Discussion about climate change and music festivals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion about climate change and music festivals

In 2015, 32 million people traveled avg of 900 miles to music festivals, wasting at least 480 million gallons of fuel. That's over 17 billion kWh of electricity just to get to the festivals. That's enough electricity for 17 million homes for a month. This does not take account the amount of energy needed to power the festivals.

This is just a discussion. I know Shell is the sponsor for Jazz Fest. The Green New Deal made me think about this. If that was implemented our beloved fest would not be what it is today.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...istics-graphic

This is where my 'statics' came from.

Comment

I think those stats are erroneous, or at least measuring different things.

In particular: " Nielsen Music also reports that the average festival-goer travels an astounding 903 miles to attend a festival." I'm sure that number must the the average of just a subset of the total festival-goers, perhaps representing only those who travel far enough to stay overnight?

They say that "32 million people attended at least one U.S. music festival in 2014",.

I'd guess there are fewer than 100 US fests where more than half the attendees travel overnight. If it's 100, and if every single attendee travels, those fests would have to average over 300K people each - and that's not people-days attended, which is how fests like Jazzfest measure attendance, but people, counting multi-day attendees as just one. So no way. So the 32M number presumably includes people traveling just a few miles to day-trip to a local fest. That must be a large majority of the 32M.

But, yes, all travel has an environmental cost. It's something to consider when planning any leisure trip, I suppose...

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

That, my dear, is why I just gave in and moved to New Orleans as a full-time, permanent resident

Comment

Swag, your ifs and guesses are decent but they are not fact driven.

I agree that the billboard stats might not be factual but there is no denying that climate change is real and traveling hundreds of miles for personal satisfaction defeats the purpose of voting for politicians that want to implement laws that would effectively kill jazz fest and all must festivals.

The music industry and Jazz Fest do not want the consumer to know how many million homes could be powered if they weren't driving up consumer cost.

Sponsored by Shell.
          Last edited by UncleBuckDabs; 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

With the warming climate comes evaporation increase which means more rain so there is a 50/50 chance that it will rain if you are planning a couple months ahead of the fest. Rain or shine no refunds is a bitch.

Comment

Eat Mor Chikin

Comment

Grave concerns like this are exactly why I exclusively purchase Miller-Coors products, as they are made with only pure, 100% natural chemical ingredients, so no scarce wholesome, organic substances are needlessly consumed during the fabrication process.
                Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Hay UBD, nice to see your name back here on the board.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that a few years ago, on a thread about navigating the late night show scene during Jazzfest, you bravely admitted that your "Secret Weapon" (as it were) for fighting thru your eventual exhaustion was the judicious, sagacious use of a little bit of cocaine here & there, just enough to give a needed burst of energy when your spirits flagged.

Naturally, many were undoubtedly intrigued by your unorthodox methods, and with the ecological ethical issues you bring up here in this most recent thread, one wonders if you have found a distributor that can assure you of the "Fair Trade" certification of your neo-Bohemian, finely powdered fancy?
                  ---------------------------------
                  As the foresightful Green New Dealers would most certainly agree, "Ridin' That Train, High On Cocaine, Uncle Buck You Better Watch Your Speed..."
                  Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-09-2019, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I can no longer be a part of the problem. Does anybody want to buy my brass pass and Stones ticket? Only someone local, of course. Whew! I feel so much better. If only there was a wall, I would have no worries whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                      . Whew! I feel so much better. If only there was a wall, I would have no worries whatsoever.
                      On the bight side, like your musical idols The Rolling Stones, if I recall correctly you are of an extremely advanced age, so it won't be long when you will indeed have no worries to speak of...

"Well This Could Be The Last TIme, I Don't Know..."

Comment

Well I have done a lot of flying in the last few decades.

But I try to compensate by riding my pushie the rest of the time

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
                          Well I have done a lot of flying in the last few decades.

But I try to compensate by riding my pushie the rest of the time
                          I hope that doesn't mean that you've given up hope on the Platypus Powered riksha idea you have been painstakingly designing over the past few years?

Those tragic early fatalities during Beta testing were NOT your fault, as the test pilots had obviously been drinking on the sly before taking the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

On the bight side, like your musical idols The Rolling Stones, if I recall correctly you are of an extremely advanced age, so it won't be long when you will indeed have no worries to speak of...

"Well This Could Be The Last TIme, I Don't Know..."

I used to think that time was on my side, but now I know that time waits for no one. Get off of my cloud. Look at that stupid girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I used to think that time was on my side, but now I know that time waits for no one. Get off of my cloud. Look at that stupid girl!
                              Well, at least you still have your sense of humor, and of course your beloved Zydeco dancing and your even more beloved endlessly prattling on & on about said aforementioned Zydeco dancing, so there's always that.

Oh, wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X