Get over it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
    Did anybody on here play high school football?
    Absolutely. That is where young fellows learned the meaning to the term “”I got the snot knocked out of me” “outside (of course) and in cold weather typically.
    Last edited by 20/20; 1 week ago.

Comment

I'll add my two cents:
      1. I'm not over it. Not quite yet. Although the celebrations through-out the city on 2/3 were cathartic and helped.
      2. JGT is not an a-hole. Gives a great hug.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

You should add something like "The family wanted me to look after the business down here for a while, get some things straightened out, you know?"
        When people currently ask me that, I always answer "I'm from Chicago, but live here now. The family wanted me to look after the business down here for a while, get some things straightened out, you know?

Comment

So when does it become that you are "from here"? 20 years?, 30?, 40?.... Does it have to state it on your birth certificate? ....

Comment

Originally posted by rosetree View Post
            So when does it become that you are "from here"? 20 years?, 30?, 40?.... Does it have to state it on your birth certificate? ....
            I don't think you have to be born in NOLA, but you do need to be able to answer the inevitable follow-up question, where did you go to high school?
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

I don't think you have to be born in NOLA, but you do need to be able to answer the inevitable follow-up question, where did you go to high school?
              Is "LSU" an acceptable response?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                I am truly sorry that I started this post (exept for the great news from Delta),I did have sympathy for the ref because I screw up on my job occasionally putting the mail in the wrong PO Box.
                Thanks Jonny. We're still celebrating the good news like, well, like we won the Super Bowl or something.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

hmmmm, so Tulane and 40 years will not get me into the club....

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

That's the whole point, they are true, born & raised locals, full stop, and so aren't terrified of admitting that New Orleans isn't a utopian, trouble-free paradise, like some people on this board (none of whom are actually locals) seem to insist on.

All of the locals I know, both the ones whose family roots run generations deep in the soil of the Crescent City and the ones who put down roots of their own to start a new life in New Orleans would be the first to tell others that day to day life in the Big Easy is most certainly NOT, well, always actually easy.

(And from what I can tell, for both better AND worse, New Orleans is not just different from other American cities, it is truly a singular place, with a culture, history and undefinable mistique that makes her unique and distinctive from any other place on Earth.)
                    Oh, I can tell you first hand that "New Orleans isn't a utopian, trouble-free paradise". On the day we signed on our house everyone in town was glued to the media for news of the advancing hurricane, Gustav, the first to hit the city since Katrina. My real estate agent told us to change our flight and get out of town right after signing. The lawyer and agents were all talking about where they were going to evacuate for the duration of the storm. Everyone was telling us to expect looting if the house survived. The airport was a madhouse at six AM the next morning. The first night we actually stayed in the house we heard eight rapid fire gun shots two blocks from our house. A young man was shot that many times and, of course, killed by gang members. At another time the woman in the house behind us got robbed at gun point from her car about five minutes before we came walking up the street. A man was shot and killed about two blocks away one morning at about seven-thirty while he tried to prevent a neighbor from having her carjacked. And all this is in one of the safest areas of the city. Our sewer line collapsed and backed up into our yard costing us thousands to have it repaired. I have to hand it to the City there, they delivered on their side of that issue. I have had rats in my house and a group of raccoons opened up a winter social club in my attic. Don't even get me started on banana trees. Still, every day I'm in New Orleans I feel like I am getting away with something and I can't wait to get back down, which looks to be for Mardi Gras and my birthday which coincides this year with our neighborhood's Friendship Day street party.

Comment

I had more issues with crime living in Chicago than I do here. My latest 'incident' was one of those lovely $500 water bills that I'm contesting. That, along with a few parking tickets I got when parked legally brings to mind the phrase...
                      Some will rob you with a six-gun, And some with a fountain pen.

Comment

Working...
                      X