jazzfest/AEG finances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quint View Post
    Weird Lilí Wayne who is local and a pretty big act has never been asked to play at the fest. Weird huh? Oh and he has one of the best selling records of the year.

But hey Kid Rock is touring, letís get him!

Its a predominately white event, for a predominantly white out-of-town audience in a predominantly black city. The vast majority of the money and the spotlight goes to out-of-town white acts. Trying to argue otherwise is dumb.

Yíall can have Maze at the Congo Square stage, which took forever , we get Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews, Widespread, the Eagles, Van, etc. on the Festís biggest stage every year.

I mean look at what it took to get Bounce at the Fest and it started here. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to book Big Freedia.

Great fucking piece.
    "Its a predominately white event, for a predominantly white out-of-town audience in a predominantly black city. The vast majority of the money and the spotlight goes to out-of-town white acts. Trying to argue otherwise is dumb."..... BINGO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post

It's from Forbes (link attached), but good point. The top 25 grossing touring acts of 2018, from Pollstar:

1. Ed Sheeran
      2. Taylor Swift
      3. Jay-Z and Beyonce
      4. Pink
      5. Bruno Mars
      6. Eagles
      7. Justin Timberlake
      8. Roger Waters
      9. U2
      10. Rolling Stones
      11. Kenny Chesney
      12. Journey / Def Leppard
      13. Springsteen on Broadway
      14. Foo Fighters
      15. Sam Smith
      16. Guns n Roses
      17. Drake
      18. Helene Fischer
      19. Phil Collins
      20. Depeche Mode
      21. Luke Bryan
      22. Billy Joel
      23. Imagine Dragons
      24. Metallica
      25. Celine Dion

For the complete top 100 list:
      https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...eTours_697.pdf
      Hardly anybody on that list I'd be interested in seeing....

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Same with Agnat
        No personal attacks!
        Are you jealous of her free spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Well, it never has been just about New Orleans. Not even in the beginning. Duke Ellington ? I mean, you would have no Marcia Ball, Bobby Lounge, Sonny Landreth, Beausoleil ( and just about any other Cajun/Zydeco band ). There are worthy applicants waiting in the wings. Alex, Helen Gillet, Morning 40, Malevitus, 007 and so on.
          Splitting hairs.... Louisiana acts & jazz legends are all part of the mix

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
            If people are claiming that the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival doesn't look and sound like New Orleans, can you tell me which New Orleans performers have been missing...aside from the historic jazz pioneer known as Lil' Wayne?

As has already been covered in this thread, the greats of yesteryear, such as Allen Toussaint, Professor Longhair, Fats Domino, Lee Dorsey, James Booker, etc. are no longer with us. Dr. John, The Meters, The Neville Brothers, etc. can no longer perform. So, with the exception of the smaller artists who forget or choose not to apply, who is missing? Yes, I know there are always a handful of your personal favorites who play in small bars who don't make the cut, but by and large, almost every New Orleans act of note who wants to be at Jazz Fest plays Jazz Fest.

In a festival where 85% of the acts are from Louisiana, let's admit that your real beef is with the 15%. That's what you hate. You hate the fact that Jazz Fest is booking more bands. You really want to see fewer bands. You crave fewer options. You would like less musicians to be employed by this festival, including those locals who wind up backing up an out-of-town performer.

What would make you happy is a smaller festival that employs fewer people, has far fewer attendees, charges less money for tickets, and raises far less money for the Foundation, which diminishes WWOZ's budget and fails to fund free public events, such as the Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival or the Treme Gumbo Festival. You don't care about those events, so they don't matter.

Basically, it's all about you and your needs, but stop pretending you're sticking up for New Orleans artists who don't exist.
            You talkin' about me???
            I'm all for smaller, less expensive, more Louisiana oriented Fest
            If Anschutz cares about The Foundation, he could easily write a check
            Last edited by revjimk; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Really? I mean I know where he is coming from, and we have obviously debated much of this here, ad nauseum, but I'm not sure even the Rev. would contend that this is "...programmed suppression of the vast, vital talents currently performing in New Orleans and Louisiana".
              The Meters no longer exist. Neither do the Neville Bros. Same with Allen Toussaint, and (unfortunately) apparently Dr John. So which local talents, currently performing, could be programmed at Accura and Gentilly for 7 days?
              Shorty, yes. Anders, Galactic, Irma Thomas... but after those, it's a struggle to find names of that calibre to fill 50 slots..
              Still doesn't mean that it needs to be the likes of Van Halen, Bon Jovi etc, but that's just a matter of personal taste (or lack thereof).
              Sad but true. The vast majority of performers who brought me to JF are now in the Big Jam in the Sky
              I also think the 3 point shot is ruining basketball, but that won't change either....

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                Consider it co-signed by me. I fully support his argument.
                Me too.... surprise, surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

No personal attacks!
                  Are you jealous of her free spirit?
                  Amazing

Comment

I stumbled on this yesterday. It's a 4 part essay from 2015 by Alex Rawls on local vs out of town acts, looking at how the balance has changed over the years.

He does some thorough statistical analysis, looking at three 4-year time periods. He chooses '92-95 as the last of the "good-old-days", since Phish in '96 probably kick-started the debate over inappropriate BNAs; '01-04 as the final 4 years before AEG came in; and '11-14; and '12-15 as the most recent years as of his writing. Surprisingly, in terms of the number of acts from out of state, the changes aren't very big.

