The Magic of JF... finding “new” Gems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magic of JF... finding “new” Gems

One of favorite parts of JazzFest is discovering new performers who become Favorites on my playlists or I go see perform live.

Ive been going to JF for about 15 years.... so some of my hidden gems are now Headliners such as Shorty, The Rivivalists, Marc Broussard, Big Sam
    some of the more recent ones are Sweet Crude, Flow Tribe

im looking for recommendations from this years lineup to add to my list.

i’ll start with Jose James doing a Tribute to Bill Withers on the 1st weekend. I also heard a rumor that a group called The Rolling Stones might be ok

Now, you go....

Hey there,
    if itís any interest I started a thread a few days ago about the Spotify playlists of each days artists. Itís probably buried under the post stones excitement. Check it out.

Comment

The crazy thing about fest is I've almost never wandered up to an act I knew nothing about and didn't like it. That should tell you something.

Comment

Do you know about Andrew Duhon (2nd Sat), Alexis and the Samurai (1st Friday)?

And, as a side note, I just discovered that Chris Smithers is playing 2nd Friday YAY

Comment

I've only youtubed a couple days but I've found a few I will try to check out.
          1st Thursday
          Lulu and the Broadsides featuring Dana Kurtz- Heard of Kurtz but never seen or listened until now
          Diassing Kunda- hard to find much online but liked what I found
          101 Runners- a do not miss for me

Friday
          Soul Brass-DErrick Freeman's latest with James Martin
          Diassing Kunda again
          Darlingside-not my thing but some will love

Saturday
          Marshland-oooh, a good one. They have a tiny desk concert
          Ricky Dillard and New G- gonna rock the gospel
          Dobet Gnahore- sort of in the vein of Angelique Kidjo
          Maggie Koerner- Hoping they put her on a smaller stage this year. I know that's not what most musicians want but she didn't translate well on Gentilly. #girlcrush

Sunday
          David Gonzalez- head banger?
          Da Souljas Brass- Souljas has rapped with rebirth several times. And Rebirth has played fest under an alias before.

Comment

Neglected to mention the Midnite Disturbers- a do not miss full of New Orleans All Stars.

Comment

Jupiter & Okwess.

Comment

Originally posted by steeleye View Post
                Jupiter & Okwess.
                After last year's reviews they are an act i plan to make time for no matter what. EVERYbody was talking about these guys. In fact there seem to be a lot more african and carribean acts than usual this year, and in general i've been pleasantly surprised by international acts at the fair including my first (but not last) encounter with baba maal at congo square. I still haven't seen Boyfriend yet. Or Regina Carter, though I'm not sure she qualifies as a new or hidden gem.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

After last year's reviews they are an act i plan to make time for no matter what. EVERYbody was talking about these guys. In fact there seem to be a lot more african and carribean acts than usual this year, and in general i've been pleasantly surprised by international acts at the fair including my first (but not last) encounter with baba maal at congo square. I still haven't seen Boyfriend yet. Or Regina Carter, though I'm not sure she qualifies as a new or hidden gem.
                  They have an infectious spirit. If you like polyrhythmic African dance music with a nod to New Orleans funk, you will enjoy.

Comment

Speaking of jupiter and okwess, they are opening for Galactic at Tips. Second saturday I believe.

Comment

Dobet Gnahore, from the Ivory Coast and performing two days of the first weekend, is another fine African artist.

Comment

1st Thursday
                        "Lulu and the Broadsides featuring Dana Kurtz- Heard of Kurtz but never seen or listened until now "

Dayna Kurtz played at the Lagniappe stage in 2012 with a terrific band . It was one of the highlights of the fest for me that year . I'd love to see her this year but I'm not going to be there on the first weekend .https://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index....most_of_h.html
                        Last edited by johnb; 01-20-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Great thread..... talking music

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                            Great thread..... talking music
                            Wait, I thought these boards were for finding Rolling Stones tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

The African, Caribbean, South American, NO locals and Gospel acts are the ones I cherish the most. People always ask me here when I start talking JF -- as I have incessantly since last Tuesday -- who is playing and whom I want to hear most? When I say Mdou Moctar or Rance Allen or Topsy Chapman or Aurora Nealand or NO Klezmer All-Stars, they mostly don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X