X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fichadelphia
    replied
    Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
    I have an attorney related jazzfest story too. In 2006, I believe, my brother was a fifth owner in a 5 seater plane. He called a couple weeks before fest and asked if I'd like to fly down instead of drive. One of his flight instructor's students was an attorney in Little Rock and he had a deposition so he wasn't going to be able to ride down with this friends and was looking for a way to fly. I said why yes I would! And on Thursday before, I caught a ride on the plane and flew into the Lakefront Airport. I stayed in a condo in the quarter with several friends from around the county that I met on this board and condo was offered by Rossvegas. AFter the first day of fest, as I walked out wondering how to get back to the quarter(as I'd always had my car before), I heard $5 to the quarter! I said yes to that man who became my friend, Dan, the taxi man, except no taxi for Dan he drove his son's Beemer. He was a retired teacher who had been displaced to Houston by the storm and was in town to make some cash. I hooked him up with my friends who needed rides and he was our go to for many years. He told me through our tips that first year, our small group helped him buy furniture for his new home in Houston. He drove for us until he reached the age of 80something and quit driving. I called that the year I was a jazzfest princess since I flew to fest in a private plane, rode around in a BMW and stayed a block from LMF!
    Great story Vic!

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Originally posted by glinda View Post
    Looking forward to warm sunshine, great music wherever I wander, smiles, Threadhead hugs, yummy food and all the soul-feeding vibes that Jazz Fest provides! I've only been a total of about 3 days over the past 2 years. A rough 2 years, I would add. So for the 50th, I've got a big krewe going with me for the Party, daze between, and most of 2nd weekend. Yay!

Can't wait to hear the Voices of the Wetlands, Kamasi, Cecile, Soul Rebels, Gladys Knight, Jon Cleary, Allen Toussaint Tribute, some big gospel choirs, some zydeco, some injuns, parades, art..... Aaaah. Oh, and gonna ride the Chouval Bwa!
    YES! that too - for those who don't know about this, do yourselves a favor and look it up - it is magical

Leave a comment:

• funkkjunkie
    replied
    I have an attorney related jazzfest story too. In 2006, I believe, my brother was a fifth owner in a 5 seater plane. He called a couple weeks before fest and asked if I'd like to fly down instead of drive. One of his flight instructor's students was an attorney in Little Rock and he had a deposition so he wasn't going to be able to ride down with this friends and was looking for a way to fly. I said why yes I would! And on Thursday before, I caught a ride on the plane and flew into the Lakefront Airport. I stayed in a condo in the quarter with several friends from around the county that I met on this board and condo was offered by Rossvegas. AFter the first day of fest, as I walked out wondering how to get back to the quarter(as I'd always had my car before), I heard $5 to the quarter! I said yes to that man who became my friend, Dan, the taxi man, except no taxi for Dan he drove his son's Beemer. He was a retired teacher who had been displaced to Houston by the storm and was in town to make some cash. I hooked him up with my friends who needed rides and he was our go to for many years. He told me through our tips that first year, our small group helped him buy furniture for his new home in Houston. He drove for us until he reached the age of 80something and quit driving. I called that the year I was a jazzfest princess since I flew to fest in a private plane, rode around in a BMW and stayed a block from LMF!

Leave a comment:

• CEfromLA
    replied
    Except for one day of JF about 10 years ago (it was back-to-back weekends with FQF, so we stayed an extra day), we haven't done Jazzfest since '96. Chris talked us in to it because it was the 50th (and there were rumors of Paul McCartney).
    Got a great hotel deal through Priceline (thanks Swag!), bought Brass Passes (first time) and are doing the whole enchilada!!

We're giddy with excitement!

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I don't know you but I'm happy for you. I've missed a lot over the last two years (a lot as compared to my usual all 7 days) and this year may be the same, due to a massive trial that begins two weeks after the fest. If it settles though, I'm looking forward to kamasi washington a LOT, never seen him live, love the Heaven and Earth record. I hope John Fogerty still has it, LOVE him, loved his last trip to fest. Can still hear those opening licks to born on the bayou. I didn't think much of the bob seger rumors, but when they started i searched up one of his recent setlists, and like the one that's on the Seger thread, it was a revelation --- forget how many really great songs that guy has done over the years. In 2001 I attended what i think was to date still the only full Marsalis family show (with harry jr as part of satchmo celebrations, was fantastic), would love to repeat it, but that will be one of the toughest seats of the festival. last year's jupiter and okwess hype has me all gunned up to see someone i've never seen, which is true for the tons of african acts this year, who i'm psyched about. I think it's a great lineup except too old, and the one nod to youth being katy perry is a bad idea, should have gone hip hop, that's where all the young folks seem to be anyway, even if i'm more disappointed for my son than for myself. and of course, nola music is what makes it and its stocked to the brim. so hoping that case settles. And if it does, I may get to take my teenage son to see the band that shall not be named in this thread on second thursday.............
    One year, I postponed an important deposition to make it JF. Another year, I was able to settle a case set to start the Monday after against Chrysler Corporation. Lee Iacocca was going to be in town for the Derby, and I told the defense attorney I knew where he was staying and had a special bailiff at the ready to subpoena him for a deposition Derby morning. We settled. I hopped on a plane that afternoon, and was at JF the next morning when the gates opened.

