jazzfest/AEG finances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
    Three hours of Cowboy Mouth. Now that would be heaven right here on earth.
    Or at least at the fairgrounds.
    Can't stand them!

Comment

Chance the Rapper would be a great choice for BNA at Jazzfest. Definitely some cursing, but his songs are "socially conscious" and have a good message.

I saw him at the String Cheese Incident festival Hulaween a few years ago and it was great. I think it would go over very well at the festival.

One of my big complaints is not enough Reggae. How about Morgan Heritage, Luciano, Tarrus Riley, etc Eek a Mouse, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
        If people are claiming that the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival doesn't look and sound like New Orleans, can you tell me which New Orleans performers have been missing...aside from the historic jazz pioneer known as Lil' Wayne?

As has already been covered in this thread, the greats of yesteryear, such as Allen Toussaint, Professor Longhair, Fats Domino, Lee Dorsey, James Booker, etc. are no longer with us. Dr. John, The Meters, The Neville Brothers, etc. can no longer perform. So, with the exception of the smaller artists who forget or choose not to apply, who is missing? Yes, I know there are always a handful of your personal favorites who play in small bars who don't make the cut, but by and large, almost every New Orleans act of note who wants to be at Jazz Fest plays Jazz Fest.

In a festival where 85% of the acts are from Louisiana, let's admit that your real beef is with the 15%. That's what you hate. You hate the fact that Jazz Fest is booking more bands. You really want to see fewer bands. You crave fewer options. You would like less musicians to be employed by this festival, including those locals who wind up backing up an out-of-town performer.

What would make you happy is a smaller festival that employs fewer people, has far fewer attendees, charges less money for tickets, and raises far less money for the Foundation, which diminishes WWOZ's budget and fails to fund free public events, such as the Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival or the Treme Gumbo Festival. You don't care about those events, so they don't matter.

Basically, it's all about you and your needs, but stop pretending you're sticking up for New Orleans artists who don't exist.
        You're looking at JF strictly as a money raiser & trying to guilt trip people who value it essentially for the music. Its "commodification"....capitalism turns everything into a commodity, an object to be bought or sold. JF was started to present the world with genuine New Orleans & Louisiana music, not to raise money. If they want to support a foundation, they could put on golf tournaments, fashion shows, invest in Air B&Bs, or run a raffle. SOME OF US CARE ABOUT THE MUSIC....
        This affects so many things. DeLorean's book "On A Clear day You Can See General Motors" explains the decline of US auto industry. DeLorean was "car guy", an engineer who gave us the GTO & other high performance cars in the 1960s. GM was started by "car guys", but eventually was taken over by "bean counters", financiers who were perfectly happy to make Big $$ by changing the sheet metal & outward designs of US cars every year, with no tech innovation. DeLorean's performance cars made them $$ in the 60s, with cheap gas, but as soon as the OPEC gas embargo hit in the early 70s, people started buying cars from Europe & Japan, where smaller, more economical cars were being built. The GM "Bean counters " had lost sight of the intrinsic value of the automobile, & it eventually bit them in the ass, & killed some of our major cities...
        AEG is leading JF down the same path..... forgetting the intrinsic value of Louisiana music
        Last edited by revjimk; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tuggernuts View Post
          Chance the Rapper would be a great choice for BNA at Jazzfest. Definitely some cursing, but his songs are "socially conscious" and have a good message.

I saw him at the String Cheese Incident festival Hulaween a few years ago and it was great. I think it would go over very well at the festival.

One of my big complaints is not enough Reggae. How about Morgan Heritage, Luciano, Tarrus Riley, etc Eek a Mouse, etc.
          I'm all for more reggae too....

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Can't stand them!
            Are you jealous of the Big Freds free spirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

No, I can't stand his music
              Don't start......

