No announcement yet.

Best and Worst Venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of sold out, I had a conversation with Rob Mercurio, suggesting what we had talked about here-reducing what sold out means at Tips by at least 50, and increasing ticket prices by $5 to make up for it. He liked it and was going to discuss with his people. Only time will tell if they decided to go that direction. Do y'all think 50 less bodies would make a noticeable difference there?

Comment

And if I had to pick my faves, it would be Blue Nile and Little Gem upstairs, even though they need to raise both those stages. If Maison would do all its shows at the front stage, it would be a fave.

Comment

Venues I like:
        • Siberia, One Eyed Jacks, DBA - solid line-ups, solid spaces
        • Carrolton Station, Maple leaf, Spotted Cat- mostly due to line-up
        • Hi Ho, Old Point - lineup has been weak last few years, but love the space
        • Tips - even more now that they are owned by Galactic
        • Saturn, Vaughn's, BJ's, Bud RIps, Banks Street Bar, checkpoint charlie's, Circle Bar, Le Bon Temps Roulet, Music Box Village, Old Arabi Bar- seeping with NO feel
        • Bamboulas/Frenchman Theater & Southport - surprisingly good, but underutilized spaces
        • LMF
        • Gasa Gasa
        • Little Gem Ramp Room - only fun if it is fairly crowded
        • Side Bar Nola - most impressive lineup over the last two years
        • Portside Lounge - hope they book more music
        Venues I'm ok with:
        • Joy
        • Republic
        • BMC - horrible line ups in the past
        • Buffa's -
        • Cafe Istanbul - usually overpriced
        • HOB Parish - good shape for music, decent lineups
        • Little Gem - too fancy, food sucks
        • Ace Hotel
        • Bullet's - go for the story

Venues I don't like:
        • Howlin Wolf - too many people there just to say they were there
        • HOB - No soul
        • Maison, 30/90 degrees, Cafe Negril, Apple Barrel, whatever that other place is called across from the park on Frenchman - bad setup
        • Mardi Gras World, Orpheum, Saenger, Sugar Mill, Civic - too big
        • Rock 'n' Bowl - it's not just John, but he's part of the problem
        • Bacchanal - great meal place, but too much talking
        • Pres Hall, Snug Harbor, Three Muses- too restrictive
        • Dos Jefes - cigar smoke
        • Kerry's Irish Pub - music is an afterthought
        Venues I miss terribly:
        • Benny's
        • Mermaid Lounge
        • Muddy Waters
        • Donna's

Comment

One Eyed Jacks is a favorite.. hate the concrete floors at Howlin Wolf but always have a great time there (also love the den)... Allways lounge, ample seating, cheap drinks & good acoustics

Comment

How could I possibly forget my arch-nemesis, One Eyed Jacks? I could stand it for a very uncrowded show but anything approaching crowded is a no for me from now on.
            I LOVED Portside Lounge and also wish they'd have more music there. My friends and I ate at the pop up kitchen in the back room and enjoyed all of the tiki drinks and reasonably priced beers. 100% would go again.
            I like Three Keys a whole lot and haven' experienced anything other than great sound there- so maybe it's just that I've been to the right shows? The selection of whiskey and cocktails in the front bar is super, and I like the convenient little bar inside the venue itself. Sparkling clean bathrooms with good quality hand soap and lotion? YES. I'm such a fuss pot, I know.

I haven't been to the Starlight but plan to soon, anyone have any feedback or advice?

I (now) love the Maple Leaf when it isn't packed to the gills and after attending two or three nights there last Fest, I love Gasa Gasa as well.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
              For me, the crowd size is the number one factor venue-wise that makes a venue good or bad (maybe tied with the chances I can sit at some point).

Chickie is probably my favorite year-round venue for all the reasons Fich mentioned, but twice a year when they pull out all the tables and pack in a standing crowd for Anders, I want no part of it. People complain about House of Blues, but it has good sound and sight lines, when it's not crowded; when it's oversold, it's miserable.

So that has me thinking, what venues are still tolerable when sold out? The theaters are fine, assuming you're in the seated section and not SRO floor, as well as other seated venues like Snug. But what are the standing or mostly-standing venues that don't get oversold to the point where you can't move, if you're in the room where the band is playing? I've never been in Rock n Bowl where there wasn't plenty of space back towards the kitchen. Little Gem also, both up and down, though I'm not sure the shows I've seen there have been sold out? Where else?
              none because they are not sold out...they are "over" sold during Fest...and the first one that comes to my mind is the Joy...it will still have great sound but you
              can't move or get back to bring your friend a beer..."say Hey!"...ha...ha...

5 stars for sound

1. Tips...if I can get upstairs all is great...4 stars
              2. Civic...5 stars
              3. Saenger...4.5 stars
              4. Orpheum...5 stars
              5. HOB...not sure where the hate comes from...4.5 stars
              6. Joy...just to crowded during Fest...but if its someone I really want to see I will still go...5 stars

Bars that have music:

1. Ace Hotel....4.5 stars
              2. d.b.a........4 stars
              3. Republic...4 stars
              4. Blue Nile...because I always have a blast...4 stars
              5. Carrolton Station...because I always have a blast...3.5 stars
              6. Spotted Cat and Apple Barrel...its Frenchmen St. and yes it will be crowded...its Fest!!

way...way...down Howlin Wolf...I agree with Fich my body cannot take it...I have not been in years...

