Big late night jazz fest show announcement coming Monday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bRETT View Post

Rads start at ten, so catching the entirety of both shows doesn't look possible (unless the Rads add an opening band, which doesn't seem likely). I'm happy with the Rads.
    Rads start at 11:11

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
      From the grids thread: Foundations of Funk - George Porter, Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste, Ivan Neville, Ian Neville, Tony Hall, with Oteil Burbridge and some “very special guests” at The Fillmore New Orleans on 5/1
      I'm not going to leak Johnny V's schedule, but this explains why George and Ivan aren't playing @ The Leaf. Love the Trio+Ivan, but change is good. Johnny will be doing the 2 drummer thing with 2 others, 1 being June.

Comment

Originally posted by windowman View Post

Rads start at 11:11
        I know that's the usual mo. but the Civic is listing doors at nine, show at ten. So I'd guess they're either adding an opener or doing an earlier show-- the Civic may not want to run it till 2:30 like the Tip's shows. Not sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
          From the grids thread: Foundations of Funk - George Porter, Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste, Ivan Neville, Ian Neville, Tony Hall, with Oteil Burbridge and some “very special guests” at The Fillmore New Orleans on 5/1
          Who looks at Foundation of Funk and says, "What this band needs is another bassist because George just can't hold it down on his own"?

This lineup is overkill with a capital O, and it sounds like it's about to get worse. You shouldn't need more than four people to play a Meters song, so I can only hope that the very special guests are horn players because there are already too many guitarists/bassists. I realize they've got a lot of tickets to sell, and the best way to do that is to throw out some low-hanging fruit that will appeal to Deadheads who think that the pinnacle of modern music is Dead & Co. That's not a knock against Oteil, but aside from his ability to sell tickets, he's totally unnecessary with George on the bill. Tony Hall better not even think about touching his bass in this group.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Who looks at Foundation of Funk and says, "What this band needs is another bassist because George just can't hold it down on his own"?

This lineup is overkill with a capital O, and it sounds like it's about to get worse. You shouldn't need more than four people to play a Meters song, so I can only hope that the very special guests are horn players because there are already too many guitarists/bassists. I realize they've got a lot of tickets to sell, and the best way to do that is to throw out some low-hanging fruit that will appeal to Deadheads who think that the pinnacle of modern music is Dead & Co. That's not a knock against Oteil, but aside from his ability to sell tickets, he's totally unnecessary with George on the bill. Tony Hall better not even think about touching his bass in this group.
            They are forming a new act- Three Bass Night.
            I love Oteil, but wtf does he have to do with funk? Nothing. LN sucks.

Comment

Same show as 1st Friday at fest really minus dept. of redundancy dept. Oteil. Looking forward to that. Guess it's a Congo stage? Hopefully not a closer. Cyril should be up there with them.

Comment

they need another guitar player...does Tony Hall play the guitar...from the shows I have seen he seems to mostly play bass...??

so far I am on the fence for this show...this place holds 2,200 GA...come on grids...ha...ha...

Comment

According to the Fillmore page, Oteil is the opening act.

http://www.fillmorenola.com/EventDet...9441&offerid=0

Comment

Originally posted by innertube View Post

they need another guitar player...does Tony Hall play the guitar...from the shows I have seen he seems to mostly play bass...??

so far I am on the fence for this show...this place holds 2,200 GA...come on grids...ha...ha...
                    Tony is always on guitar in this FOF lineup. Also.....Keef.

Comment

Originally posted by tuggernuts View Post

Also.....Keef.
                      Please stop.

Comment

Let’s clarify a few things
                        Oteil is a guest on a few songs only, he happenns to be in town and worships George and they never get to play together, so it’ll be specual.
                        And the 3 “surprise special guests” haven’t been announced yet!
                        Trust me this will be cool!
                        Even Ivan will tell you so much!
                        2,200 tickets will sell out real quick.
                        Feel free to sleep on this and miss out!
                        Waych this band st Lockn!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfE4c6WPOU

Comment

Originally posted by tuggernuts View Post

Tony is always on guitar in this FOF lineup. Also.....Keef.
                          Does it really matter if "Keef" shows up? In the videos of the band that I've seen in the past few years Richards doesn't play much guitar anymore. I'm guessing if he does show up for this show he'll do a lot of standing around and smiling.

Comment

Feel free to sleep on this and miss out!
                            Waych this band st Lockn!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfE4c6WPOU
                            [/QUOTE]

I loved the Lockn set, one of my favorite live sets of the year for 2018. But, since I saw that and can catch em at the Fairgrounds, opting for Billy Strings that night I think. He is one of the leading lights of his generation, and a great live performer. I see enough geriatric acts at Fest, meaning no disrespect to the older generation still out there doing their thing. But like to support the younguns too.

Comment

Anybody know what this is going to cost, since ticketmaster seems to no longer show prices before the sales begin?

Comment

YYR, smallyak. It would be good to be able to think on whether I want to spend $x. jr504, whatdya know about ticket price for SRO and seats?

Comment

Working...
                                X