Comment

[QUOTE=tuggernuts;n826959 One of my big complaints is not enough Reggae. How about Morgan Heritage, Luciano, Tarrus Riley, etc Eek a Mouse, etc.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Steel Pulse last year - the best reggae band out of the UK by the proverbial country mile. I could only dream of Sly 'n Robbie with Ernest Ranglin making a fest appearance. One of the little things about fest that I really enjoy is its celebration of the music of the Caribbean. Not just reggae, but Cuban salsa and son, and the infectious beats and rhythms of the Garifuna people (I was surprised and delighted to learn that Nicholas Payton is of Garifuna background). And this is just scratching the surface. Last year also saw Lakou Mizik from Haiti who I missed at fest but caught at the Balcony Room - they were fabulous (and I'm hoping for Haiti's Moonlight Benjamin to make an appearance this year). If you accept Cyril's view that New Orleans is a Northern Caribbean city, then is there any more musically important region on the planet? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

What music? It's just "Everybody Scream" over and over and over . . .
                  To each his peach as Kitten says. I just have a really low tolerance for that stuff. I usually have to move on fast after hearing that three times. Fred covers that in the first two minutes, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NeenAtlanta View Post

What music? It's just "Everybody Scream" over and over and over . . .
                    To each his peach as Kitten says. I just have a really low tolerance for that stuff. I usually have to move on fast after hearing that three times. Fred covers that in the first two minutes, lol.
                    Fred can be over the top, but he does have some good songs. I usually can't do a full set of Cowboy Mouth, but I like some of their music and have heard some very good players in that band. I'm okay if I never hear anybody else do the "Somebody Scream!" bit again, but Fred is not the only New Orleans musician guilty of that. Somebody don't scream!

Comment

I enjoy the occasional Cowboy Mouth show. Not a lot of real rock bands at Fest, outside of BNA's. I'm not into the whole audience participation spiel and mostly just observe. Fred is a good drummer and singer.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        I enjoy the occasional Cowboy Mouth show. Not a lot of real rock bands at Fest, outside of BNA's. I'm not into the whole audience participation spiel and mostly just observe. Fred is a good drummer and singer.
                        I CAN’T HEAR YOU

Comment

Originally posted by peteup View Post

I really enjoyed Steel Pulse last year - the best reggae band out of the UK by the proverbial country mile. I could only dream of Sly 'n Robbie with Ernest Ranglin making a fest appearance. One of the little things about fest that I really enjoy is its celebration of the music of the Caribbean. Not just reggae, but Cuban salsa and son, and the infectious beats and rhythms of the Garifuna people (I was surprised and delighted to learn that Nicholas Payton is of Garifuna background). And this is just scratching the surface. Last year also saw Lakou Mizik from Haiti who I missed at fest but caught at the Balcony Room - they were fabulous (and I'm hoping for Haiti's Moonlight Benjamin to make an appearance this year). If you accept Cyril's view that New Orleans is a Northern Caribbean city, then is there any more musically important region on the planet? I think not.

Steel pulse I'm 2008 (I think it was 08 anywat) was the highlight of the year for me

Comment

Originally posted by peteup View Post

Yea, more reggae & ska (the real stuff, not "2 Tone" British copycats)
                            Ernest Ranglin is THE MAN... saw him in a quartet with Monty Alexander at a small club in NYC a few years back, one of the best shows, musically, I've ever seen
                            When I say "musically", that means pure music, unlike Ike & Tina show I saw in San Francisco way back in 1969... that was a SPECTACLE!!! fabulous.... Ernest & Monty just played & let the music speak for itself

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                              If you're an artist of color and you play blues, rock, or modern jazz, chances are you've already played Jazz Fest.
                              I can name many important African American jazz artists who have never played Jazz Fest. I have met so many who when they find out I am from New Orleans and am involved in the jazz world ask me how do they play Jazz Fest–? I just shrug and say "good luck." Ever since Charle Berring (previous jazz tent booker) passed in the early 90's, the jazz tent booking has been extremely insular and lacking imagination.
                              Last edited by belyin; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I can name many important African American jazz artists who have never played Jazz Fest. I have met so many who when they find out I am from New Orleans and am involved in the jazz world ask me how do they play Jazz Fest–? I just shrug and say "good luck." Ever since Charle Berring (previous jazz tent booker) passed in the early 90's, the jazz tent booking has been extremely insular and lacking imagination.

I too have wondered who books the artists in each of the genres or stages. Because it seems like in my particular genre of interest, zydeco, there is almost no imagination in the bookings. Every year it's the same people, not that I don't like them, because I do. It's just that there are so many others who never get the chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X