Comment

Jordan, thanks for the reminder. I loooove Music Box Village. I've already committed to Friday night shows both weekends so I'm hoping they do more than just Friday night shows this year.

Comment

Still like D.B.A. and Snug on Frenchmen. The rest? Nah.
                  Gasa Gasa has become a favorite mostly because they get good new acts
                  Tips? Sure, but it depends on how heavy the tourist crowd is. Lots of AirBroandBros is a no go, same with the Mardi Gras shows.
                  Chickie's but mostly for the gigs they book.
                  Poor Boys, definitely becoming a fav. Please don't ruin this spot
                  One Eyed Jack's, miss the Shim Sham, but this place is still solid
                  Maple Leaf, yeah why not. Miss Sundays there. (Hope nobody needs to poop.)

Clubs/spots I miss:
                  Little People's (Fucking gentrifiers)
                  Joe's Cozy Corner (Joe, wtf?)
                  Dixie Tavern
                  Mermaid

Comment

Wow, a lot of good information here. Thanks everyone.

I haven't been to as many places as I would like in New Orleans but, when compiling my list of favorites, I realize that I am willing to give a lot of leeway to a place if I've had a great time. Tip's for instance: Last year, for the Big Freedia/ Tank show it was as crowded as I've ever been. I could have licked the head of the person in front of me, should I have wanted to and if it was socially acceptable, (I didn't and it's not) It was so crowded, you had to hold your drink close to your face if you wanted any. But, it was one of the best times I can remember and I'm sure I will try to recreate it at some point this year. Btw, when Freedia walked out before saying or doing anything, my girlfriend turned to me and said, "Thank you." I knew she'd love it.

Speaking of Freedia, the whole reason I started this thread is we are thinking of going to Repuiblic for Freedia fest Second Saturday. (We wanted to go to the Karl Denson/ Aretha tribute show but, GA floor is sold out?) But, the reviews on Yelp for Republic are really bad. So, i figured you all would steer me the right way. So far, the right way, seems to be, "Meh, it kinda sucks but, you'll probably live."

Here are my favorites:
                    Old Point. I think it's just fun to take a ferry someplace else, even if it is just another neighborhood. I also like that one of my friends tried to get a Sazerac there and they told him to take his ass back across the river.

Tip's. Always fun, especially during IAC.

Banks Street bar. It's right down the street from our spot and it's not as digusting as it used to be.

D.B.A. Once again, I've been very crowded in there but, the sound was great as were the sight lines.

Orpheum and the Joy. Always had plenty of room and easy access to the bar.

Not really a venue per se but, that spot at City Park where they do Threadhead Thursday. besides the occasional mosquito, it's pretty great.

Comment

best line of the day so far..."they told him to take his ass back across the river."...ha...ha...

if you want to do the Republic...get your ticket in advance...if you do will call you have to stand in line twice...get there about
                      thirty min early...once inside go to the right...bar and restroom are to the right...and get up front the best you can...and do not
                      get stuck behind one of the poles and you should be alright...if you are late forget about it...you will be in the back...good luck

Comment

Since this is becoming a walk down memory lane, anyone else at Jimmy's Club on Thur. May 1st 1997 for George Porter & Runnin' Pardners?

What about the Dream Palace for the Radiators on the Sunday before Mardi Gras back in '99? No Amsterdam coffeeshop ever got that smoked-out, roll 'em up right on the bar, no problem for the staff who were all probably too coked-up and X'ed out to notice

Live Bait or The Dock for Rads shows in the late 90's?

The Dock's "box office" consisted of a bored-stiff waitress sullenly taking $15 from people who for some unknown reason seemed desperate to give someone, anyone admission money, instead of just confidently walking into the tiny, cleared out meeting room in the back where they set the band up. The whole thing made Tuesday karaoke night at the downtown Spokane Applebees look Pink Floyd-level professional by comparison...
                        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 01-31-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                          Speaking of sold out, I had a conversation with Rob Mercurio, suggesting what we had talked about here-reducing what sold out means at Tips by at least 50, and increasing ticket prices by $5 to make up for it. He liked it and was going to discuss with his people. Only time will tell if they decided to go that direction. Do y'all think 50 less bodies would make a noticeable difference there?
                          Thanks for sharing that with him.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                            I do not like Saturn Bar but that's primarily for all the aspects that make it kind of charming- it feels like a tinder box, it is definitely on my CTS list (closed toe shoe list), the bathroom is garbage.
                            and I love Saturn Bar for the exact reasons you don't Its just a classic dive bar to me. Although Ken suggested we watch one of the Saints games from there and I turned it down - unless you get there early and get on of the few barstools, the couches and other chairs are NOT comfortable.

My favorite music venue is Chickie Wah Wah for many of the reasons other's have said. And while its not always perfect, I love Tips because of the history.. I just want the walls to talk to me. I feel it every time I walk in.

I avoid Sugar Mill, Howlin Wolf, and RNB.

Comment

Maple Leaf is my favorite when not to crowded. Tips too.

I love dba but it's hard to deal with when they have music. Ive been forced out of the main room before, gheesh. I'm sort of down on the Frenchmen St bars at the moment.

What was Jimmy's like back in the day? good place to see a band?

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                                Jordan, thanks for the reminder. I loooove Music Box Village. I've already committed to Friday night shows both weekends so I'm hoping they do more than just Friday night shows this year.
                                Has the Music Box Village announced their Jazzfest lineup? I'd love to go back there for a show.

Comment

Working...
                                X