Best and Worst Venues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst Venues

I remember a thread a while ago listing the best and worst venues around town. I tried to search but, couldn't find it. Does anyone remember anything that would help me find it?

I tried a google search and came up dry. However, I found this....a nice flashback.

http://www.offbeat.com/articles/best...s-perspective/

Comment

My least favorite venue is Howlin Wolf. The floor kills my back, it has no atmosphere and the bathrooms are gross.

Comment

Best sound: Three Keys

Worst everything: Contemporary Arts Center

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
          Best sound: Three Keys

Gotta disagree with 3 Keys. Every show I've seen there has muffled sound. Still....a great venue, despite.

Comment

I don't think I have a favorite. BTW, they added one set of bleachers to Howlin Wolf during the jazzfest last year and it was used by lots of folks!

Comment

And usually I can google and find stuff but this time it was a dead end. I tried about a dozen different search term combos.

Comment

worst=Republic

Comment

Originally posted by halley8 View Post
                  worst=Republic
                  Yeah, I don't like Republic either. I like the Balcony Room at Blue Nile and whilst the sound is sorta crap, I like Le Bon Temps Rouler on Magazine (but there don't seem to be many gigs there anymore).

Comment

I like Chickie Wah Wah a whole lot. I feel like they must pay their musicians fairly and I like supporting a venue that does that over ones that do not. They have seats and tables and nice clean bathrooms.
                    I like Siberia- again, plenty of seating, good food, cheap drinks.
                    I do not like Saturn Bar but that's primarily for all the aspects that make it kind of charming- it feels like a tinder box, it is definitely on my CTS list (closed toe shoe list), the bathroom is garbage.
                    I like Snug Harbor- its the best if you truly want to listen.
                    I like Three Muses when I remember to make a reservation. They often have musicians that I love to see like Washboard Rodeo.
                    I like Buffa's because they have a decibel meter on the wall. Also, it has good atmosphere in some weird way.
                    I like Allways Lounge for its atmosphere and setup.
                    I love Dos Jefes though the cigar smoke may be unpleasant for some

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                      I absolutely agree. Worst musical experience of my life was seeing the Meters there.

Comment

I've had some great afternoons sitting at the bar at Maison...

Comment

Worst for me is Maison when it's crowded. Even in VIP I can never see the band. My two faves are Blue Nile Balcony Room and Little Gem

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                            I like Chickie Wah Wah a whole lot. I feel like they must pay their musicians fairly and I like supporting a venue that does that over ones that do not. They have seats and tables and nice clean bathrooms.
                            I'm not a fan of CWW, I've only been for shows that are SRO and its difficult to fight through the crowd to get to the bathrooms which are behind the stage then get back to your spot. For seated shows I think it would be a nice spot

I really like the Blue Nile, both the main room and the balcony room.
                            I also like One Eyed Jacks, tiered floor makes it easy to see for short people, and the bar is in the middle of the room

Comment

For me, the crowd size is the number one factor venue-wise that makes a venue good or bad (maybe tied with the chances I can sit at some point).

Chickie is probably my favorite year-round venue for all the reasons Fich mentioned, but twice a year when they pull out all the tables and pack in a standing crowd for Anders, I want no part of it. People complain about House of Blues, but it has good sound and sight lines, when it's not crowded; when it's oversold, it's miserable.

So that has me thinking, what venues are still tolerable when sold out? The theaters are fine, assuming you're in the seated section and not SRO floor, as well as other seated venues like Snug. But what are the standing or mostly-standing venues that don't get oversold to the point where you can't move, if you're in the room where the band is playing? I've never been in Rock n Bowl where there wasn't plenty of space back towards the kitchen. Little Gem also, both up and down, though I'm not sure the shows I've seen there have been sold out? Where else?
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X