Gordon Ramsey strikes in New Orleans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Ramsey strikes in New Orleans

Watching the season two premiere tonight of 24 Hours to Hell in which the famed chef remakes The Trolley Stop Cafe on St. Charles. Anyone been there since the renovation last fall? Lots of articles commenting on the changes in decorations and severely pared back menu. Hell's season one finale covered a remade Sacramento restaurant, and changes to its menu didn't last the weekend although they kept the new decor and got a clean kitchen out of the deal.

Not sure Ramsey knows much about traditional New Orleans food. Will have to try the Trolley Stop sooner rather than later.

Not sure why anyone would watch that crap. And I've been in the restaurant biz for over 40 years but no way I'd watch that jerk nor would I have any desire to eat in place with all of the great food in this city..

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
      Not sure why anyone would watch that crap. And I've been in the restaurant biz for over 40 years but no way I'd watch that jerk nor would I have any desire to eat in place with all of the great food in this city..
      I couldn’t agree more. I have been a pastry chef for over 35 years & own my own bakery. I would throw him & his attitude out the door!

Comment

Ha!...which one is Gordon Ramsey?

I have not been in a few years, but I always liked the Trolley Stop for late night breakfast...so breakfast is the only thing I have ever eaten there...

Comment

Reality TV restaurant shows continue - Red's Chinese on St. Claude will be featured on Triple D tonight (Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives). There's a viewing party at the restaurant at 8 pm tonight. We love Red's and although it's obviously not a drive-in, I'm not sure I'd consider it a diner or a dive. Looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post
            Reality TV restaurant shows continue - Red's Chinese on St. Claude will be featured on Triple D tonight (Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives). There's a viewing party at the restaurant at 8 pm tonight. We love Red's and although it's obviously not a drive-in, I'm not sure I'd consider it a diner or a dive. Looking forward to this.
            Turkey and the Wolf was featured on the same show just one week ago, although I didn't see it.

I'm not sure how Gordon Ramsey can continue doing what he does now that we live in a more hypersensitive world. There have already been a number of incidents in the culinary industry that have changed the way kitchens are run, particularly regarding the verbal abuse of staff. New Orleans chefs have actually been on the forefront of trying to create more equitable and sensitive workspaces.

Comment

Guy was at Blue Oak last week-ish. Not sure if it was part of his show, or if he was just grabbing a bite.

Comment

I didn't see it, but Marjie's Grill was on DDD a week ago.

It looks like DDD has now been to 17 spots in the New Orleans metro area.
                https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...ives/louisiana
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I watched the show and the kitchen was disgusting. The Trolley Stop Cafe had to of asked him in, and by the looks of it it did need help. They got a cleaning and make over out of it, and some pub.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                    I didn't see it, but Marjie's Grill was on DDD a week ago.

It looks like DDD has now been to 17 spots in the New Orleans metro area.
                    https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...ives/louisiana
                    Good link! I saw episodes where he visited Casamento's and the Joint. I often bookmark the places he visits to try if I'm not familiar with them already because they always look so good.

Comment

The Old Coffee Pot restaurant next to Pat O's closed after 125 years. It got slammed on the show. I wonder if old Gordon drove the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment/2...w-orleans.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        The Old Coffee Pot restaurant next to Pat O's closed after 125 years. It got slammed on the show. I wonder if old Gordon drove the final nail in the coffin.

Gosh, I hope not. Gordon Ramsey...not a fan.

However, I hear Guy Fieri visited Avery's on Tulane. Love that place!
                        Last edited by cp_deb; 02-15-2019, 06:51 PM. Reason: Booboos

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

We only ate there once, several years ago, and it was pretty awful then.....

Comment

Gosh, I hope not. Gordon Ramsey...not a fan.

However, I hear Guy Fieri visited Avery's on Tulane. Love that place!
                            Guy also visited Red's Chinese-that episode has already aired. But on March 1, the Mardi Gras episode will feature Avery's, Seither's Seafood and from the description, I'm guessing Piece of Meat. Get em while you can, folks! Good for the owners. Bad for their original patrons.

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

We only ate there once, several years ago, and it was pretty awful then.....
                              The first place my son ate seafood. Fried catfish. We told him it was chicken nuggets like in a 'happy meal'. Terrible, I know.....

Any restaurant that has been around 125 years is going to have peaks and valleys. Maybe the mouse in the toaster added flavor ? Anyway....sad to see it go after 125 years. Other than the old timers ( Tujagues, Antoines, Gallatois, Arnaud's ) what else has been around for a century or more ??

Comment

Working...
                              X