No announcement yet.

Best and Worst Venues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I walked by the old Café Brazil spot last night. The interior is basically the same and a great jazz foursome was on stage. It was a flashback for sure. The telling thing is NOBODY was in there. Not one paying customer. By comparison, all the other clubs were packed. For fans of Café Brazil, I recommend a trip to the old space to see it while you can. The business model will eventually follow the Bourbanization of the other clubs on Frenchmen. Even DBA has a food kiosk where the old inlet was.

Comment

For me, I like Rock n Bowl. The sound is excellent and usually plenty of room for dancing. The people are friendly. I don't like John's politics, but I don't go there for politics. I wanna zydeco, and it's the only place in town for that. And it's inexpensive to see shows there,

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Never had a n issue with Tip's being overcrowded and I've been going there since the 89s. In fact I've never gone there and didn't wind up close to the stage with little effort. Glad that they are working on the sound which ahs never been all that great.
        Consider yourself lucky. I've been there on numerous occasions where it was severely packed. It's a great venue when they don't oversell the place. When they do it sucks.

Comment

Had a couple fun nights at the Ooh Poo Pah Doo, first one was kind of mixed as it was the Monday after when we had just heard about Trumpet Black dying in Japan. Lot of great energy in that room though...

Comment

I remember seeing the Nevilles at Tip's in the early 90's and it was a sauna, packed to the gils. But it was a religious experience as the crowd was one with the band.

Things have changed, in my view, such that you don't seem to have that whole room being into the music feeling as much. People up toward the stage are there for the band, the 2nd half of the room is for socializing, drinking and talking. That makes putting up with a packed house there less appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Things have changed, in my view, such that you don't seem to have that whole room being into the music feeling as much. People up toward the stage are there for the band, the 2nd half of the room is for socializing, drinking and talking. That makes putting up with a packed house there less appealing.
              That's exactly what happens. The back half of the room hardly pays any attention to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                I remember seeing the Nevilles at Tip's in the early 90's and it was a sauna, packed to the gils. But it was a religious experience as the crowd was one with the band.

Spot on. I saw The Nevilles there in '89 on my second night ever in New Orleans. The a/c sucked but the music, the club and the vibe were amazing. The only good thing about all of the people who go and are not all that interested in the music is that I never have a problem getting up front.

Comment

Hate to say it but most clubs here suck during Jazz Fest. Overcrowded and way too many people talking and taking pix and videos. The Civic is probably my favorite venue in town. Wish they had more shows there. Ramp Room at the Gem is pretty cool. Love going to The Ace Hotel for the music and sound and it's usually free. Love Tip's and The Leaf just because it's always a party. You can keep Frenchman St(esp during JF - ok on a Mon or Tues) except for Snug Harbor. Way too many dopey people and hustlers. Miss Cafe Brazil, Donna's, Jimmy's, Muddy Waters, Funky Butt, Mermaid and back in the day The Glass House and Neville Bros shrine Benny's. It was cool years ago when you went up to The Leaf there were 4 clubs you could choose from and it was cheap to get in any of them.
                  Yep, I spent many a fest night bouncing from Carrollton Station to Jimmy's to Muddy Waters to the Maple Leaf and back again during set breaks - back then, covers were only $5 so it was doable

Comment

The Repubic is pretty terrible and I try to avoid it at all costs. The Maple Leat is my favorite, but can suck if you get sick if you get stuck in the back. I also absolutely love Cafe Istanbul, despite the high prices during jazzfest.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                      I walked by the old Café Brazil spot last night. The interior is basically the same and a great jazz foursome was on stage. It was a flashback for sure. The telling thing is NOBODY was in there. Not one paying customer. By comparison, all the other clubs were packed. For fans of Café Brazil, I recommend a trip to the old space to see it while you can. The business model will eventually follow the Bourbanization of the other clubs on Frenchmen. Even DBA has a food kiosk where the old inlet was.
                      What's the place called now, Gregg?

Comment

Originally posted by innertube View Post
                        best line of the day so far..."they told him to take his ass back across the river."...ha...ha...

if you want to do the Republic...get your ticket in advance...if you do will call you have to stand in line twice...get there about
                        thirty min early...once inside go to the right...bar and restroom are to the right...and get up front the best you can...and do not
                        get stuck behind one of the poles and you should be alright...if you are late forget about it...you will be in the back...good luck
                        You say "poles," I say gargantuan ancient roman pillars. Tomato, tomahto

Comment

Originally posted by SweetOlive View Post

What's the place called now, Gregg?
                          Favella Chic. For the life of me I don't understand why the guy who owns the building is okay with it, but I guess it just comes down to money. It was a great place to hear music back in the day. A big, open space with good visibility and a great vibe. A really miss the old Cafe Brasil.

Comment

Originally posted by tuggernuts View Post
                            The Repubic is pretty terrible and I try to avoid it at all costs. The Maple Leat is my favorite, but can suck if you get sick if you get stuck in the back. I also absolutely love Cafe Istanbul, despite the high prices during jazzfest.
                            The Repubic is the old Howlin' Wolf. Terrible setup/sight lines. I never liked going there although I've seen some great bands there over the years like Los Lobos, The Strokes, James Hall, Jon Spencer, John Scofield.....

Comment

The Repubic is the old Howlin' Wolf. Terrible setup/sight lines. I never liked going there although I've seen some great bands there over the years like Los Lobos, The Strokes, James Hall, Jon Spencer, John Scofield.....
                              Freudian Slip?

Comment

first 15 minutes, oh my
                                duane/clapton

Comment

Working...
                                X