Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by festydave View Post

Not going to be Friday.
    Festy!!!!! I thought you had died or something.
    Great to see you back here. Come more often!
    (I still miss Con. Jr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Really wish I had seen that live on Broadway. I tried for tickets in the general on-sale a few times with no luck and I entered the raffle for $75 tickets on a daily basis for the whole run and got shut out. I was unwilling to pay the scalped price otherwise. I watched the Netflix production of it the other night and didnít love it as much as I wanted to, largely because I think a lot is lost by not seeing it performed live in the theater. Iíve learned my lesson about doubting the guy, but it is hard for me to see how it could translate to a Fest set. Way too much talking and not enough music; and most of the songs are performed closer to spoken word.
      I thought it was brilliant on Netflix. Totally compelling and mesmerizing. I also was not gonna pay hundreds of dollars for it on Broadway. And a much better view on TV!

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by husb_2ndliner View Post

I thought it was brilliant on Netflix. Totally compelling and mesmerizing. I also was not gonna pay hundreds of dollars for it on Broadway. And a much better view on TV!

Nate
        I really wanted to like it more and I'm not sure why I didn't. Maybe I've been overexposed to the material. I read his book and have obviously seen him a lot, including the acoustic tour he did several years ago following The Ghost of Tom Joad iirc, which I think was the genesis for the format he used for the Broadway production. I guess I felt like I heard most of it before. I like him better when he's preaching than when he is somber, and this was a pretty somber production imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

I really wanted to like it more and I'm not sure why I didn't. Maybe I've been overexposed to the material. I read his book and have obviously seen him a lot, including the acoustic tour he did several years ago following The Ghost of Tom Joad iirc, which I think was the genesis for the format he used for the Broadway production. I guess I felt like I heard most of it before. I like him better when he's preaching than when he is somber, and this was a pretty somber production imo.
          I totally agree with you. Not big on scripted, somber Bruce. I've seen him dozens of times and I want to be rocked when I see him. Just days before moving back to NOLA in 2016 I saw 3 shows at Met Life Stadium. All 3 were amazing and as great as any show that I had ever seen by him. Each 4 hours plus and entertaining as hell, especially that last one. I asked my friend that I was with which songs that she hoped to hear. He played them all in the first hour!

"We're going to play a bunch of things we didn't play the other two nights," Bruce announced
          August 30 / MetLife Stadium / E. Rutherford, NJ
          New York City Serenade (with strings)
          Blinded by the Light
          Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
          It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
          Spirit in the Night (with Rickie Lee Jones)
          Summertime Blues
          4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
          Kitty's Back
          Incident on 57th Street
          Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
          Pretty Flamingo
          Atlantic City
          I'm Goin' Down
          Darlington County
          Working on the Highway
          Downbound Train
          I'm on Fire
          Hungry Heart
          Out in the Street
          Living Proof
          Candy's Room
          She's the One
          Because the Night
          The Rising
          Badlands
          Secret Garden
          Jungleland
          Born to Run
          Dancing in the Dark
          Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
          Twist and Shout
          Glory Days
          Shout
          Jersey Girl

Comment

exactly!...in the setlist above he played "old" Bruce...I am not really into the "new" Boss...I also tried to watch the show on Netflix turned it off in less than 30min...and then dropped the
            needle on Greetings From Asbury Park...and then just to make sure my mind still worked went ahead and pulled out The Wild, The Innocent and got my fix...;-)

Comment

The announcement made today my Keith Spera of The Advocate is the line up will be out Tuesday the 15th at 11AM, not Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                Well, if he wants to bring back the Seeger Sessions Band, I'm all for it. Of course, I don't think there's any real chance of that happening.
                Now THAT was spectacular!

Comment

Originally posted by NeenAtlanta View Post

Festy!!!!! I thought you had died or something.
                  Great to see you back here. Come more often!
                  (I still miss Con. Jr.)
                  Aww, the good old days when love was all around on this bored <3

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post

Aww, the good old days when love was all around on this bored <3
                    Hey, we got love here. You just gotta dig a little deeper. Welcome back, sister!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post

Now THAT was spectacular!
                      I have a tape of that Seeger Sessions Springsteen set from the first post Katrina JF. Truth be told, the music was a little rough. I think it was the band's first live gig. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, the word spectacular really doesn't do that moment justice. The circumstances. Hell, nobody was sure JF would be back, or what would become of New Orleans. The song list, true songs of the people and hardship and overcoming. The reality that there is hope in music and acknowledging misery to be able to move past it. I was there that transcendent afternoon. He opened with "Oh Mary Don't You Weep." He had me at "Oh."

