2019 Threadhead Cultural Foundation Raffle - Item Donations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta View Post
    And because Natalie is too polite to spell it out, it takes a lot more time, money and manpower for something to go in the on-line raffle than it does to drop it off at the Patry tent. I'm NOT trying to shill for the Patry raffle, we already get over 100 items every year, but just reminding folks that a $5 t-shirt takes exactly as much energy to get it photographed, listed, number drawn and shipped as a $500 gift certificate does.

If you have a question about a specific item just ask. Or if you don't care which one it goes in just let Natalie know when you donate it. There is a **L*O*T** of work that goes into the on-line raffle (not so much with the Patry tent), so any way we can streamline their effort is worth it. We definitely don't want to burn them out any sooner than necessary.
    Sure, it's a lot of work, but the bigger issue is that if I have to mail that t-shirt, it's possible that the mailing charges outweigh the money brought in. There's no way to know in advance if the winner will be able to pick it up, or if it will have to be shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
      Thanks, y'all. So Doug, you're talking the big raffle, yes? Gift cards to restaurants and LMF I'm guessing. What else does well? PS Drink your water.
      Yes, gift cards for the online raffle sell a lot of tickets. ANY gift cards. Last year we had anything from LMF to restaurants to Amazon. They all did well. Other things include tickets to night shows, hotel stays, and New Orleans stuff. There was a set of blue and white NOLA coasters last year that did crazy well. It's really hard to predict what will sell the most tickets. But they are just a few ideas on what performed well last year.

Comment

And because Natalie is too polite to spell it out, it takes a lot more time, money and manpower for something to go in the on-line raffle than it does to drop it off at the Patry tent. I'm NOT trying to shill for the Patry raffle, we already get over 100 items every year, but just reminding folks that a $5 t-shirt takes exactly as much energy to get it photographed, listed, number drawn and shipped as a $500 gift certificate does.

If you have a question about a specific item just ask. Or if you don't care which one it goes in just let Natalie know when you donate it. There is a **L*O*T** of work that goes into the on-line raffle (not so much with the Patry tent), so any way we can streamline their effort is worth it. We definitely don't want to burn them out any sooner than necessary.
        Delta, this post was a revelation to me. I just emailed Natalie and told her that much of the stuff I planned to donate, which is more "cool" than "valuable" (example, vinyl LP signed by artist) will be going to the Patry this year instead.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's concern about how much work goes into the online raffle. I think that Delta was specifically referring to the t-shirts I mentioned. We had a significant amount of t-shirts donated last year that didn't bring in a lot of money. It's just hard to sell a lot of tickets for a previously worn t-shirt in a particular size for a specific band (or other). Those will sell better at the Patry raffle. Other tangible items (jewelry, collectables, CDs, posters, etc.) are most welcome for the online raffle.

The online raffle raises a significant source of funds that are awarded in the way of grants to artists. So, please keep the donations coming! If you have a specific question you can either ask it here, or email me privately at threadheadraffle at h0tmail

Comment

Nooooo.....I'm not trying to make it sound like "valuable" is the criteria! I was speaking more to appropriate really. Natalie's point about shipping costs for a t-shirt that may have only gotten one $1 ticket sold isn't making any money. A shirt that gets a $1 ticket in the envelope at the Patry is $1 profit that goes back to grants. "Desirable" is more the criteria than anything, especially if it's something that will garner a higher ticket price on line.

Unless it some fabulous last-minute thing someone brings with them that everyone wants, we usually have an average of probably 20 tickets ($20) per item at the Patry. The items in the main raffle make much more per item on average and have a sliding scale ticket price.

I was trying to make things easier, not confuse them, so if you have any questions ASK! We all love to see the stuff coming in as donations.

p.s. Before anyone asks, any big-ticket stuff you see at the Patry is from last minute donations. If a vacation pkg or pair of tickets or whatever is at the Patry, it's because someone brought it with them or else they couldn't use it and want to pass it on.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetOlive View Post
              The 2019 Threadhead Cultural Foundation Raffle is now accepting donations!

Get excited!

Popular donations from previous years include posters, concert tickets, hotel stays, jewelry, CDs, gift cards, and the list goes on!
              Deadline for donations is February 20, 2019 and the deadline for getting items to Natalie & Doug, the raffle Administrators, is February 28, 2019.
              This raffle benefits the Threadhead Cultural Foundation, a 501c3 organization, which supports both local free youth music clinics and the New Orleans Musicians’ Clinic/New Orleans Musicians’ Assistance Fund. All donations are tax deductible!
              http://threadheadraffle.com/donate-raffle-item-2019/
              Thank you all!!!! - bumping up post

Comment

It's almost the weekend! Don't forget to see what you might have to donate to the raffle!

Comment

The best Patry raffle items seem to be stuff that can be easily packed in a suitcase, consumed quickly, or used right away. Since we have no shipping option for the prizes, small, portable items do best. We also receive a ton of donations the morning of from people who bring stuff with them rather than mailing it ahead of time. NOLA- and Fest-centric items do pretty well, like books, posters and t-shirts. It's hit or miss on photos. Gift certificates for food or LMF, and tickets to live shows during fest week do very well. Jewelry and unique clothing items are always a big seller. Saints stuff is usually a big hit. We've never had a bottle of wine that wasn't claimed, and hand-made items always have stuffed envelopes.

Stuff that doesn't do as well is generic decorative stuff, children's items, anything we get multiples of (2 or 3 is fine, but we can't really use a dozen of anything unless it's Brass Passes or booze) and oddly, I wind up with a stack of unclaimed CDs every year.

That is all based on past years, using the simple table and tent set-up, but we're moving to a new place this year so I can't guarantee it will look the same. We'll use the same procedure for running it as far as I know though.

If something totally fabulous is donated at the Patry and it looks like something that would do better in the on-line raffle the following year, we'll ask you if we can do that. We (meaning SweetOlive) might also ask if something that is donated to the on-line raffle might be presented at the Patry tent instead. We try to put things where they will generate the most money and that occasionally means shifting things around a bit. I can't remember anyone every objecting too much.

Vicki, Vicki, Natalie, and anyone else who has spent time in the tent with us, do you have any other observations or suggestions? I don't do this by myself and y'all might have noticed different trends than I have.

Anyone with questions about it or suggestions to make it better hit me up and I'll figure it out.
                  I agree with Delta about what seems to do best onsite. I would also add that if you know you have something you want to bring for the onsite raffle, it would help if you let her know in advance. Delta does an amazing job of getting everything organized and displayed. I love helping out with the onsite raffle during the Patry and am always blown away by the generosity of our Patry guests. Keep those donations coming and get ready to buy some tickets.

Comment

bumping to the top, just put some signed Jon Cleary material into the mix

Comment

Just got back from a beautiful long weekend in LA visiting lurker, CEfromLA, and festivalgirl. So fortunate to have friends around the world because of this board! Picked up some raffle donations there, too! Three more weeks to get your forms in!

Comment

Welcome home. We missed you and Doug at Bmacs Saturday.

Comment

This topic should be sticky.

SWAG.

Natalie I will email you later on. RE raffle items that I already have taken to Nola

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                            Welcome home. We missed you and Doug at Bmacs Saturday.
                            Thanks! I hated missing that!

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
                              This topic should be sticky.

SWAG.

Natalie I will email you later on. RE raffle items that I already have taken to Nola
                              I picked up your items a few hours before we flew out of town. We plan to sort it out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetOlive View Post

I picked up your items a few hours before we flew out of town. We plan to sort it out this weekend.
                                Cool Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X