Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazzfest Grids 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I haven't said so lately (I actually haven't said much of anything lately), let me thank the gridders for their excellent work this year! As a crowd-sourced effort, y'all did pretty impressive work - I couldn't help but think of this year's grids when I clicked onto the Offbeat night shows site... http://www.offbeat.com/offbeat-2019-...t-night-shows/

    Comment


    • Woodenhead at Checkpoint Charlie, 4/28. Their Fest week shows are always a treat.

      Comment


      • I did my own grid of popular venues with gaps in the grids still, and came up with this (plus, I remember hearing somewhere that a 3rd music box show may be added?):
        Venue Weekend 1 free Weekend 2 free
        Blue Nile 2 1
        Chickie Wa Wa 2 1
        Civic 3 1
        Fillmore 2 2
        Gasa 3 2
        Howlin Wolf 2 0
        Joy 2 0
        Little Gem 2 1
        One Eyed Jacks 0 1
        Orpheum 2 1
        Saenger 2 2
        The qty represents how many days each weekend, that venue still has nothing announced. I know some venues do not have shows all 8 nights of both weekends combined, but is it normal that this many days and venues are unannounced now that we are 6 weeks out? Or do the grids usually fill up fully closer to early April?

        Comment


        • If I remember correctly, The big theaters (Orpheup, Saenger) don't have shows all nights, but the other clubs will fill up - many will double and triple up (Maple leaf, Tips, dba, etc)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bRETT View Post
            Woodenhead at Checkpoint Charlie, 4/28. Their Fest week shows are always a treat.
            I'll be there. The complete opposite of over priced, under rehearsed jam bands that infest the jazz fest grids. ( free and they are tight as hell ).

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bRETT View Post
              Woodenhead at Checkpoint Charlie, 4/28. Their Fest week shows are always a treat.
              A gig I will be at every year, no matter who is playing against them - I loved seeing them at Carrollton Station in years gone by, but the last few years, seeing them at Checkpoint's has been amusing as people walk in off the street, have their minds blown by the musicianship (especially Jimmy Robinson), but aren't quite sure how to treat them - rock gods seem right given the guitar work, but so does experimental jazz given everything else happening at once. They usually stay for two songs, as demonstrably into it as fans at a Bon Jovi concert, but leave seemingly overstimulated and confused. In any case, they are one of my favorite all-time bands from New Orleans. If you haven't seen them live, be sure to catch them - they are all incredible musicians, playing intricate songs masterfully. Some times I close my eyes at their gigs and see amazing fireworks in my mind (mostly red, yellow and blue) - give it a try.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post


                Ooh! I haven't seen them for over twenty years.
                Michael Ray is awesome! Does anyone remember their show opening up for MMW at the CAC in 1998 or 1999?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by satisfiedsf View Post

                  Here are several updates for Bayou Rendezvous:

                  Theresa Andersson and June Yamagishi have been added to the Papa Plays the Nite Tripper set!

                  EMT - Eric McFadden Trio is reuniting for an exclusive Jazz Fest set featuring James Whiton (Tom Waits) and Paulo Baldi (Les Claypool, Cake)!

                  Ivan Neville has been added as a special guest with Dr. Klaw!

                  Eric McFadden and Brendon "Taz" Niederauer are this year's Artists at Large. Eric will be there all night and Taz will be there late night!

                  The Den set times have changed to the following:
                  10:00 PM EMT - Eric McFadden Trio
                  12:00 AM Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio
                  2:30 AM TBA
                  5:00 AM TBA
                  7:00 AM Sunrise Breakfast Jam

                  And there are still more announcements to come!
                  Here are more updates for Bayou Rendezvous!

                  Special Guests have been added to the Andy Frasco set:

                  Andy Frasco and the U.N.
                  Late Night Blowout with Special Guests:
                  Roosevelt Collier (The Lee Boys)
                  George Gekas (The Revivalists)
                  Joey Porter (The Motet)
                  Ryan Jalbert (The Motet) & More!

                  Mungion will be playing starting at 2:30 in the Den. They are a virtuosic prog quartet from Chicago steeped with ambitious compositions and improvisational abilities. Check them out: https://mungion.com/media/

                  Neal Francis (formerly of the Heard) will be playng in the 5AM Den slot. Neal is about to release his first solo album and it is awesome. Check out his first single: https://www.nealfrancis.com/video

                  Brooker D. & The Mellow Fellows will be returning as the Core band for the Sunrise Breakfast Jam w/ guests.

                  And last but not least, Lyrics Born will be sitting in as a special guest with Good Enough For Good Times!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jordan View Post

                    A gig I will be at every year, no matter who is playing against them - I loved seeing them at Carrollton Station in years gone by, but the last few years, seeing them at Checkpoint's has been amusing as people walk in off the street, have their minds blown by the musicianship (especially Jimmy Robinson), but aren't quite sure how to treat them - rock gods seem right given the guitar work, but so does experimental jazz given everything else happening at once. They usually stay for two songs, as demonstrably into it as fans at a Bon Jovi concert, but leave seemingly overstimulated and confused. In any case, they are one of my favorite all-time bands from New Orleans. If you haven't seen them live, be sure to catch them - they are all incredible musicians, playing intricate songs masterfully. Some times I close my eyes at their gigs and see amazing fireworks in my mind (mostly red, yellow and blue) - give it a try.
                    Completely agree with this. The first time I saw them my mind was blown and my jaw was on the ground. They are incredible. See y’’all there.

                    Comment


                    • JazzFest Shabbat
                      Lost Bayou Ramblers w/ Aurora Nealand + Panorama JazzBand
                      Apr 26
                      Free

                      https://tourosynagogue.com/events/jazzfestshabbat/

                      Comment


                      • For the Gridders: Break science should be late night on Saturday, not Sunday at One Eyed Jacks

                        Comment


                        • Mdou Moctar
                          April 29
                          Santos Bar

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Wombat View Post
                            JazzFest Shabbat
                            Lost Bayou Ramblers w/ Aurora Nealand + Panorama JazzBand
                            Apr 26
                            Free

                            https://tourosynagogue.com/events/jazzfestshabbat/
                            This could be pretty great.

                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by frijoless View Post
                              Mdou Moctar
                              April 29
                              Santos Bar
                              Boom!! Now, that's what I'm talking about.

                              Comment


                              • Midnight North
                                Gasa Gasa
                                Apr 28

                                http://www.ticketfly.com/event/18410...h-new-orleans/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X