Leave a comment:

• kyfester
    replied
    Originally posted by steeleye View Post
    Corona, Jonny? Did I just wake up from a dream and itís still 2006? Glad to see you both back!

Every year on artist release day, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. The magic of Jazzfest just has never worn off and I hope it never does. Is it perfect? Fuck no. But when you look at the daily line up, remember how the food tastes, the exhibits, the vibe, the Injuns, Liuzzas, good friends to share it all with, for $70. Itís a damn near perfect day for me.
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• groovy1967
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan View Post
    Really enjoyed the Boyfriend set last year (musicially and comedically)
    The set I most regret missing last year is Boyfriend. I'd never even heard of her, but after Fest ended, so many people whose opinions I respect (I think you were one of them, Jordan) were raving about how entertaining she was. I haven't heard a note of music or a line of her act, and I think I'll keep it that way, so I can walk in with a relatively blank slate. I have seen enough photos to know this is not a typical show, which sounds good to me.

Leave a comment:

• glinda
    replied
    Looking forward to warm sunshine, great music wherever I wander, smiles, Threadhead hugs, yummy food and all the soul-feeding vibes that Jazz Fest provides! I've only been a total of about 3 days over the past 2 years. A rough 2 years, I would add. So for the 50th, I've got a big krewe going with me for the Party, daze between, and most of 2nd weekend. Yay!

Can't wait to hear the Voices of the Wetlands, Kamasi, Cecile, Soul Rebels, Gladys Knight, Jon Cleary, Allen Toussaint Tribute, some big gospel choirs, some zydeco, some injuns, parades, art..... Aaaah. Oh, and gonna ride the Chouval Bwa!

Leave a comment:

• teetertotter
    replied
    Rolling in for New Orleans FUNDAZE 2019, 4/18 and back to the Fort 5/1. So got me some Extra, Tween, and a little ole' Fest with a first Thursday tacked on for the 50th. Will teeter, then totter, wherever the sweet breeze takes me. Hope to see y'all, smilin'!

Leave a comment:

• BigDag
    replied
    If there was ever a year to do the whole enchilada, this is it. Unfortunately, due to my finances (I'm saving to buy a car), and current family situation, I have to pretty much play it by ear. The patry is priority one. And if I have to choose just one fest day, I'd pick the second Sunday. But any day would be a good day. So we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    I'm excited for the whole thing - Just fist Thursday alone has me excited - I've never sees Alanis, and if I saw the Doobie Brothers it was a walk-by at a previous fest. Really enjoyed the Boyfriend set last year (musicially and comedically). Psyched to spend some time with Taj Mahal & Amy Helm (who has really come into her own in the last year or so). Psyched for being introduced to Rev. John Wilkins, James Carter, the Milk Carton Kids, the Speakerbox Experiment, & Dayna Kurtz's new project "Lulu & the Broadsides"and others. And of course, can't wait to pass some time with local regulars - Meschiya Lake, Mia Borders, Shades of Praise, Charlie Gabriel, Russell Batiste, Swamp Donkeys, 101 Runners, Forgotten Souls, Wimberly Family, and David Doucet. Multiply this by 6 and 3/4 additional fest days and add in Daze Between, food, friends, my New Orleans peeps who have adopted me as family, and a shit ton of night shows and you get an idea of why fest time is the highlight of my year!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Corona
    replied
    Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

Hey, girl. Cubes come out a month before the first day of fest.
    That's what I remembered. I guess for some reason I thought they changed that and made it earlier lol. Wishful thinking ha ha

Leave a comment:

• funkkjunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Corona View Post
    So other than what's happening on second Thursday, what sets are you most excited for? Just want to talk and read about something else lol.....ps when will the cubes be out? I can't remember. I'm pretty geeked about Kermit's tribute to Louis, DMB (my fav and I don't care what y'all think lol!), Seger, Stapleton (wahooo!!!), Fogherty, Shorty, Ani DiFranco, VOW, Little Feat, the RadsÖ..it's endless!!!!!!
    Hey, girl. Cubes come out a month before the first day of fest.

Leave a comment:

• groovy1967
    replied
    Originally posted by Quint View Post
    I'm really not that excited. It's okay, but it's a ton of retreads. I'll get to see the Stones, but I'm not overly pumped. Likely going Friday, Thursday, Friday, and maybe Sunday if I can score a cheap ticket.
    Let me know if you need a ride. I'll happily swing by your place to get you.
    ​​​
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• linza22
    replied
    Oh I'm excited for the first time in years. I usually only do 2 or 3 days... doing it all this year. Happy 60 to me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X