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

I have a tape of that Seeger Sessions Springsteen set from the first post Katrina JF. Truth be told, the music was a little rough. I think it was the band's first live gig. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, the word spectacular really doesn't do that moment justice. The circumstances. Hell, nobody was sure JF would be back, or what would become of New Orleans. The song list, true songs of the people and hardship and overcoming. The reality that there is hope in music and acknowledging misery to be able to move past it. I was there that transcendent afternoon. He opened with "Oh Mary Don't You Weep." He had me at "Oh."
                        http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...rleans-LA.html

"There was one show in America that stood out as not only one of the finest but one of the most meaningful of my work life: New Orleans."

The stakes were high that day for both Springsteen and the city. Not only was this the first Jazz Fest following Hurricane Katrina ó with much of the city still in tatters, and much of the populace still raw and shell-shocked ó but it was also the first public performance of the Seeger Sessions Band, which Springsteen first assembled to record songs by folk legend Pete Seeger.

"I finally had a band that I felt would contextually fit Jazz Fest," he writes. "I understood the great symbolism the festival would have to New Orleans that year and I wanted to make sure we honored it."

He goes on to describe how he researched "When the Saints Go Marching In" and turned it into a "meditation" informed by the song's lesser-known lyrics: "It was a quiet hymn, the way we presented it, but it was our thanks and our prayer for the city that had birthed blues, jazz, rock 'n' roll and so much of the most epic American culture."

He recounts arriving at the Fair Grounds at 8:30 a.m. for a sound check before the festival opened. U2 guitarist The Edge, an old friend, was there bright and early, as well, watching from the side of the Acura Stage as the Seeger Sessions Band rehearsed.

Details fill Springsteen's prose. The Acura Stage itself was "acoustically dead; there was very little ambient sound." For the musicians onstage, "this can make things sound flat and unexciting."

Allen Toussaint, whom Springsteen calls "New Orleans's spiritual godfather," preceded him at the festival that afternoon: "That's a hell of an opening act and tough to follow." Toussaint visited with Springsteen and company in their backstage trailer.

They arrived onstage to what Springsteen describes as "not tumultuous, but welcoming" applause. He "immediately sensed the crowd was not going to be easy," so he and his bandmates "went to work."

He made sure to clearly enunciate the lyrics of the old Blind Alfred Reed folk song "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live," to which he'd added lines that mocked President George W. Bush's lackluster response to Katrina's devastation. "My City of Ruins," a song he originally wrote about Asbury Park, New Jersey, sealed the deal with the crowd. "That's what it took," he writes. "A mutual acknowledgment of pain and hard times."

After winding down with the prayerful "When the Saints Go Marching In," he "watched white handkerchiefs flutter from a thousand hands in the last rays of the sun. There were some tears both on and off the stage."

He concludes, "I've played, many, many, many shows, but few like this one. ...You cannot book, manufacture or contrive these dates. It's a matter of moment, place, need, and a desire to serve in your own small way the events of the day. There, in New Orleans, there was a real job to do."
                        Last edited by jjazznj; 1 week ago.

Comment

Springsteen JF '06 = most emotional musical experience of my life by far. No doubt. But in other news.... Tedeschi Trucks are in Europe first weekend, but then their US tour starts on May 10 in Oakland, could be a second weekend appearance. Anyone heard anymore about the rumor being spread earlier of kamasi washington at the joy second weekend??? That's the show I'd be most interested in getting out to.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                            Springsteen JF '06 = most emotional musical experience of my life by far. No doubt. But in other news.... Tedeschi Trucks are in Europe first weekend, but then their US tour starts on May 10 in Oakland, could be a second weekend appearance. Anyone heard anymore about the rumor being spread earlier of kamasi washington at the joy second weekend??? That's the show I'd be most interested in getting out to.
                            I saw that today too- I'd be pretty surprised based on that gap if TTB isn't there 2nd weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by sfnola View Post

I saw that today too- I'd be pretty surprised based on that gap if TTB isn't there 2nd weekend.
                              I wonder what sort of radius clause they have for the shows at the Saenger at the end of January? Their both only about half sold last I looked, and announcing a fest set now won't help ticket sales any.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

I wonder what sort of radius clause they have for the shows at the Saenger at the end of January? Their both only about half sold last I looked, and announcing a fest set now won't help ticket sales any.
                                Wow, that's pretty surprising. They sell out two nights out here at the Fox in Oakland with ease, and based on how much they tour they likely do well everywhere they go. Wonder why those shows aren't selling.

Comment

Working...
                                X