hints for the jazz fest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hints for the jazz fest

hi all travelling from scotland for the second week of the jazz fest looking for help tips etc main act i am coming to see is frankie beverley and maze. all help appreciated

Originally posted by tony View Post
    hi all travelling from scotland for the second week of the jazz fest looking for help tips etc main act i am coming to see is frankie beverley and maze. all help appreciated
    You'll probably get all kinds of hints here. One of our longtime members has a website full of great information. Go to Swagland.com . There's answers to most questions and lots of helpful hints.

Comment

Welcome aboard Tony. I happen to be a Frankie Beverly/Maze fan myself. Mostly for the very pleasant vibe/mood/ambiance that the group that he attracts at the fairgrounds projects. I just happened to stop by one Sunday afternoon years ago and had such an enjoyable experience that I make it a point to stop by for at least a spell every year now. Multi-racial crowd leaning heavily towards people of color that are just there to relax and socialize. Everyone is included, everyone is accepted and everyone is invited. If you look at a map of the fairgrounds you will see the Congo Square stage. That is where he will be playing. He will close out the final Sunday at that stage. You will also be able to see a set of bleachers alongside of the race track. Most often there are plenty of seats available and the sightline and sound is very acceptable there. You can stand and shake and shimmy if you are so inclined in that direction but the bleacher design pretty much inhibits dancing per se. So if you want to have freedom of movement than down upon the ground is where you need to be. Beverly and Maze are pretty mellow by nature so jumping and jiving does not normally come into play so much. Up front will be packed but from the middle towards the rear is always available and you are not giving up much with respect to sight and sound. Weather permitting it is quite a pleasant way with which to close out the weekend. However, if the Radiators are given their rightful and historical opportunity to close out the day at the Gentilly stage than watching the sun go down and the crowds from other stages exit and soaking up the last few notes of the "Rad's" while finishing off a cold beer from the rear of that stage area.......well that's where I can most likely be found.
      Enjoy Your Fest.......however you do it!

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
        Welcome aboard Tony. I happen to be a Frankie Beverly/Maze fan myself. Mostly for the very pleasant vibe/mood/ambiance that the group that he attracts at the fairgrounds projects. I just happened to stop by one Sunday afternoon years ago and had such an enjoyable experience that I make it a point to stop by for at least a spell every year now. Multi-racial crowd leaning heavily towards people of color that are just there to relax and socialize. Everyone is included, everyone is accepted and everyone is invited. If you look at a map of the fairgrounds you will see the Congo Square stage. That is where he will be playing. He will close out the final Sunday at that stage. You will also be able to see a set of bleachers alongside of the race track. Most often there are plenty of seats available and the sightline and sound is very acceptable there. You can stand and shake and shimmy if you are so inclined in that direction but the bleacher design pretty much inhibits dancing per se. So if you want to have freedom of movement than down upon the ground is where you need to be. Beverly and Maze are pretty mellow by nature so jumping and jiving does not normally come into play so much. Up front will be packed but from the middle towards the rear is always available and you are not giving up much with respect to sight and sound. Weather permitting it is quite a pleasant way with which to close out the weekend. However, if the Radiators are given their rightful and historical opportunity to close out the day at the Gentilly stage than watching the sun go down and the crowds from other stages exit and soaking up the last few notes of the "Rad's" while finishing off a cold beer from the rear of that stage area.......well that's where I can most likely be found.
        Enjoy Your Fest.......however you do it!
        thanks for the info really looking forward to the experience

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

You'll probably get all kinds of hints here. One of our longtime members has a website full of great information. Go to Swagland.com . There's answers to most questions and lots of helpful hints.
          thanks for the info will check that website out

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post

thanks for the info will check that website out
            Between that website and reading old threads here, you'll be sorted! My only tip would be to get to Liuzza's for a bloody mary or whatever around 10am, great crowd, and you'll be right there to get in when they open, which is occasionally before 11am...

Comment

Bring your own haggis.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Tony. Take Swag's advice about what to wear, how to get there, and what to bring and 20/20's about Frankie and Maze then don't make too many other plans. Wander and let Jazz Fest happen. You'll figure it out, and you'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ice nine View Post
                  Bring your own haggis.
                  lol will try catch one before i leave lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                    Welcome aboard, Tony. Take Swag's advice about what to wear, how to get there, and what to bring and 20/20's about Frankie and Maze then don't make too many other plans. Wander and let Jazz Fest happen. You'll figure it out, and you'll love it.
                    thanks kemp

Comment

Is there any place to check or store luggage in order to be able to go to fest directly from the airport? Or directly to the airport after fest?

Comment

PWashable footwear of any type. This is what I wear. They are very comfortable. I have to wear socks as the rubber will tear up your ankle. This provides the utmost passion killing appearance. If it rains the day of or even the day before, there will be plenty of mud to say the least.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tredsafe-...Clog/635138828

Here’s a blast from the past: https://youtu.be/y1E5hCB-3SQ
                        Last edited by Thraak; 02-11-2019, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ice nine View Post
                          Bring your own haggis.
                          I heard that Acme Oyster House was actually toying with the idea of abandoning the fresh Louisiana seafood concept to focus exclusively on an all haggis menu, although they will offer blood pudding or pineapple anchovie pizza for picky non-haggis lovers.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell101 View Post
                            Is there any place to check or store luggage in order to be able to go to fest directly from the airport? Or directly to the airport after fest?
                            The airport used to have a paid bag storage facility, but I think(?) that has closed. There's no place at or near the fest.

I don't usually recommend renting a car for the Jazzfest, but one idea to consider is to rent a car for just that one day. Some rental companies have locations downtown, and you can pick up there and drop off at the airport. Then just leave your luggage in the trunk while you're at the fest. Figure about $40 to park for the day at Cabrini High or the Deutsches Haus, both of which are more secure than street parking. For the reverse, coming from the airport, the downtown location may be closed by the time fets ends, if so add the cost of overnight parking downtown too.

Otherwise, make a quick stop your the hotel to leave bags at (or pick up from) the bell stand.

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thraak View Post
                              PWashable footwear of any type. This is what I wear. They are very comfortable. I have to wear socks as the rubber will tear up your ankle. This provides the utmost passion killing appearance. If it rains the day of or even the day before, there will be plenty of mud to say the least.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tredsafe-...Clog/635138828

Here’s a blast from the past: https://youtu.be/y1E5hCB-3SQ
                              lol hope to catch a little bit more sunshine but thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X