Overthink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overthink

It just seems to me that the entire “Jazzfest” business model ran into a wall this year. Trying too hard on too many levels. Quint and his bosses and Art4now and how many others?
    Pretty disappointing so far.
    IMO.

Nancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
      Nancy?
      Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
        Nancy?
        Ha! Maybe.

Comment

I think that worse than the actual changes in scheduling and choosing artists, is the extremely poor communication of the Fest powers.

Disconcerting to plan for 2nd weekend and book place to stay, etc. only to learn that you only get 3 regular days of fest. For people on 1st weekend, similarly, not knowing well in advance means they might not be making it in for the first Thursday. The delays in communicating the prices, the ticket procedures, the Brass Pass details, the no-chairs rule were really pretty unforgivable.

Comment

I'm with you on the communication, saturn. We still don't really know if the no chair rule is a thing, do we? Has the Foundation made that announcement? I only heard he said she said stuff on that. And YYR, the communication is still nonexistent. There's really no excuse for it.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn View Post
              I think that worse than the actual changes in scheduling and choosing artists, is the extremely poor communication of the Fest powers.

Disconcerting to plan for 2nd weekend and book place to stay, etc. only to learn that you only get 3 regular days of fest. For people on 1st weekend, similarly, not knowing well in advance means they might not be making it in for the first Thursday. The delays in communicating the prices, the ticket procedures, the Brass Pass details, the no-chairs rule were really pretty unforgivable.
              When should they have announced all of this info? Dec? Nov? Oct? Do you have any idea what goes into this fest? I'm sure that there were good reasons for the delay. It was common knowledge that The Stones were going to play on May 2nd for some time. None of the details seemed surprising at all. The fest is months away. Go or don't go. As for the chairs, I love the idea and especially no tarps. Hope they stick with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

When should they have announced all of this info? Dec? Nov? Oct? Do you have any idea what goes into this fest? I'm sure that there were good reasons for the delay. It was common knowledge that The Stones were going to play on May 2nd for some time. None of the details seemed surprising at all. The fest is months away. Go or don't go. As for the chairs, I love the idea and especially no tarps. Hope they stick with that.
                Are they talking no chairs for the entire fest or just for Stones day??

Comment

People come from out of town, and it's the most loyal fest fans who make nonrefundable travel plans far in advance. The extra day should have been announced as soon as fest knew it was happening. And maybe it was? The other time they did a 1st Thursday, IIRC it wasn't announced until January, so this time it came 2 months earlier. If the extra day was contingent on getting the Stones inked, that may have not happened until shortly before the announcement (my hunch is this is the case). But if it was planned all along, it should have been announced last May. We may never know.

It's not just communication with the attendees. WWOZ themselves have indicated that the extra day announcement caught them off guard, and it's evident that fest hadn't considered the effects on the brass pass and gala pass. I've heard the foundation was still debating the Stones day ticket prices a week before they went on sale. The communication may have seemed not timely, but I suspect the real problem is that they were just making it up as they went along.

On the chairs, Saturn is 100% correct. Without re-debating the merits of the chair ban, you have to agree it's a significant change. And yet there is STILL no mention of it anywhere on the fest website or social media. It's been mentioned (though not prominently) in a couple of articles in the local papers, and I've blogged it, but I'll be the majority of out of town Stones day attendees do not yet know about it.
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

My thoughts were slightly different in intent from the perfectly valid positions presented above. I will use a sports analogy to explain my intent. I've played sports my entire life (although age has now caught up with me) and it is a truism that if you get too caught up, too wound up and just plain "overthink", than more often than not you come up short. Miss the pitch, miss the basket, miss the catch, whatever. You are trying too hard and lose what it is that made you so good to begin with. Some perform well in the "clutch" and under pressure and others don't. I just suggest that the self-imposed pressure of the "50th" got to these folks and they fumbled. Perhaps not "whiffed" completely but just by trying too hard came up just a wee bit short. My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post

Are they talking no chairs for the entire fest or just for Stones day??
                      Just for May 2. Not etched in, um, stone imo.

Comment

I think we have to wait for the post game to discuss how badly the players choked or didn't .
                        It's only January. If all goes off without a hitch in May, Fest organizers could be world champs.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                          People come from out of town, and it's the most loyal fest fans who make nonrefundable travel plans far in advance. The extra day should have been announced as soon as fest knew it was happening. And maybe it was? The other time they did a 1st Thursday, IIRC it wasn't announced until January, so this time it came 2 months earlier. If the extra day was contingent on getting the Stones inked, that may have not happened until shortly before the announcement (my hunch is this is the case). But if it was planned all along, it should have been announced last May. We may never know.

It's not just communication with the attendees. WWOZ themselves have indicated that the extra day announcement caught them off guard, and it's evident that fest hadn't considered the effects on the brass pass and gala pass. I've heard the foundation was still debating the Stones day ticket prices a week before they went on sale. The communication may have seemed not timely, but I suspect the real problem is that they were just making it up as they went along.

On the chairs, Saturn is 100% correct. Without re-debating the merits of the chair ban, you have to agree it's a significant change. And yet there is STILL no mention of it anywhere on the fest website or social media. It's been mentioned (though not prominently) in a couple of articles in the local papers, and I've blogged it, but I'll be the majority of out of town Stones day attendees do not yet know about it.
                          I agree if chairs are banned that day they should have let everyone know before selling the tix. Some may choose not to attend if they cannot bring a chair and may not find out until the day of. I like the idea of no chairs and no tarps as it frees up more space at the big stages. As soon as I heard The Stones were playing on a special day I assumed that no passes would be allowed on that day as they would want to cap attendance. It was a bit confusing the way they sold The Stones tix but I easily got mine the day after the local sale by just calling in to Ticketmaster. Either way it sold out right away so they must have done something right. Some were upset they did not get tix but that is just supply and demand. I'm sure they had their reasons for waiting to make the announcements about all of the details. It's not like they have any reason to hide anything.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Here's the thing, and it goes to something the Mormon one said a couple weeks back: we're talking to each other in an echo chamber (chamber...chamber...chamber....) of 50-75 hardcore jazzfest freaks which has increased about 50% with the influx of Stones ticket seekers who were told to come here where people are such stupidly idealistic music geeks they might sell you a ticket for face value because "it's the right thing to do".
                            The most loyal fest fans Swag describes are a small small group, maybe in the hundreds. Maybe. Meanwhile FPI/AEG are looking to serve half a million people this year, most of whom won't even look at the lineup until one of their geeky music friends sends it to them and/or tells them "I scored two extras for the Stones, let's go!!!". We are for and of the festival, but the festival is in no way for or of us (see, Katy Perry). That is disheartening at times, but it's the truth. Work life permitting I will be there all 8 days though. (Failed attempt at shrugging emoticon should go here)

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

The fest is months away. Go or don't go. As for the chairs, I love the idea and especially no tarps. Hope they stick with that.
                              Spoken like someone who lives here. If you had to spend thousands in airfare, hotels and coordinate dates and details with your fellow traveling Jazz Fest buddies, you may think differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X