No announcement yet.

jazzfest/AEG finances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiz Khalifa and Currensy would both draw people, but I think the question for FPI is whether they would draw enough people willing to pony up the $85 to warrant the kind of money it would take to get them to the fest. I think it would. At some point AEG will have a larger say so in the bookings, perhaps we may see more hip hop acts at fest at that point. Perhaps not.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
      Speaking of “non-profits”, being an older individual whose business life predates their ubiquitousness, I have often wondered, since they go by the label and proclaim to be a “nonprofit” entity, does that mean that the executives and management are volunteers and decline a salery or is this just a mechanism designed to avoid paying taxes?
      The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation is a non-profit.

Festival Productions and AEG are both for-profit companies that produce the festival, a portion of whose profits benefits the Foundation. In turn, the Foundation uses its funds to produce cultural events in the city, including Blues & BBQ and the Treme Gumbo Festival.

Non-profits are all organized differently, but usually, once they get to a certain size (budget level), there are some employees who earn a salary. In the case of WWOZ, which I believe is a non-profit subsidiary of the Foundation, the General Manager and certain members of the administrative staff earn salaries while the DJs are volunteers.

Typically, non-profits are not in the business of making money. Ideally, they earn revenue, which is eventually spent on some sort of projects that often arguably benefit a community. Registered 501(c)3 non-profits accept donations, which are tax-deductible, although I'm not sure how relevant that still is after last year's changes to the tax code have significantly reduced itemizing for most people. I don't know how the Foundation's board is organized, but it's not unusual for non-profit board members to have a "give or get number," which is a specific amount of money they are responsible for raising whether through the donations of friends, family, and associates or through their own donations. Non-profits are also eligible for both public and private grants, although it's not clear if the Foundation has been awarded any of those.

It seems as though executive compensation in 2016 was around $271, 000. I don't know how many people that number if split by, but my guess is three at the most. It's not unusual for an executive at a non-profit with a substantial revenue stream to command a six-figure salary. In fact, if that $271,000 figure is split amongst multiple people, that number would seem a bit low for an organization with $40 million+ in annual revenue. In that business, you get what you pay for.
      Last edited by groovy1967; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

It seems as though executive compensation in 2016 was around $271, 000. I don't know how many people that number if split by, but my guess is three at the most. It's not unusual for an executive at a non-profit with a substantial revenue stream to command a six-figure salary. In fact, if that $271,000 figure is split amongst multiple people, that number would seem a bit low for an organization with $40 million+ in annual revenue. In that business, you get what you pay for.
        The 2016 990 reports Executive Director Don Marshall was paid $133,000.
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Jazzfest is not Coachella, or Bonnaroo, or any other big music festival....It's Jazzfest. Everyone should realize that New Orleans has other big festivals that feature specific types of music. There's Voodoo Fest in October that features acts that are more popular with the under 40 crowd. There's Essence Fest in July that features a predominantly black lineup. And there's the Bayou Country Superfest in May that is all top country artists. I like Jazzfest as it is...don't go changin'.

Comment

Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post
            Jazzfest is not Coachella, or Bonnaroo, or any other big music festival....It's Jazzfest. Everyone should realize that New Orleans has other big festivals that feature specific types of music. There's Voodoo Fest in October that features acts that are more popular with the under 40 crowd. There's Essence Fest in July that features a predominantly black lineup. And there's the Bayou Country Superfest in May that is all top country artists. I like Jazzfest as it is...don't go changin'.
            I tend to agree. It’s a choice and you have others.
            If you don’t like guns don’t buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post
              FYI, Bayou Country Superfest is moving back to Baton Rouge this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                Speaking of “non-profits”, being an older individual whose business life predates their ubiquitousness, I have often wondered, since they go by the label and proclaim to be a “nonprofit” entity, does that mean that the executives and management are volunteers and decline a salery or is this just a mechanism designed to avoid paying taxes?
                I've worked for (salaried employee) and volunteered for many many nonprofits in my adult life. I'll also add that, to be a nonprofit, you have to apply to and be approved by the IRS and demonstrate that your business is for the benefit of the community (can be local or national). You can't simply start a business and say "I'm a nonprofit!". Yes, 501c3 nonprofits are exempt from federal and state income taxes, but they do pay other taxes, such as payroll taxes if they have paid staff, and property tax if they own taxable property. Property tax requirements and rates can vary by state and region, since that's a local thing.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Where'd that list come from? How did Diddy make the list? Is he still a thing...or is this from a lot of behind-the-scenes production work...or some reality TV crap...or some fashion industry or other business venture? I don't believe he still performs live, which is where artists make almost all of their money today. If you're in the top 20 for music-only income, it's gotta be mostly from live gigs unless you're Dr. Luke or Max Martin. Diddy's website doesn't even have a tab for touring/live shows. It's mostly a bunch of vlogs and promos for his products.
                  It's from Forbes (link attached), but good point. The top 25 grossing touring acts of 2018, from Pollstar:

1. Ed Sheeran
                  2. Taylor Swift
                  3. Jay-Z and Beyonce
                  4. Pink
                  5. Bruno Mars
                  6. Eagles
                  7. Justin Timberlake
                  8. Roger Waters
                  9. U2
                  10. Rolling Stones
                  11. Kenny Chesney
                  12. Journey / Def Leppard
                  13. Springsteen on Broadway
                  14. Foo Fighters
                  15. Sam Smith
                  16. Guns n Roses
                  17. Drake
                  18. Helene Fischer
                  19. Phil Collins
                  20. Depeche Mode
                  21. Luke Bryan
                  22. Billy Joel
                  23. Imagine Dragons
                  24. Metallica
                  25. Celine Dion

For the complete top 100 list:
                  https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...eTours_697.pdf

U2's recent Joshua Tree Tour—celebrating the 30th anniversary of the album—grossed $316 million, as some 2.7 million fans turned out to make it last year's most lucrative outing. That, along with a new tour and album, helped make the Irishmen the world's highest-paid music act yet again.

Comment

Do you still qualify as a touring act is you play all your concerts in the same venue? (Celine Dion)

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                      Wait we’re going with his lyrics that kept him from the Fest? Holy shit, let me sit down. Lol.
                      Michael, unless you are at a standing desk, you should always be sitting down when you type. Sitting while typing promotes good posture and reduces your exposure to carpal tunnel syndrome and scapular injuries. Walking while typing may expose you to an accidental impaling at the end of a bayonet.

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                      There’s a huge bias against hip hop at the fest, even though there is a great local tradition. I’d image it’s part of the “heritage.” And we all know why it’s heavily omitted, Jesus, just admit it. Lol. White boomers are terrified of it. It’s okay, Glen Frey’s kid is playing with the Eagles now. Take it easy...
                      Now Michael, you really need to stop laughing out loud so often. People will think you are less than sane.

Are you suffering from selective memory, willful ignorance, or mere amnesia, Michael? How are you overlooking the number of hip hop acts the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival books annually? Michael, would you describe the New Orleans Hip Hop Experience featuring Fiend, 3D Natee, Cypher, DJ Keith Scott, and Cool Nasty Band as an experience other than hip hop?

Michael, I'm beginning to suspect that you only acknowledge hip hop artists you like. That's a sign of narcissism, Michael, and narcissism can lead to a significant reduction in friends. Michael, in your case, I would be concerned about this calculation: =COUNTIF(A1:Z100,"<0")

Comment

K.I.T.T. is my new favorite poster. Hopefully you won't be 'moderated'. This board functions best when we are allowed to police ourselves.

Comment

As long as there are big crowds at The Fest it will remain the same at it is. If it ain't broken........A majority of my favorite musicians (many who play Jazz) will NEVER play The Jazz Fest but I'm ok with that. I just go see them play elsewhere.

Comment

My argument about the diversity and lack of inclusion doesn’t have to do with my personal listening tastes. If a festival is purporting to celebrate the cultural and heritage of New Orleans it should look and sound like New Orleans.
                            (If it was a matter of jazz fest not offering music that I, myself as an individual, would like to hear then I wouldn’t attend jazz fest and would attend other events.)

Comment

I don't want to go to any festival that would accept me as an attendee.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                                I don't want to go to any festival that would accept me as an attendee.
                                Same with Agnat

Comment

Working...
                                X