Woodstock Will Return This Summer for it's 50th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

One of the reasons I love The Who. Pete also knocked obnoxious Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock. Good man that Pete.
    One of the original punks. Along with the Kinks, Jerry Lee Lewis, Doors...

Comment

The worst Woodstock ever:

Ace of Base
      Maroon 5
      Mike & The Mechanics
      Milli Vanilli
      Kevin Federline
      C & C Music Factory
      Ashlee Simpson
      Last edited by ice nine; 5 days ago.

Comment

One of the reasons I love The Who. Pete also knocked obnoxious Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock. Good man that Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Yep. Jerry was worried about 'scoring' overseas. Pete hooked him up.
          Actually, when the Dead and the Who played a couple of "Day on the Green" shows for Bill Graham the Dead graciously let the Who close the shows. Townshend returned the favor in 1981 by having the Dead close one of their shows in Germany which was for one of the Rockpalast shows. Townshend said he was really impressed with the Dead at the "Day on the Green" shows. He said he watched both days from the side of the stage and was amazed the Dead didn't repeat one song over the course of the two shows. So, I guess he liked some hippies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oym_LQCsPc
          Last edited by Jim; 5 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

Actually, when the Dead and the Who played a couple of "Day on the Green" shows for Bill Graham the Dead graciously let the Who close the shows. Townshend returned the favor in 1981 by having the Dead close one of their shows in Germany which was for one of the Rockpalast shows. Townshend said he was really impressed with the Dead at the "Day on the Green" shows. He said he watched both days from the side of the stage and was amazed the Dead didn't repeat one song over the course of the two shows. So, I guess he liked some hippies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oym_LQCsPc
            The Dead had problems with some hippies, too. "Music should be free, man!"

Comment

So should lunch

Comment

They sure did. Ever seen "Festival Express" where Bob Weir goes off on the gate crashers at one of the shows?

Comment

Let it be known.....Jerry liked his BMWs

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                    Let it be known.....Jerry liked his BMWs
                    Yeah, he got busted sitting in one getting high in Golden Gate Park around 1984.

Comment

The GD were always kinda anachronistic. They weren't really into the 'summer of love' thing, they hung out with Hell's Angels, they shunned politics (mostly), they were always on the outside of whatever side there was (to quote Dylan). They were never really 'hippies', just musicians who came up through the 60's in an era of long hair and psychedelia. It was the deadheads that pigeonholed them with that label later on.

Comment

I got to hang out with Billy and Brent at the Orgy on Bourbon Street one early morning in 1988. They did not come off as hippies. Quite the opposite.

Comment

I'm 180 degrees opposed to you on that. Townsend was just another big commercial rock star. The whole idea of Woodstock was FAR more than a big commercial rock concert. Thats why WE THE PEOPLE trampled the fences & made it a free event. It was all about the counter culture (which hadn't be named that yet), new lifestyles, & opposition to the war in Vietnam. Abby was 100% right when he said "the politics of this festival is the politics of pot", trying to bring attention to John Sinclair's 20 year sentence for a couple of joints (Sinclair eventually moved to N.O. & became involved in the music scene there). Townsend could have showed some respect & let Abby have his say, & even supported the idea of "Free John Sinclair". Be he was all wrapped up in his big rock star ego & had to push Abby off the stage (probably the only violence at the whole fest)
                          I participated in several demonstrations with Abby & love him. Townsend had some good songs (By the way, I slept thru most of "Tommy" at Woodstock... not that it was boring, but you have to sleep some time...)
                          Last edited by revjimk; 5 days ago.

Comment

Abby was a fucking hero. Not only worked in Civil Rights Movement, but was a leader of anti war protests during Vietnam War, withstood several vicious beatings from the pigs for it, & never gave up. His thing was to get the hippies involved politically & to open up the minds of straight politicos.
                            Townsend is a selfish rich guy

Comment

Abby could have had his say without interrupting the Who's set. Totally disrespectful and I'm glad Pete put him and his ego in it's place.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBreeze View Post
                                The GD were always kinda anachronistic. They weren't really into the 'summer of love' thing, they hung out with Hell's Angels, they shunned politics (mostly), they were always on the outside of whatever side there was (to quote Dylan). They were never really 'hippies', just musicians who came up through the 60's in an era of long hair and psychedelia. It was the deadheads that pigeonholed them with that label later on.
                                Ridiculous. They took tons of acid, had long hair & got famous in SF Summer of Love. They were hippies

Comment

Working...
                                X