Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice nine
    replied
    This thread brings to mind the Bruce Cockburn song 'Coldest Day of the Year"

Leave a comment:

• funkkjunkie
    replied
    Lows in the teens last week and a high of 72 tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Fred (Texas JF Fanatic)
    replied
    This thread had me thinking the coldest I've been. Once in my life it was below 20+. Ihad to google, we were living in Baton Rouge. 8+ degrees

December 22, 1989:
    The most significant cold spell of the century for the Deep South occurred from the 22 to the 26. New Orleans experienced 64 consecutive hours at or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and a total of 81 out of 82 hours below freezing. A total of 15 hours were below 15 degrees with the lowest reading of 11 degrees on the morning of the 23rd. A low temperature of 8 degrees was recorded at Baton Rouge. Snow and sleet paralyzed transportation systems where as much as two to four inches of snow accumulated in Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes. Snow and ice covered the ground in New Orleans. The greatest impact was on breakage of water pipes in homes and businesses. Over 100 fires resulted in the New Orleans area within a 24 hour period due to a loss of water pressure and improperly utilized heating sources. Ice formed over shallow lakes and waterways where commercial fishing took heavy losses. Five weather related deaths occurred in the service area during this rare Arctic outbreak.

Leave a comment:

• 20/20
    replied
    Ah Shamokin. The “big” town up the road a bit.

Leave a comment:

• jonnygospeltent
    replied
    Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

"Shamokin?" Shamokin??? Who in the heck here hails from that area? That is the area that my wife came from.
    My dad was born in Shamokin Pa.That's where we spent haf of our vacations. I decided to move there for a few years in the 80s The cheapest place to live.

Leave a comment:

• Gards
    replied
    Many years ago when did stuff at the Salt Lake Olympics

I left home the day after the Aus Open finished and flew to Salt Lake via LAX, I was a bit delirious from all the flying when I got to the office and did not really notice the cold.

One of my friends drove me up to where we stayed for a couple of months which was in the mountains up near Park City.

The next morning when I had to get up early for a meeting at Rice Eccles Stadium I think it was, my mate who was picking me up at 6.30 AM called to see if I had surfaced and then gleefully told me that it was -26. When I went outside I thought I was going to die. It was a big shock to my system when you consider that I had been in 100 degree weather only 2 days before

Leave a comment:

• fesstgeek
    replied
    Last Wed morning in Chicago my wife needed to be at her church at 7:30 AM to open the hall for a warming shelter they hosted. According to the car's thermometer it was -25°F when we left home (I think the temp at O'Hare was -23 that morning). Never have I wanted more to be in New Orleans!

Leave a comment:

• canadianjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by saturn View Post

Where are you? The lowest it got here in the Windsor-Detroit area was -13F (-25C)
    St. Thomas. I was counting in the wind chill.

Leave a comment:

• 20/20
    replied
    I myself prefer “Rollin’ in My Sweet Baby’s Arm’s” (thanks Buck Owens) even if she is a yankee from Shamokin (actually Mt. Carmel).

Leave a comment:

• ice nine
    replied
    When it gets below 20 you can find me in either the sauna or the steam room.

Leave a comment:

• 20/20
    replied
    Originally posted by steeleye View Post

-9 yesterday, -5 today in Wilkes-Siberia, Pa.

Must have been similar in Shamokin, jonny.
    "Shamokin?" Shamokin??? Who in the heck here hails from that area? That is the area that my wife came from.

Leave a comment:

• saturn
    replied
    Originally posted by canadianjohn View Post
    It was -40 here 2 days ago. That, by the way, is the same in Celsius as it is in Fahrenheit !
    Where are you? The lowest it got here in the Windsor-Detroit area was -13F (-25C)

Leave a comment:

• Gards
    replied
    It a pleasant 85 here in beachside Beaumaris at just after 1PM.

We have a slight sea breeze kicking in so it will not get too hot today, which is good as the mighty Sharks AKA Beaumaris Cricket Club ones are in the field today.

But tomorrow is meant to be 104 so I will head down for a swim before lunch time

Leave a comment:

• steeleye
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
    19 below in Beautiful Bellwood Illinois this morning.
    -9 yesterday, -5 today in Wilkes-Siberia, Pa.

Must have been similar in Shamokin, jonny.

Leave a comment:

• mateus
    replied
    Originally posted by BB Chgo View Post
    After 58 hours of sub zero temps, we're finally above freezing this morning in Chicago.

Saturday above freezing and possibly 50 degrees come Monday. It's been a wild ride over the last 3 days.
    Hear you, it was so nice finally being able to be outside, walk and breathe normally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X