jazzfest/AEG finances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
    My argument about the diversity and lack of inclusion doesn’t have to do with my personal listening tastes. If a festival is purporting to celebrate the cultural and heritage of New Orleans it should look and sound like New Orleans.

Comment

My argument about the diversity and lack of inclusion doesn’t have to do with my personal listening tastes. If a festival is purporting to celebrate the cultural and heritage of New Orleans it should look and sound like New Orleans.
      (If it was a matter of jazz fest not offering music that I, myself as an individual, would like to hear then I wouldn’t attend jazz fest and would attend other events.)
      Well, it never has been just about New Orleans. Not even in the beginning. Duke Ellington ? I mean, you would have no Marcia Ball, Bobby Lounge, Sonny Landreth, Beausoleil ( and just about any other Cajun/Zydeco band ). There are worthy applicants waiting in the wings. Alex, Helen Gillet, Morning 40, Malevitus, 007 and so on.

Comment

(If it was a matter of jazz fest not offering music that I, myself as an individual, would like to hear then I wouldn’t attend jazz fest and would attend other events.)
        perhaps French Quarter Fest is the Fest for you...??...I do not study festivals, but from what I do see I do not see how one festival can be more diverse than Jazz Fest...how many stages?...how many acts?...how many are from
        Louisiana and New Orleans?...and or the world...please tell me where to look...please point to that more diverse festival...yes Fest has bigger BNA's than when I first started going...and for someone living where I live I like it...gives me
        a chance to see bands that mostly never play in Louisiana...and if I do not like said BNA I can go to another stage or I can sleep in and take on the night...its all good...its music...its New Orleans...

French Quarter Festivals, Inc. (FQFI) annually produces three festivals: French Quarter Festival, Satchmo SummerFest, and Christmas New Orleans Style. FQFI is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the Vieux Carré and the City of New Orleans through high quality special events and activities that showcase the culture and heritage of this unique city, contribute to the economic well-being of the community, and instill increased pride in the people of New Orleans.

https://frenchquarterfest.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Well, it never has been just about New Orleans. Not even in the beginning. Duke Ellington ? I mean, you would have no Marcia Ball, Bobby Lounge, Sonny Landreth, Beausoleil ( and just about any other Cajun/Zydeco band ). There are worthy applicants waiting in the wings. Alex, Helen Gillet, Morning 40, Malevitus, 007 and so on.
          Not New Orleans, but Louisiana.

In fact, from its inception, the event at the Fairgrounds (and Beauregard Square before that) was called the "Louisiana Heritage Fair". That name wasn't dropped until the mid-2000s. It was always about the music of the whole state - admittedly with a strong tilt towards South Louisiana. The fest still boasts 85%+ acts from Louisiana.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Off all the major festivals in the US, I would think that Jazzfest is the most diverse music wise of any of them. Nobody else has the chance to hear all the different sounds that come from the stages and tents. Cajun, zydeco, Trad Jazz, blues,gospel, modern jazz, rock, soul, R&B, brass bands and more. Granted not as much diversity on the big stages, but the music presented overall is very varied.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
              I don't want to go to any festival that would accept me as an attendee.
              I'm with you, Groucho!

Comment

I’m not arguing that the offerings consist of solely New Orleans artists. I’m arguing that the festival should reflect the city of New Orleans (or the state of Louisiana by extension). I don’t think the festival achieves that by becoming more boring or vanilla.

Comment

If people are claiming that the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival doesn't look and sound like New Orleans, can you tell me which New Orleans performers have been missing...aside from the historic jazz pioneer known as Lil' Wayne?

As has already been covered in this thread, the greats of yesteryear, such as Allen Toussaint, Professor Longhair, Fats Domino, Lee Dorsey, James Booker, etc. are no longer with us. Dr. John, The Meters, The Neville Brothers, etc. can no longer perform. So, with the exception of the smaller artists who forget or choose not to apply, who is missing? Yes, I know there are always a handful of your personal favorites who play in small bars who don't make the cut, but by and large, almost every New Orleans act of note who wants to be at Jazz Fest plays Jazz Fest.

In a festival where 85% of the acts are from Louisiana, let's admit that your real beef is with the 15%. That's what you hate. You hate the fact that Jazz Fest is booking more bands. You really want to see fewer bands. You crave fewer options. You would like less musicians to be employed by this festival, including those locals who wind up backing up an out-of-town performer.

What would make you happy is a smaller festival that employs fewer people, has far fewer attendees, charges less money for tickets, and raises far less money for the Foundation, which diminishes WWOZ's budget and fails to fund free public events, such as the Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival or the Treme Gumbo Festival. You don't care about those events, so they don't matter.

Basically, it's all about you and your needs, but stop pretending you're sticking up for New Orleans artists who don't exist.

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

Holy smokes that’s one hell of a melt. Fich, is he like this in person? Lol.

Groovy never, ever change.
                      Last edited by Quint; 1 week ago.

Comment

Mr. Luke, I suspect you're going to need to step up your attempts at courtship if you want to be successful.

Regardless, which specific New Orleans act(s) are perennially missing from the Jazz Fest lineup? I figure you should address this now before you get distracted by lol-ing over this year's inevitable inclusion of Pitbull.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post

Groovy never, ever change.
                          Keep going, lol. Please, I’m enjoying this. I’m at worst wedding reception in the world.

Comment

And now you're talking to yourself.

Maybe you can ask yourself which New Orleans acts are always missing from Jazz Fest, and then you can answer yourself for all of us to see.

Comment

I’m happily courted. Thought y’all had my personal info? I just like watching her dunk over all y’all.

This time you’ll get the last word. I’m certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                                I just like watching her dunk over all y’all.
                                thanks dude.

lets all get back to arguing about the BNA’s please
                                Last edited by fichadelphia; 1 week ago. Reason: Added note about arguing

Comment

Working...
                                X