The percentages donít suggest that things have changed that much. In the period from 1992-1995, on average 59 percent of the acts were from New Orleans, 20 percent from the rest of the state, and 20 were from out of state. The percentages show a decline in local participation from 2001 to 2004, but those numbers are actually up in the last four yearsó59 percent from 1992-1995 vs. 55 percent from 2001-2004 vs. 63 percent in the last four years. New Orleans and Louisiana artists made up 79 percent of the performers vs. 71 percent vs. 75 percent. Itís hard to look at the headcount in our samples and see how Jazz Fest has meaningfully changed its commitment to the music of the region.
                    What he found HAS changed, though, is set length. In earlier years, there was less variation is set lengths. More recently, the later sets have grown in duration, and as so many of the NOLA legends have stopped performing or passed on, most of the later/longer sets have gone to out state acts.

Thatís perhaps the most startling thing this study turned up. <In 2015> Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue, The Terence Blanchard E-Collective, the Woodenhead reunion, GIVERS and the New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars are among the 13 acts from the state whoíll play 75 minutes, but 26 acts will play longer than any of them, and five will play two hours or more. Wilco didnít get their full two hours because of rain, but The Who and Jimmy Buffett did. Elton John is supposed to, and on Thursday, Widespread Panic is scheduled to play two and a half hours.

Itís hard to believe, but 26 acts is an improvement. Last year <2014>, Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra played an 80-minute set and Aaron Neville played 90 minutes; otherwise, New Orleans acts capped at 75 minutes while 42 national acts played longer, including String Cheese Incident (two hours), Bruce Springsteen (two hours and 45 minutes) and Phish (three hours). The year before, Galactic and Vernel Bagnerisí anniversary of One Moí Time got 80 minutes, Trombone Shorty got 85, but 32 national acts played more than 80 minutes, and Dave Matthews Band, Fleetwood Mac, and Widespread Panic played two hours or more.
                    Give it all a read if you have some time.

http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...eans-jazz-fest
                    http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...azz-fest-pt-2/
                    http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...jazz-fest-pt-3
                    http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...z-fest-coda%20
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Three hours of Cowboy Mouth. Now that would be heaven right here on earth.
                      Or at least at the fairgrounds.

Comment

every time I've seen Cowboy Mouth play at Fest, the crowd looks like they are having a blast. Different strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by McGregor View Post
                          every time I've seen Cowboy Mouth play at Fest, the crowd looks like they are having a blast. Different strokes.
                          Only act I have seen every Fest I have been to. I know it is corny, schlock music, but if you give in to it, I find it to be some of the most fun, 45 minutes of music I see live every year. I have hugged and laughed with family, friends, and strangers young and old. What else can you ask for? Definitely not 3 hours, for sure. Short set is best.

As for for the rest of this thread, I think Groovy nails it. FQ Fest is the no BNA, all local free alternative. JF is a musically diverse smorgasbord that includes big money, big crowds, that enables so much of what we love about New Orleans to survive. LMF, OZ, RocknBowl, do you think they would make ends meet without the Christmas shopping-like infusion of Fest?

Comment

There are few things I like better than a statistic analysis so thanks for sharing this Swag.
                            To get back to the original op-Ed; what do you (anyone) think about the argument about the involvement of local contractors etc? I found that to be a compelling point but Iím not sure if itís a fair one if we were to make a comparison with other large festivals.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                              There are few things I like better than a statistic analysis so thanks for sharing this Swag.
                              To get back to the original op-Ed; what do you (anyone) think about the argument about the involvement of local contractors etc? I found that to be a compelling point but Iím not sure if itís a fair one if we were to make a comparison with other large festivals.
                              Here's what I said about that up-thread:

When looking at local vs out-of-state contractors, I don't think it's fair to lump the musicians into the mix. Where Tom Petty or Elton John's talent agencies are doesn't really matter, and it's not like fest can find a local alternative for a specific BNA. Excluding musicians and their agents, AEG is the only big out-of-state contractor, and they get the same payout as the locally-owned Festival Productions. The other big contracts - for security and infrastructure - go to local companies. There's also the Fairgrounds itself - that doesn't show up on the 990s since it's a barter arrangement - which is owned by out-of-state Churchill Downs, but again, there's no real viable alternative.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                                I stumbled on this yesterday. It's a 4 part essay from 2015 by Alex Rawls on local vs out of town acts, looking at how the balance has changed over the years.

He does some thorough statistical analysis, looking at three 4-year time periods. He chooses '92-95 as the last of the "good-old-days", since Phish in '96 probably kick-started the debate over inappropriate BNAs; '01-04 as the final 4 years before AEG came in; and '11-14; and '12-15 as the most recent years as of his writing. Surprisingly, in terms of the number of acts from out of state, the changes aren't very big.

What he found HAS changed, though, is set length. In earlier years, there was less variation is set lengths. More recently, the later sets have grown in duration, and as so many of the NOLA legends have stopped performing or passed on, most of the later/longer sets have gone to out state acts.

Give it all a read if you have some time.

http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...eans-jazz-fest
                                http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...azz-fest-pt-2/
                                http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...jazz-fest-pt-3
                                http://myspiltmilk.com/jazz-fest-how...z-fest-coda%20
                                Interesting news.

Thanks for posting.

I will read more of it later on

Comment

Working...
                                X