly good news, the sidebar show where i first saw Hamid Drake was full to the brim (though its a very small space) and had people listening from the street and peering in the window.
                              It wasn't until the day of the show that i learned the Naked Orchestra regrouped for a live show recently, and I was already committed out of it, but I do enjoy stretching my own musical-taste boundaries when able. With a week's notice the Sidebar show has now become a lot more likely for me.

Comment

• Big Ears cubes:
                                https://bigearsfestival.org/schedule...oupings/friday

Comment

Working...
                                X